Antler knife handle?

Got it! Those touches are classy and really easy to do with a lathe.

Got it! Those touches are classy and really easy to do with a lathe.
I personally would be exceptionally cautious about doing anything like that myself on a $3.5K rifle... but I can always ask the guy I'm gonna order through if he has a suggestion. Shiloh might even do it.

Back to the knife, though, I hadn't really considered what time period the blade fits into. As part of an ensemble of guns and leather, I want it to fit into the 1880s through maybe the 1920s. Mix of the height of the Old West and the turn-of-the-century/post-WWI exploration all over Africa and the Americas. A lot of the hunters and explorers (and one notable US Army officer) of the period were still packing such things, so I've no issue with joining them in the style.

Here's a pretty good book showing a cross section of designs within the time frame of interest which would also include Australia. The blending of styles is common among the examples. Ken Burton does a pretty good job of providing an overview.

I placed a couple of examples on the book covering the period of interest. The top knife is a Nowill and Sons, Sheffield, ca 1855. The bottom is a Wostenholm, Sheffield, ca 1895-1900.

Bowie knife book- Burton.JPG

Here's a pretty good book showing a cross section of designs within the time frame of interest which would also include Australia. The blending of styles is common among the examples. Ken Burton does a pretty good job of providing an overview.

I placed a couple of examples on the book covering the period of interest. The top knife is a Nowill and Sons, Sheffield, ca 1855. The bottom is a Wostenholm, Sheffield, ca 1895-1900.

View attachment 422286
Man why are all the good books out of print...

@Von Gruff When drilling the handle for a knife like this, do I want to drill a round hole with the same diameter as the tang width, or do I want to try and make a tighter-fitting rectangular hole with a couple of drill-throughs about the same thickness as the tang?

Personally, I drill a hole a bit bigger than the widest dimension of the tang, then use a smaller bit and make a few offshoots for the epoxy to spread into and hold, like roots.
I realize I'm not von Gruff, but I have made a few knives.

I also like to notch the tang with the edge of a belt or a dremel so the epoxy has some texture to grab there.

@Von Gruff When drilling the handle for a knife like this, do I want to drill a round hole with the same diameter as the tang width, or do I want to try and make a tighter-fitting rectangular hole with a couple of drill-throughs about the same thickness as the tang?
I drill a hole with diameter of the tang thickness but if there is more than two diameters wide I drill a pair of holes and have a piece of commercial hacksaw blade set into a handle as a broaching tool to clean out the web between the holes or conversly open up the single hole to make a snug fitting for the tang, As @freefall says notch the tang to give the epoxy a gripping area and it should all make a nice tight hold on the tang.
Make sure to temper the pice of commercial hacksaw blade (@450*f as it will break quite easily if the apprentice is a bit rough with the broaching :giggle:
20210922_172716.jpg

I drill a hole with diameter of the tang thickness but if there is more than two diameters wide I drill a pair of holes and have a piece of commercial hacksaw blade set into a handle as a broaching tool to clean out the web between the holes or conversly open up the single hole to make a snug fitting for the tang, As @freefall says notch the tang to give the epoxy a gripping area and it should all make a nice tight hold on the tang.
Make sure to temper the pice of commercial hacksaw blade (@450*f as it will break quite easily if the apprentice is a bit rough with the broaching :giggle:
View attachment 425784
Right on. I think for this highly experimental attempt I've got it figured out. Working with epoxy (which I've never done before) concerns me a bit more than the rest of it, lol.

Right on. I think for this highly experimental attempt I've got it figured out. Working with epoxy (which I've never done before) concerns me a bit more than the rest of it, lol.
I use West Systems slow set (24hr) epoxy and with the 24 hr type you have a good 20 minutes to assemble so plenty of time. The slow set is stronger than any of the 5 minute types. Clean up with acetone on all parts before assembly and after clamping together. check again after about a 1/2 hr as there is often a slow squeeze out. I keep a piece of antler tip ground to a chisel tip to scrape off any that is starting to set up as the antler will not mark the finished knife blade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois