Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD), Botswana
Study confirms this method of repelling ticks really works - CBS News

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tick-repellent-permethrin-clothing-really-works-study/

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 8.47.21 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing. Confirms what people on this site knew already. What do people think of the .5% concentration. Thought that was a little light as I use 1.5-2%. Am I doing it wrong?

Saw this report as well. It’s good to know that it works. And just think the stuff comes from flowers.

Thanks for sharing. Confirms what people on this site knew already. What do people think of the .5% concentration. Thought that was a little light as I use 1.5-2%. Am I doing it wrong?

Everything I've ever read say .5%, so that's what I mix to. More does not mean better and could be potentially unhealthy I would think.

One can buy permethrin concentrate from tractor supply and make their own.

I just thought it was interesting since everyone here already recommends doing this. Now science agrees. Figured it would help out some of the people that ask about ticks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 9.10.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 9.10.25 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 164
Reactions: lcq
I mix my own and have used it for the last couple of years, this year I have sat on or close to the ground in the woods in central pa. for 13 days and have been tick free. I spray my cloths and boots a week before the turkey season and mist every few days there after.

You can buy giant spray bottles of the stuff from Home Depot, fairly cheap. That what I did for my trip.

Of course where I live no tick problem, the fire ants take care of those.

There is even a company that you can send your clothes to and they will treat it for you....for $7-10 per item depending how many items you send! A little pricey, but they claim they have a process that will last for 70 washings.

I mix my own and have used it for the last couple of years, this year I have sat on or close to the ground in the woods in central pa. for 13 days and have been tick free. I spray my cloths and boots a week before the turkey season and mist every few days there after.
I hunt on Long Island NY , my spot is a ground blind against a fallen tree. I think we have the highest concentrations of ticks seen anywhere. But I have been using Sawyers permethrin clothes treatment for almond 10 yrs and it is amazing how much it works. I literally have to walk through a grass field to get to spot (would be covered in ticks). Stuff works great. $10 bottle for whole season. Just follow directions Do not get on your skin! This Turkey season, it was raining the night before and got humid in morning had a massive swarm of mosquitoes attack me but about 1 minute layer they all disappeared. Again probably the most important thing to a heathy and happy hunt

This goes a long way to explaining why permethrin impregnated clothing is banned in Canada. Because it makes too much sense and it works.

Why has the government banned this? Explanation? None offered. But interesting to note that that same government provides permethrin treated clothing to Canadian Armed Forces.

if it is good enough for the US and Canadian military (illegal in Canada) it is more than good enough for me. Stuff has been around in the US since Christ was a choirboy. It works

This goes a long way to explaining why permethrin impregnated clothing is banned in Canada. Because it makes too much sense and it works.

Why has the government banned this? Explanation? None offered. But interesting to note that that same government provides permethrin treated clothing to Canadian Armed Forces.

I used to work for DND, Health Canada and Public Works. I have a great story on permethrin.

Story starts at PWGSC where the Pesticide Management Review Agency (health Canada arm) gives special permission for our troops to use permethrin pouches to treat uniforms (overseas use only). A year later I'm working for DND and tasked with finding a way to get permethrin out of uniforms returning to the country. Heaven forbid that our troops be exposed to what they were ordered to wear outside Canada. The whole fiasco just confirms that government policy never gets changed once implemented and only gets worse, case in point the bogus lead shot ban for waterfowl and soon to be lead ammo and fishing talk ban. Where is the eyeball icon

names and explicit details left out to protect the guilty and incompetent

I used to work for DND, Health Canada and Public Works. I have a great story on permethrin.

Story starts at PWGSC where the Pesticide Management Review Agency (health Canada arm) gives special permission for our troops to use permethrin pouches to treat uniforms (overseas use only). A year later I'm working for DND and tasked with finding a way to get permethrin out of uniforms returning to the country. Heaven forbid that our troops be exposed to what they were ordered to wear outside Canada. The whole fiasco just confirms that government policy never gets changed once implemented and only gets worse, case in point the bogus lead shot ban for waterfowl and soon to be lead ammo and fishing talk ban. Where is the eyeball icon

names and explicit details left out to protect the guilty and incompetent
People who have no knowledge of how government works would never believe stuff like this. So thanks for posting.

I saw an article recently in the Globe which suggested that Lime disease would spread in many parts of Canada as a result of climate change. I can only hope that at some point, regulators decide that Canadians are no more sensitive than Americans, and no more sensitive in Canada than outside Canada, and allow us to use one of the best tools available to protect ourselves.

I get around the problem easily - my kids live in the US and I use them as trans-shipment points for contraband clothing and permethrin. But not everyone has that option.

If only government would get out of the way . . .

Like many here, I've bought the concentrated permethrin and diluted/mixed in a 1 gallon pump up sprayer. I spray my clothing items, and place in a large plastic bag, as directed, so that the cloths soak overnight and don't dry too quickly. After that, hang on hangers a few days to completely dry and good to go.

https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

Permenthrin is used to dip dogs for fleas and ticks, and when I was in the Yukon, the outfitter did a twice a day application on horses for flies and mosquitos.

Permethrin is rated safe to use in food preparation and service areas. However, I did notice a warning on Martins Permethrins website FAQ

Q
Can Martins Permethrin 10% be used to spray clothing?
A
Martins Permethrin 10% should NOT be applied to clothing. We do carry Tick Block which is specifically formulated for use on clothing. While both products do contain permethrin, the formulation of Martins Permethrin 10% contains materials that should not come into contact with your skin.

People who have no knowledge of how government works would never believe stuff like this. So thanks for posting.

I saw an article recently in the Globe which suggested that Lime disease would spread in many parts of Canada as a result of climate change. I can only hope that at some point, regulators decide that Canadians are no more sensitive than Americans, and no more sensitive in Canada than outside Canada, and allow us to use one of the best tools available to protect ourselves.

I get around the problem easily - my kids live in the US and I use them as trans-shipment points for contraband clothing and permethrin. But not everyone has that option.

If only government would get out of the way . . .

amen to that. government is very good at growing, fleecing taxpayers and justifying their existence and not much else. I remember hearing "Canadian data" all the time, FFS like Americans, Europeans and Asians are somehow genetically different. I consider it a major accomplishment that I managed 30 years without losing my mind or going postal.

I recently came back from my first safari. A couple of months before I left I went to a travel clinic at the the advice of my Dr. They recommended I treat my clothes with permethrin. I was told it would keep insects, like misquotes away. While I was hunting the PH and tracker were constantly finding ticks on them. I found very few ticks on me. The PHs and hunters complained about ticks. I wondered if it was keeping them at bay. I didn’t know until I got home that it worked on ticks. I don’t think I saw a misqoito until I got back to Florida.

Jay

I recently came back from my first safari. A couple of months before I left I went to a travel clinic at the the advice of my Dr. They recommended I treat my clothes with permethrin. I was told it would keep insects, like misquotes away. While I was hunting the PH and tracker were constantly finding ticks on them. I found very few ticks on me. The PHs and hunters complained about ticks. I wondered if it was keeping them at bay. I didn’t know until I got home that it worked on ticks. I don’t think I saw a misqoito until I got back to Florida.

Jay

Early fall deer hunting here in the east is tick city. Without permethrin, I'd be covered with them. With it, zero ticks brought home. Good to spray on your shoes too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg