Anti-Tick Clothing Works Or So Science Says

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Mike B, May 26, 2018.

1. Mike B

Mike B AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD)
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2018

2. MMAL

MMAL GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
    Thanks for sharing. Confirms what people on this site knew already. What do people think of the .5% concentration. Thought that was a little light as I use 1.5-2%. Am I doing it wrong?

3. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Saw this report as well. It’s good to know that it works. And just think the stuff comes from flowers.

4. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)

Everything I've ever read say .5%, so that's what I mix to. More does not mean better and could be potentially unhealthy I would think.

Hogpatrol and Mike B like this.

5. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    One can buy permethrin concentrate from tractor supply and make their own.

bilmcc, lcq and Mike B like this.

6. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Or order off Amazon

lcq, Hogpatrol and Mike B like this.

7. Mike B

Mike B AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC - Lifetime Member, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Argentina, US (TX, NM, SD)
    I just thought it was interesting since everyone here already recommends doing this. Now science agrees. Figured it would help out some of the people that ask about ticks.

375 Ruger Fan and Royal27 like this.

8. Hogpatrol

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX

Attached Files:

lcq likes this.

9. leslie hetrick

leslie hetrick AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    several sporting clubs
    Hunted:
    several
    I mix my own and have used it for the last couple of years, this year I have sat on or close to the ground in the woods in central pa. for 13 days and have been tick free. I spray my cloths and boots a week before the turkey season and mist every few days there after.

10. wesheltonj

wesheltonj AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Benefactor-Life NRA, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    You can buy giant spray bottles of the stuff from Home Depot, fairly cheap. That what I did for my trip.

Of course where I live no tick problem, the fire ants take care of those.

Royal27 likes this.

11. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    There is even a company that you can send your clothes to and they will treat it for you....for $7-10 per item depending how many items you send! A little pricey, but they claim they have a process that will last for 70 washings.

12. Don458

Don458 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA USPSA Brooklyn schuetzen corp
    I hunt on Long Island NY , my spot is a ground blind against a fallen tree. I think we have the highest concentrations of ticks seen anywhere. But I have been using Sawyers permethrin clothes treatment for almond 10 yrs and it is amazing how much it works. I literally have to walk through a grass field to get to spot (would be covered in ticks). Stuff works great. $10 bottle for whole season. Just follow directions Do not get on your skin! This Turkey season, it was raining the night before and got humid in morning had a massive swarm of mosquitoes attack me but about 1 minute layer they all disappeared. Again probably the most important thing to a heathy and happy hunt

Ironhorse375 and Hogpatrol like this.

13. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    This goes a long way to explaining why permethrin impregnated clothing is banned in Canada. Because it makes too much sense and it works.

Why has the government banned this? Explanation? None offered. But interesting to note that that same government provides permethrin treated clothing to Canadian Armed Forces.

Mojo1961 and lcq like this.

14. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    if it is good enough for the US and Canadian military (illegal in Canada) it is more than good enough for me. Stuff has been around in the US since Christ was a choirboy. It works

Hogpatrol likes this.

15. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    I used to work for DND, Health Canada and Public Works. I have a great story on permethrin.

Story starts at PWGSC where the Pesticide Management Review Agency (health Canada arm) gives special permission for our troops to use permethrin pouches to treat uniforms (overseas use only). A year later I'm working for DND and tasked with finding a way to get permethrin out of uniforms returning to the country. Heaven forbid that our troops be exposed to what they were ordered to wear outside Canada. The whole fiasco just confirms that government policy never gets changed once implemented and only gets worse, case in point the bogus lead shot ban for waterfowl and soon to be lead ammo and fishing talk ban. Where is the eyeball icon

names and explicit details left out to protect the guilty and incompetent

Mojo1961, Hank2211 and Hogpatrol like this.

16. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    People who have no knowledge of how government works would never believe stuff like this. So thanks for posting.

I saw an article recently in the Globe which suggested that Lime disease would spread in many parts of Canada as a result of climate change. I can only hope that at some point, regulators decide that Canadians are no more sensitive than Americans, and no more sensitive in Canada than outside Canada, and allow us to use one of the best tools available to protect ourselves.

I get around the problem easily - my kids live in the US and I use them as trans-shipment points for contraband clothing and permethrin. But not everyone has that option.

If only government would get out of the way . . .

Mojo1961, lcq and Hogpatrol like this.

17. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Like many here, I've bought the concentrated permethrin and diluted/mixed in a 1 gallon pump up sprayer. I spray my clothing items, and place in a large plastic bag, as directed, so that the cloths soak overnight and don't dry too quickly. After that, hang on hangers a few days to completely dry and good to go.

https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/

Permenthrin is used to dip dogs for fleas and ticks, and when I was in the Yukon, the outfitter did a twice a day application on horses for flies and mosquitos.

Permethrin is rated safe to use in food preparation and service areas. However, I did notice a warning on Martins Permethrins website FAQ

Q
    Can Martins Permethrin 10% be used to spray clothing?
    A
    Martins Permethrin 10% should NOT be applied to clothing. We do carry Tick Block which is specifically formulated for use on clothing. While both products do contain permethrin, the formulation of Martins Permethrin 10% contains materials that should not come into contact with your skin.

Mojo1961, geoff rath and MMAL like this.

18. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    amen to that. government is very good at growing, fleecing taxpayers and justifying their existence and not much else. I remember hearing "Canadian data" all the time, FFS like Americans, Europeans and Asians are somehow genetically different. I consider it a major accomplishment that I managed 30 years without losing my mind or going postal.

geoff rath and Hogpatrol like this.

19. Jay Bucher

Jay Bucher AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    I recently came back from my first safari. A couple of months before I left I went to a travel clinic at the the advice of my Dr. They recommended I treat my clothes with permethrin. I was told it would keep insects, like misquotes away. While I was hunting the PH and tracker were constantly finding ticks on them. I found very few ticks on me. The PHs and hunters complained about ticks. I wondered if it was keeping them at bay. I didn’t know until I got home that it worked on ticks. I don’t think I saw a misqoito until I got back to Florida.

Jay

geoff rath likes this.

20. Hogpatrol

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Early fall deer hunting here in the east is tick city. Without permethrin, I'd be covered with them. With it, zero ticks brought home. Good to spray on your shoes too.

Mojo1961 and lcq like this.