Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA, SCI
Hunted
RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX, ME
Tanzania launches manhunt after poachers kill British helicopter pilot

DAR ES SALAAM (Reuters) - Tanzanian authorities have launched a manhunt after poachers shot down a helicopter and its British pilot during an operation to track down elephant killers, officials said on Sunday.British pilot Roger Gower was tracking poachers on Friday in the Maswa Game Reserve when his helicopter was hit by an AK-47 rifle fired from the ground, Tanzania's tourism and natural resources minister, Jumanne Maghembe, said.

The mission had been a collaboration between the Friedkin Conservation Fund and the Tanzanian government, which has struggled to respond to what conservation groups say has been an explosion of "industrial-scale" poaching in recent years. "The government has launched a manhunt to find those responsible for this attack," Maghembe told reporters.

Dan Friedkin, chairman of the Friedkin Conservation Fund, said that Gower had been engaged in a coordinated effort with Tanzanian wildlife authorities to track down elephant poachers when his helicopter was shot down. He died in the crash.

"This tragic event again highlights the appalling risk and cost of protecting Tanzania's wildlife," Friedkin said in a statement.

A June census found that the elephant population in Tanzania, which depends heavily on its safari tourism industry, has declined from 110,000 in 2009 to a little over 43,000 in 2014.Demand for ivory from fast-growing Asian economies such as China and Vietnam, where it is turned into jewels and ornaments, has led to a rise in poaching across sub-Saharan Africa.Tanzanian authorities said they have made progress over the past months in their crackdown on illegal poaching.

Last October, it brought charges against a prominent Chinese businesswoman Yang Feng Glan, 66, dubbed the "Ivory Queen," for running a network that smuggled out tusks from 350 elephants.

Maghembe's deputy at the ministry, Ramo Makani, told Reuters that five suspects had been arrested since Gower's death and that the operation is still underway for the remaining suspects.

He also said that a second person who was travelling in the helicopter had survived the incident and is being treated for minor injuries and shock.

(Reporting by Fumbuka Ng'wanakilala; Editing by Edith Honan and Angus MacSwan)

They need Apache Helicopters for these ops, the apache makes people that are contemplating ground Fire rethink there life decisions. Although there is nothing more personal than a well placed bullet from a rifle, nothing is more terrifying than the earth churning from a mini gun.
RIP Mr. Gowers, hope your killer burns for eternity!

They need Apache Helicopters for these ops, the apache makes people that are contemplating ground Fire rethink there life decisions. Although there is nothing more personal than a well placed bullet from a rifle, nothing is more terrifying than the earth churning from a mini gun.

MD500 with dual 7.62 minis.

God Bless Mike Dillon for helping all of those troubled souls find what they are seeking in the after life! Lol

News just broke that they have arrested 3 poachers in connection with this crime. I'm betting its just the tip of the iceberg. Hope they got all of them and they are punished fully.

Yes indeed. I have looked at the Apache up close at the air shows here in Tucson. They are bad to the bone.

Let us hope you have not died in vain, Mr Gowers. RIP.

Prayers....

Sympathy to his family and loved ones. His efforts in the on going poachers war will be appreciated.

It is a great shame that good people lose their lives over ivory. One of Robin Hurt's PH's lost his life in a poacher ambush in the same area.

Correct Brent Andre de Kock, was killed in 2011.

News just broke that they have arrested 3 poachers in connection with this crime. I'm betting its just the tip of the iceberg. Hope they got all of them and they are punished fully.

killed is the only proper punishment.

Prayers to his family and love ones . Forrest

I have just heard the co-pilot is a good friend of mine, his family were farmers in my hometown. He should have a full recovery. We pray for a speedy and full recovery.

1364037357297.jpg

Sad... condolences to the Gower family and friends.
The war must go on against these poaching criminals!!

Very sad! Under gunned if gunned at all and not properly trained to understand that ground fire can bring rotary aircraft down quickly! Even small arms! What this does do is emphasize the nature of the threat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!