Anti-poaching - Etosha gets patrol camp

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Yahoo Japan, GEF and UNDP donate N $ 5 million

"Security has been sharpened in other areas and national parks as focal points that have not yet been affected by poaching, but I will not tell poachers where we are; we are waiting for you or the rhinos will take care of you."

This was the warning of the Minister of Environment and Tourism, Mr. Pohamba Shifeta, to prospective wild poachers, when he officially opened the Skerpioenbult counterstropping patrol camp in the Etosha National Park on Saturday.

"With the continued support of our partners, the Namibian government has allocated considerable resources and deployed security forces in focal areas. We have also strengthened security in other areas," the minister said.

The construction of the N $ 5 million camp was made using Yahoo Japan as well as the World Environment Facility (GEF) and United Nations Development Program (UNDP) Protected Areas Systems Enhancement Project (Pass).

"Christmas contribution builds a strong bridge in the fight against poaching," said Shifeta.

"The patrol camp will provide for the deployment of law enforcement officers and serve as a strategic point for ordering and co-ordinating anti-dumping activities. I emphasize contempt because it is our goal to stop poaching. That's why we must act in advance and prevent poaching." minister said

He believes the Skerpioenbult camp is another step in the fight against poaching.

The minister once again confirmed that poaching rates dropped, with 27 rhinos poached this year against 2016's 60, as well as 20 elephants compared to last year's 101.

According to Shifeta, Pass in 2014 was implemented by GEF and UNDP at about N $ 50 million (US $ 4 million) and will end in March 2018.

He said 70% of the project budget was spent on law enforcement and counter-strike. These include the provision of water (boreholes, water tanks and cars); camping equipment (tents, sleeping bags and pots); sanitation (toilets of all anti-patrol patrol camps), communication equipment (radio networks and satellite phones); crime investigation equipment such as metal detectors; the construction of the anti-tipping training center in the Waterberg National Park; the national antitrust awareness campaign and the training of prosecutors and investigators.

According to the minister, the entire project was implemented in the national parks of Etosha, Waterberg, Khaudum and Bwabwata, as well as the Kunenstreek.

Shifeta also praised the countercrackers' work: "It's not an easy job and they have to make a lot of sacrifices. They have to leave their families for a long time and spend many days in the field walking hundreds of miles in nature and their living at stake because of armed poachers and dangerous wildlife. "

He congratulated them for their good work and thanking for "the love you have for your country and nature."

The original version in Afrikaans below:

Teenstropery: Etosha kry patrolliekamp
Yahoo Japan, GEF en UNDP skenk N$5 miljoen

"Sekuriteit is by ander gebiede en nasionale parke as brandpunte opgeskerp wat nog nie deur stropery geraak is nie, maar ek gaan nie vir julle stropers vertel waar nie; ons wag vir julle of die renosters sal self met julle afreken."

Dit was die waarskuwing van die minister van die omgewing en toerisme, mnr. Pohamba Shifeta, aan voornemende wildstropers toe hy Saterdag die Skerpioenbult-teenstroping-patrolliekamp in die Etosha Nasionale Park amptelik geopen het.

"Met die volgehoue ondersteuning van ons vennote het die Namibiese regering aansienlike hulpbronne toegewys en sekuriteitsmagte in brandpuntgebiede ontplooi. Ons het ook sekuriteit in ander gebiede opgeskerp," het die minister gesê.

Die konstruksie van die kamp ten bedrae van N$5 miljoen is moontlik gemaak met behulp van Yahoo Japan asook die Wêreldomgewingsfasiliteit (GEF) en die Verenigde Nasies se Ontwikkelingsprogram (UNDP) se Beskermde Gebiede Stelselsversterking-projek (Pass).

"Jul bydrae bou 'n sterk brug in die stryd teen stropery," het Shifeta gesê.

"Die patrolliekamp sal voorsiening maak vir die ontplooiing van wetstoepassers en as strategiese punt vir bevel en koördinering van teenstropingsaktiwiteite dien. Ek beklemtoon teenstropery, want dit is ons doelwit om stropery te stop. Daarom moet ons by voorbaat optree en stropery voorkom," het die minister gesê

Hy meen die Skerpioenbult-kamp is nog 'n stap in die stryd teen stropery.

Die minister het weer bevestig dat stropingsyfers gedaal het, met 27 renosters wat vanjaar gestroop is teenoor 2016 se 60, asook 20 olifante teenoor verlede jaar se 101.

Volgens Shifeta is Pass in 2014 deur die GEF en UNDP teen sowat N$50 miljoen (US$4 miljoen) geïmplementeer en sal in Maart 2018 eindig.

Hy sê 70% van die projekbegroting is op wetstoepassing en teenstroping bestee. Dit sluit die volgende in: Die voorsiening van water (boorgate, watertenke en -waens); kamptoerusting (tente, slaapsakke en potte); sanitasie (toilette van alle teenstroping-patrolliekampe), kommunikasietoerusting (radionetwerke en satellietfone); misdaadondersoektoerusting soos metaalverklikkers; die konstruksie van die teenstroping- opleidingsentrum in die Waterberg Nasionale Park; die nasionale teenstroping-bewusmakingsveldtog en die opleiding van aanklaers en ondersoekbeamptes.

Volgens die minister is die hele projek in die nasionale parke van Etosha, Waterberg, Khaudum en Bwabwata, asook die Kunenstreek geïmplementeer.

Shifeta het ook die werk van die teenstropingpersoneel geprys: "Dit is nie 'n maklike werk nie en hulle moet baie opofferings maak. Hulle moet hul families vir lang tye agterlaat en baie dae in die veld bestee, honderde kilometers in die natuur loop en hul lewe op die spel plaas weens gewapende stropers en gevaarlike wilde diere."

Hy het hulle gelukgewens met hul goeie werk en bedank vir "die liefde wat julle vir jul land en die natuur het".

Source: https://www.republikein.com.na/nuus/teenstropery-etosha-kry-patrolliekamp-2017-11-09/

Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross