Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Liberia, Mozambique, Argentina
This article was in today’s (London) Telegraph:

HUNTING

Allowing trophy hunt imports ‘spits in face of nation of animal lovers’
By Helena Horton and Steve Bird
ELEPHANT feet, polar bear skins and a rug made from a lion are among the endangered species parts shipped into Britain as trophies in a single year, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.

A total of 86 body parts, many from creatures threatened with extinction, were imported into Britain during the financial year 2017-18. Under international rules, such trophies can be brought into the UK only if they do not affect the survival of any species.

While poaching involves illegally shooting endangered species, many countries permit professional hunts, often allowing older or weaker animals to be killed. Hunting campaigners claim their “sport” helps conservation and can provide much needed tourism to often poor areas. However, animal rights campaigners have condemned the practice. More than 150 MPs have signed an Early Day Motion (EDM) calling on Michael Gove, the Environment Secretary, to ban the importation of trophies. More than 280,000 people have signed an online petition urging Defra to ban lion trophies being shipped to the UK.

Trophy hunting imports have already been banned by France, Australia and the Netherlands. According to files held by Cites – the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species which oversees the agreement governments have signed concerning the trade and movement of wild animals – 82 of the most endangered species or creatures whose future is threatened if trade not carefully controlled were imported to the UK in 2017-18.

Chris Packham, the environmentalist and television presenter, said trophy hunting made him “ashamed to be a British conservationist”.

He said: “The fact this is happening spits in the face of the nation of animal lovers that is ever more rapidly realising that there is no longer enough wildlife to waste and that thus killing wildlife for fun is a dying business.”

Zac Goldsmith, the MP for Richmond and animal rights campaigner who tabled the EDM, told The Sunday Telegraph: “Trophy hunting involves killing some of the most beautiful wild animal species on earth simply for fun… It is high time we banned the import of the so-called trophies to the UK.”

A spokesman for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said under Cites rules such trophies can only be brought into the UK under strict rules.

Makes me want to weep . . .

Thank you for sharing

How much money are these signatories contributing to the health and welfare of the citizens of Africa? Squat.

And when you have 'investigative journalism' such as the link below you can understand why the British have been brainwashed against hunting.
Especially when in the first ten minutes the hunting outfitter is equating the thrill of hunting to an orgasm and a hunter that can't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Brainwashing Stacey, 2. Living with Big Game Hunters: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04gjlhz via @bbciplayer

I actually sat here and watched this. To be honest, they didn't change all of her opinions. However, the hunters made her realize that the issue is much more complicated than she originally thought. If we could only get most people to realize this, then we'd be ahead. While there is no footage of her harvesting a Wildebeest, some progress was made.

The Anti's must be terrified Botswana is opening up again. Attack on another front.

A list of all MP's signing such an idiotic paper should be published. I hope they are all vegans. Otherwise, while enjoying their steak and kidney pie, I would remind them of the "fun they are having" and the animal that died to provide it. Everyone loves a law that doesn't affect them.......Whether it's Nancy Pelosi living in a walled compound, or Hillary decrying guns while hiring 21 armed security, or MP's that are carnivores not wanting an animal to die.........everyone helping to pass a law should be subject to it..................FWB

I will claim 9 0f the 86 if that helps :)

I am also ashamed Chris Packham is called a british conservationist.

He said: “The fact this is happening spits in the face of the nation of animal lovers that is ever more rapidly realising that there is no longer enough wildlife to waste and that thus killing wildlife for fun is a dying business.”

Big difference between animal lovers and animal conservationists...
Therein lies the problem.
Speaking and typing "I love lions" does not save lions from poachers snares, poison or traps.

The anti's have lost some momentum with the "same old - same 0ld" arguments of previous years. They will now try work on the spineless politicians, who are easier to manipulate, to make it harder for people to import trophies.
They saw that the ban on ele trophies reduced the hunting and that put just enough blood in the water for them to sniff and realize that is the next point of attack. It will also probably be quite effective.

Its also a shame that they see it as a waste of wildlife when in fact it is the utilization of a renewable resource in a basic form.
It is a surviving, thriving, sustainable business model with a positive impact on land use, climate and land health.

Yeah but Pete the Disney numptys live in la la land.........simple fact is the urban population hasn't a clue and they thinkthey know what is best as they have seen it on TV or been told by supposed experts who can manipulate facts and figures to represent whatever they want......simple logic and common sense passed away a long time ago with these people... ..

The Anti's must be terrified Botswana is opening up again. Attack on another front.

Oh yeah .....was talking to friend from Botswana last night and he was pretty complimentary bout the president .... So hopefully not too long

Again a COMPLELETY misinformed public. If pro hunting organization's world wide don't respond hunting, conservation and wildlife are doomed. We can longer sit back like it's 1965. The public knows little about what it takes to preserve wildlife. I try to educate everyone I come in contact with that frowns when they find out I hunt. This must be done on a global scale, and again not only for sportsman but for the wildlife so future generations can enjoy what we have enjoyed.

There needs to be a Public Service Announcement on TV and the web requesting people who are opposed to African trophy hunting, to whit:

WE NEED VOLUNTEERS! This is a fantastic opportunity for those who signed the petition to back up their words with actions. Volunteers will get free round trip air fare to an African nation where these animals are endangered. You will live with the local populations, sleep in their huts or one of our modern tent camps, eat local food and basically live as the natives. Every other day, you will be stationed in various locations, possibly on a constructed platform in a tree or in hides by a watering hole. This will prevent hunters and poachers from taking these precious animals especially during the evening hours when the poachers are most active.
Don't wait! Sign up now for this exciting conservation effort. You may even get to see a magnificent male lion up close and personal. It will definitely be a once in a lifetime experience. Call our hotline or sign up here at ID10t. Dot Com.

;)

Problem is a lot of these 280,000 won’t stop by just signing a petition. Lets say 20% will write a $10 check to PETA or HSUS to support their position. That’s $700K that goes right in to the anti hype campaign. They think they done something worthwhile for wildlife, when all they have done is pay for more propaganda and the incredible salaries of the anti machine. Not one dollar to conservation itself. Pitiful.

Again a COMPLELETY misinformed public. If pro hunting organization's world wide don't respond hunting, conservation and wildlife are doomed. We can longer sit back like it's 1965. The public knows little about what it takes to preserve wildlife. I try to educate everyone I come in contact with that frowns when they find out I hunt. This must be done on a global scale, and again not only for sportsman but for the wildlife so future generations can enjoy what we have enjoyed.

Exactly! These tree huggers are always on the move, and writing and doing whatever it takes to be noticed by those who change the laws. We as hunters do not do that! All I hear is, let's not do that because we are better that they are, let's not do that because it will cause more harm than good, etc, etc, etc. I know we have SCI, DSC, et all, fighting for us, but I never see where we as hunters are signing petitions to allow the importation of XYZ animals into our country. Maybe it's happening, and I don't know it, or I've been under a rock too long, I don't know. If we do not stand up as one group, and voice our opinions like all these antis are doing, our sport is doomed and our children will not be able to hunt at all. My 2 cents. My apologies for the rant!

Exactly! These tree huggers are always on the move, and writing and doing whatever it takes to be noticed by those who change the laws. We as hunters do not do that! All I hear is, let's not do that because we are better that they are, let's not do that because it will cause more harm than good, etc, etc, etc. I know we have SCI, DSC, et all, fighting for us, but I never see where we as hunters are signing petitions to allow the importation of XYZ animals into our country. Maybe it's happening, and I don't know it, or I've been under a rock too long, I don't know. If we do not stand up as one group, and voice our opinions like all these antis are doing, our sport is doomed and our children will not be able to hunt at all. My 2 cents. My apologies for the rant!
Here here my friend!

drain the media swamp! Wouldn't it be lovely if by law they were forced to present the other side of the argument?

I think the same as Johnnyblues.

Sci London wrote to her in response and she refused to comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maximo5631

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,