Anthrax action plan in motion

NamStay

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
A major clean-up operation is under way in the floodplains of Bwabwata West following the death of 110 hippos and 20 buffalo there of anthrax.

Parts of the park will likely be closed temporarily for the duration of the clean-up.

The clean-up operation began last week as part of an action plan adopted at a meeting of officials from the ministry of environment and tourism, the directorate of veterinary services in the agriculture ministry, health officials and Kavango East regional officials.

Mukwe constituency representatives as well as officials from the fisheries ministry attended too.

The action plan includes a vaccination campaign against anthrax for cattle near the park and restrictions on livestock movements in the Mukwe constituency.

Health officials will provide preventive treatment to people who were exposed to the carcasses and who are at risk of contagion.

Officials are warning the public to avoid any contact with any animals that have died of unknown causes and to report such incidents immediately.

The mass deaths of hippos and buffaloes were confirmed on 7 October when an aerial assessment was done over the park.

Park officials told Namibian Sun last week that the deaths were confined to the “core areas” of the national park.

While anthrax had previously spread to Namibia from countries such as Botswana, no recent outbreaks had been reported in neighbouring countries.

At the end of last month 10 hippo carcasses were found and 53 more last week. By Saturday last week, the total had risen to more than 100.

The carcasses are burned to prevent the disease from spreading.

Anthrax is primarily a disease of herbivores although it affects a wide range of species. It is generally of an acute form in wildlife, with animals showing few symptoms before collapsing and dying.

Source: https://www.namibiansun.com/news/anthrax-action-plan-in-motion/

I sure hope these efforts pay off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuigrande

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross