Another new member, This time from Arkansas

Wayne Johnson

AH member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I just plan on hanging out here from time to time. A few months ago an Orthopedic Doctor told me that I had a slap tear at my right shoulder and that at 65 I was too old to be be operated on. So I will not shoot the Ruger 458 Win mag or 458 Lott both NIB ,also Sako NIB barreled auction 458 Win Mag , or the other Sako 458 Win Mag that has a McMillan stock with two mercury recoil reducers added. The previous owner shot it about 30 times and said that the recoil is about like a 12 Ga pump shotgun. Oh the things that I should have enjoyed when I was younger; but I worked all of the time. Not worth it! Wayne

Welcome to AH Wayne! Glad to have you join the conversation.

Welcome to AH.
Sucks they can't fix you up.

Welcome aboard Wayne. Have you tried switching shoulders? Changing your "strong hand" for your "weak hand" takes a little practice but it would be better than giving up the calibers you love to shoot. What did your surgeon say about using a 404 Jeffery? A lot less recoil and still plenty of "gun" for most purposes. BTW what did you use those 458(s) on?

Welcome to AH, Wayne!

Wayne, welcome to AH! So sorry to hear about your shoulder! I can relate having completely severed all four tendons in my right rotator. I was 50 and they had to be reattached a bit shorter than original. It took a couple of years to get to where I could use it well. Works pretty well these days for an almost 72 year old. But I work out 3 days a week to stay in shape to hunt, fish, and raise a granddaughter.

Best of luck and never give up!

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome!
Looks like it is time to switch shoulders. Or get some muzzle brakes... and a crossbow.

Welcome to AH Wayne, actually you don´t really need a large caliber to hunt most plains game in Africa. My shoulder also bothers me, so I have used calibers such as .22-250, .223, .243, and .25-06 which don´t kick that much.
In the end, it´s all about shot placement.

Giday and welcome to the A H forums Wayne.

From one Wayne to another: Welcome to AH. I agree, there are a lot of things I should have done when I was younger.
Sorry about your shoulder. Both of my wife’s are messed up (one repaired rotator cuff and the other crushed in a bicycle accident) and she can’t handle a .410 shotgun without pain.

Welcome to AH sir! Where in Arkansas are you? I deer hunt down in the Monticello area!

Welcome to our forum Wayne. I am in Bryant, about 20 miles southwest of Little Rock.

Welcome to AH, don't give up on that dream to hunt Africa, I went on my first safari in 2012, 6 months after having my right shoulder repaired the first time, went out and bought a .375 H&H for the occasion. Just had an MRI on the same shoulder and they tell me I need another surgery and I just bought a 416 Rigby after having shot my buffalo with a loner in 2017. I will delay the second surgery until I return from using the 416 next year on another Buff hunt. Just never say never, it's amazing what they can do with surgery and Physio these days.

Welcome aboard, sorry to hear about the shoulder problems

Welcome to the family and the forum Wayne!
Enjoy the forum, it's very addicting.

Welcome to AH Wayne! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross