Another New Member from Australia

AUHunter

Reaction score
Hi AH, I have been hunting in Australia all my life. I have hunted everything but haven't had a chance yet to hunt up North (Water Buff and Scrub Bulls). I live in Victoria and spend most of my hunting time chasing Sambar Deer. I have owned a .500NE double rifle for about 8 years now and I think its time I took it out. This is why I have joined this forum as I will need guidance and advice for when I travel to Africa.

Thanks.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome yo AH sir!

You'll get all kinds of information here and be on your way soon enough.

Welcome to AH.

Welcome to the forum @AUHunter . Tell us more about your 500NE. I carry a 500NE for back up as well. In love with my double rifle. Wife's not too happy that we are that close.:D

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

I have a Merkel 140AE. Nice engraving of a Cape Buffalo and Elephant. I have shot it a couple times and it has a nice recoil. It doesn't kick upwards, it's a solid push back. I must admit I need more time shooting it before I do come to Africa to tackle anything dangerous. In all honesty I think my first adventure to Africa will be a plains game hunt. I am unsure of what to expect so I don't want to get myself too overwhelmed.
If I can find some photos of the .500NE I will post them.. It is WAY too much gun for Australia.

I have a Merkel 140AE. Nice engraving of a Cape Buffalo and Elephant. I have shot it a couple times and it has a nice recoil. It doesn't kick upwards, it's a solid push back. I must admit I need more time shooting it before I do come to Africa to tackle anything dangerous. In all honesty I think my first adventure to Africa will be a plains game hunt. I am unsure of what to expect so I don't want to get myself too overwhelmed.
If I can find some photos of the .500NE I will post them.. It is WAY too much gun for Australia.

Very nice. You have the same rifle as the one I have. I have to admit, there are many high end rifles that I have handled from Heym's to Verney Carron, but I have yet to pick up a double rifle that I would swap for my Merkel. It fits me perfectly, and just feels right at home in my hands. The funniest thing about it is that I bought it without seeing it. The only thing that I had to do to it, was change the front bead, as the rifle was shooting low with my hand loads. It now regulates to shoot 570gr Woodleigh softs and 570gr Peregrine Solids to pretty much the same place.

Welcome to AH @AUHunter! Glad you found us and joined our community.

Welcome, you certainly have the right gear for a DG hunt. Good luck on your pursuits.

Good day sir. Welcome to the forum. I carry a .500NE Blaser. You have come to the right place to find answers to all your questions.

Welcome to AH AUHunter! Nice to have you as part of our community, really looking forward to your input.

Welcome to AH AUHunter! Hope you'll share some stories from the corner of your world as well!

Welcome to the best hunting site on the net. You will find all of the guys here are the sort of fellas that you've been hunting with for years. Lots of hunting experience, firearms experts knowledgeable reloaders and the like. You will spend many happy hours browsing through the new as well as the old posts. A lot of your countrymen are members, in time hopefully you guys can arrange an AH get together.

Welcome to AH!

welcome to the forum.

you have fine taste in firearms! as many here will tell you I'm quite partial to large bore guns. I'm especially fond of guns in 500 caliber which I consider to be just the right mix of power and recoil without being overly heavy.

-matt

Welcome to AH !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross