Another CZ550 .375 owner!

I used to shoot targets at 300 yards on a regular basis using a 375 H&H loaded with Hornady 300gr spire point boat tail bullets (they don't make these any more).

-matt
I use Sierra Game Kings, with a 24" barrel, with the CZ at a touch over 25" groups at a distance could be interesting

Great gun. I took a slightly different approach and got 2 sets of Warnes QD; put a 2 3/4 in one pair and 3 x 9 in the other. Just in case.
Happy shooting.

I use Sierra Game Kings, with a 24" barrel, with the CZ at a touch over 25" groups at a distance could be interesting

my stock CZ in 375 H&H would hold a pretty easy 5-6 inch group at 300 yards which is good enough for hunting most PG.

-matt

I am always amazed at how everyone shoots out to 300 yards , I find it difficult even with a 14 scope

perhaps it is because i normally hunt at closer ranges in the North of South Africa where the bush is thicker and shorter shots are required.

As many have said, the 1.25-4 may not ring out the full potential on longer shots, so I ordered a second set of the Warne QD rings and I'm considering which of my other scopes to mount. I have used quite a few Vortex brand on other hunting rifles and consider Vortex a great bang for the buck.
My thought is depending on what's on the "menu" that morning I can swap out the scopes. For now the 1.25-4 should be fine for a Russian boar hunt.

I am always amazed at how everyone shoots out to 300 yards , I find it difficult even with a 14 scope

perhaps it is because i normally hunt at closer ranges in the North of South Africa where the bush is thicker and shorter shots are required.
With practice, shot placement out to 300 yards with 4x is surprisingly easy. Think about it: 4x @ 300 is the equivalent of 1x at 75 yards. Placing the crosshairs of a 1x scope on a big game animal's shoulder at 75 yards is not difficult. As a bonus, the scope with a max magnification of 4x typically gives you 1x-1.5x on the low end, which generally means a large field of view.

With practice, shot placement out to 300 yards with 4x is surprisingly easy. Think about it: 4x @ 300 is the equivalent of 1x at 75 yards. Placing the crosshairs of a 1x scope on a big game animal's shoulder at 75 yards is not difficult. As a bonus, the scope with a max magnification of 4x typically gives you 1x-1.5x on the low end, which generally means a large field of view.

First I do NOT consider myself to be a long range shooter, but I totally agree with this. I actually find it easier to make these shots with a lower setting than higher. For me it is a mental thing - the higher the magnification, the more the crosshairs wiggle, the more likely I am to jerk the trigger. Again, just me.

In my last trip to the EC I took three shots that were 210-260 yards (per rangefinder) and never had the scope above 5x as I recall. I know my Oribi at 212 yards was at 3x. I've never had to quickly get on an animal and wished the scope was set higher, but I've sure wished it was set lower!!! For that reason now I always try and leave the scope on whatever the lowest magnification is.

I am alwaysis amazed at how everyone shoots out to 300 yards , I find it difficult even with a 14 scope

Wow, I have scopes that go to 12, 15, and even 18... but tthose settings are for looking where the bullet hit at the range, or to use it like a spotting scope to try and look at something in more detail. Might be useful for shooting small critters offf a bench, like groundhogs in the Western US.

However I have to agree with Shuter and Royal, a 14x setting is not at all practical for hunting and shooting typical game animals at 300 yards. And Shuter is right on the money when it comes to larger animals, like say a Sable for example. With most scopes other than the very high end, you run into problems getting the eye relief correct to even find the critter in the scope! And then if you need a follow up shot it goes from problematic to near impossible to re-aquire.

From my own experience, getting older and now needing glasses, good quality optics are more important and then being sure I have them focused correctly for me, and it is a lot different with or without glasses on! And on top of it, with these damned bifocals, I can now see two crasshairs without being drunk! (Not that I drink and shoot). Turning a scope up high just exasperates this all.

@bassasdaindia I would politely suggest you should try to spend some time at the range and experiment with different setting. Try from a bench with a ddecent rest but be aware using a lead slead changes your LOP and where your cheek rests on the stock, so also shoot from sticks.

I don't practice enough at 300 yards... And am always trying to improve as well. I've made some long shots but figurecthey were a lot more luck than skill. And I agree most shooting in Afica is a lot closer, but the wisest advice I've heard before going was, you will do most of your shooting between about 80 to 150 yards, for sure be prepared for out to 200, and if you can make a shot at 300 it will give you a distinct advantage in some cases...

@ActionBob is being humble. I've seen him shoot and he's a fantastic shot.

From my own experience, getting older and now needing glasses, good quality optics are more important and then being sure I have them focused correctly for me, and it is a lot different with or without glasses on! And on top of it, with these damned bifocals, I can now see two crasshairs without being drunk! (Not that I drink and shoot). Turning a scope up high just exasperates this all.
Bob, couldn't agree more on the need to focus the RETICLE of the scope! Using the eyepiece for focus is not to focus the target (in most cases, that's pre-set at the factory), but rather to sharply focus the reticle for each shooter. And you're right...with and without glasses is a different setting. I'm also stuck with "progressive" lenses, which makes worse! Hell to get old...

By the way didn't mean to hijack this thread! My apologies to the OP!

Great gun. I took a slightly different approach and got 2 sets of Warnes QD; put a 2 3/4 in one pair and 3 x 9 in the other. Just in case.
Happy shooting.
Did the same thing when I was going for the 2 bullet same Rifle idea

Attachments

• DSC00287.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 159
Welcome to the CZ550 club!

A great caliber and a tough rifle that will not let you down.

I agree with the comments RE scopes - I use a VX3 2.5 - 8 and it works a charm out to 300.

Enjoy...

Ado

I practice Distance shooting with only the calibers that are designed for distance 30cal or less, those rifles have large magnification the rest of my hunting rifles are in the 100 to 200 range depending on what I intend to use them for and they sport anything from 1x5 to 3x9s I too need my rifles scoped because of old Eyes and I too need Bi-focals but never see 2 crosshairs
I took my Kudu at about 200yds with my scope set a it's lowest magnification 2.5 so I could get a larger field of view I only had maybe a second more or less to identify and put the cross hairs where they needed to be for a clean shot

Have you guys ever heard of the 26yd sight in, supposedly you sight your rifle to hit a exact dead center bull at 26 yds, so at a 100yds you would be 2.81" Hi and at 200yds you would be and about the same Low, the idea that at both distances you would still be in the 6" kill zone

@Rob44 yes we use that method saves you plenty of ammo when sighting in a rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg