Another cz 550 magnum rigby bolt face

CO_mtnman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Well I did it again and found another decent deal on a cz 550 action with the rigby bolt face so I went ahead and bought it even though my 460 weatherby build isn't quite finished yet but I couldn't pass this deal up. They also had the same action but for belted magnum with the 375 h&h length and bolt face if anybody is interested. I went to gunbroker and gave a search for 416 rigby in bolt action rifles and they where at the bottom

So far the way I am leaning is to get a richards micro fit stock and finish and checker it myself, I've never done it before but I have 2 scrap hawken muzzleloader stocks to practice on. I am hung up on if I want to go to a 416 rigby or go 500 a square. Currently I have a sako 375 h&h as well as a 460 weatherby built on a cz 550

So I just got an email back from boyds saying they don't have a stock that will fit a cz 550 with the rigby action so it's starting to look like either a richards micro fit or I found a bunch of cz stocks from old arms of idaho website which may be the easier route, if I get a original stock then I'll remove the finish and I'll just redo the finish myself to give it a personal touch without going through the sanding process of a micro fit

So I just got an email back from boyds saying they don't have a stock that will fit a cz 550 with the rigby action so it's starting to look like either a richards micro fit or I found a bunch of cz stocks from old arms of idaho website which may be the easier route, if I get a original stock then I'll remove the finish and I'll just redo the finish myself to give it a personal touch without going through the sanding process of a micro fit
I just looked through their offerings. It looks like you can pick up a nice piece of lumber pretty cheap.

Yea I was quite surprised I found so many in 1 place, the good ol Google machine wins again lol

If you bought two stocks, and went back to buy that 375 action. You would be all set to build a 404 Jeffrey;)

Lol yea I am starting to regret buying the rigby instead of the 375 action a little bit

Sell the 460....build a 404Jeff.....

Where did you find the stocks at.
Krish

Looks like all the stocks are old style single cross bolt. All the Magnum Safari ones are hogback European style with snabel forend, even the ones marked "American".

But $247 is cheap insurance if you split a stock and want a spare.

I think the single cross bolt older model may have a different recoil lug location than the newer double crossbolt ones.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 12.34.08 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 12.34.08 PM Large.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 12.34.09 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 12.34.09 PM Large.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 12.34.11 PM Large.jpeg
    Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 12.34.11 PM Large.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 41

Looks like all the stocks are old style single cross bolt. All the Magnum Safari ones are hogback European style with snabel forend, even the ones marked "American".

But $247 is cheap insurance if you split a stock and want a spare.

I think the single cross bolt older model may have a different recoil lug location than the newer double crossbolt ones.
I looked at them. Like you said they are all Hog backs. Dont know the condition. I may get a couple. Did you get the action from Elk Country on gun broker. I did too. Just got a GMA MAGNUM ACTION AND 458 BARREL. Will be building a 450 Rigby.. that timber will probably cost me fortune.
Krish

Yes I bought it from elk country on gb

Last edited:
Wow, those stocks are up in price, no?? Glad i have 4 of them sitting in my gun room already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross