AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe, Canada USA
Every year about this time we head to South Texas to hunt hogs. There's something very nice about leaving a long Wisconsin winter and going somewhere warm and friendly and being able to shoot a bunch of meat. We have been to several outfitters in the past, but have been hunting with Jody Starr Outfitters for over 10 years now. It's a very relaxing, no stress hunt with great friends. This year my Dad, daughter Nikita, friend Jim, and for the first time my Mother joined us. We were able to put 6 hogs in the freezer, and realistically could have had a few more. We also saw tons of deer and turkeys, coyotes, and bobcats. Strangely enough, no rattlesnakes this year. Although not everyone connected, everyone did have at least a couple opportunities. My mother, who just started hunting a couple years ago was the only one that didn't get a hog, but she has always been more than happy to sit in the woods an take pictures. She took alot and had a blast. Here is a pic of Nikita with a nice boar she shot with her Savage .7mm-08.

IMG_20160313_220334220.jpg

Just something about hunting pigs isn't there?

Glad you had a great time with the family.

Congrats on the successful Bacon quest.

Good hunt sir! Shoot the pigs whenever you see them!

No better fun than having a blast with hogs, bushpig and warthogs.

Looks like that boar tore up her jeans!!!

wipartimer: By the condition of your daughter's blue jeans, it looks like she had a heck of a fight with that boar!:whistle:

(I can hear my daughter's saying, Dad, that's not funny)

I looked at their sight.
I have a honest question. How many hogs do the average hunter get at their place during their 2 day package?
I ask because I can hunt hogs in Calif for about $500/hog and it is a long drive to Texas. However I plan to go and shoot a blackbuck and possibly a Muflon sheep in a year or so. After I recover from my Africa trip in 2017.

In all honesty, it's a hunt,although not a demanding one. You hunt late afternoon till too dark to see ( unless you bring NV) and early mornings. The best I've ever gotten were Three hogs in one sitting. But I've also sat several times without seeing any. It's not like the TV shows( don't get me started on TV " hunting" shows) that would lead a person to believe the world is ending and hogs are taking over. This year seems like it was above average for multiple shot opportunities per stand. The first night, Mom And Nikita sat together and had 3 chances between them. Dad killed 2 in one night, Jim had 2 chances one night, and Nikita and i sitting together had 2 chances one time; but often as not if you shoot one out of the group, the rest don't come back right away.
It seems like it actually rained a bit in Texas this year which is good for everything else, but usually makes the hunting tougher as there is plenty for wildlife to eat. In fact, half of our opportunities were not even at the feeders.
Sorry, it looks like I'm dancing around your question, in two days hunting I would hope for three opportunities, unless of course you have Jody set you up on a helicopter hunt, but that's a whole other story.

@gizmo has a hunting operation.... Hogs, deer, exotics, etc. Hell shoot ya straight on what is legit vs. bull$hit.

Congrats, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the info. You did answer my question.

Hog hunting is a great way to get youngsters (read the next generation of hunters) into the sport. After a few trips to the range to get comfortable with shooting a rifle and being able to hit what they aimed at youngsters are ready to hunt. Hunting out of a 2 man blind allows parents, grandparents and youngsters the opportunity to spend "quality time" with each other. Based on my personal experience you are more likely to get multiple opportunities to take a hog on a single hunt then with any other large North American game. After several unsuccessful deer hunts I thought one of my grandsons was getting a little discouraged about the whole hunting thing. But after a successful hog hunt he began relating the "tale of his perfect shot" to all of the hunters in camp. After that I felt like he was "hooked" and will be looking forward to spending more time with us in the woods. Since hogs are considered a varmint (in Texas) they can be hunted year around. Out of state license fees are very reasonable. A number of ranches offer 2 for 1 packages thereby reducing the cost per hunter. I took the hog shown in my avatar during one such hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!