Animals That Surprised You

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by chiefdale, Oct 1, 2016.

1. chiefdale

chiefdale AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Planning my first safari. I am wondering what animals really took you by surprise when you saw them. Did any animals then become a must have. It's easy to see pictures and be blown away. But I am sure real life will change everything. What animals surprised you that you thought you may not want to take, but did?

2. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Nyala surprised me in terms of their stealth and beauty!

3. lcq

lcq AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA CSSA
    Hunted:
    Canada, RSA
    Mountain reedbuck. I was warned how tough it was going to be but like an idiot I didn't listen

4. billc

billc AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    united state- Co Nm Mt Wy Pa , canada ,mexico ,south africa- Northwest, Limpopo, freestste.Northern cape,East cape, namibia
    I wanted all the general animals you think of when going to SA. The red hartebeest was never one I thought I wanted then seeing them out in the sun red coat shining may me look at them in a whole other light.
    Then also the steenbok and duiker which I took the last trip. Just thought they were to small to want but know I look for them when hunting.

5. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    Bushbuck and Red Hartebeest. The first for its smarts and the latter for its speed.

6. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    Kudu. I actually forgot to pull the trigger I was so blown away by it.:whistle: Very graceful and regal.

lcq likes this.

7. cpr0312

cpr0312 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe
    Red hartebeest for sure, already knew I wanted gemsbok, but their beauty still surprised me as welll

8. wipartimer

wipartimer AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa
    Waterbuck. I had absolutely no interest in one until I arrived at the lodge on my first safari. Something about the shear size of that magnificent shoulder mount seeming to look down at me made me have to hunt one. I knew Kudu was way out of my budget, an honestly I didn't want one simply because everyone else wants Kudu; but for some reason that waterbuck struck me.

9. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Elephant; How the hell does something that big hide in plain sight.

Kudu materializing out of nowhere when I was actually staring at the opening in the bush.

Vaalies. Zero interest until I learned where they lived in the mountains and just how similar they were to mountain sheep to hunt.

lcq and BWH like this.

10. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    Sable. Saw lots on my first safari, and had never even heard of them. Magnificent animal.

Ostrich. Never thought I'd want to shoot one until they keep busting all my stalks. Then decided to take it upon myself to rid the world of this curse. So far (three or four ostriches later), not much luck.

lcq and Bsto270 like this.

11. Aaron Nietfeld

Aaron Nietfeld AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, South Africa
    Blue Wildebeest. The only interest I had in one was just because they screamed Africa. But once I got close to mine, they have a beautiful coat. I'm not convinced on the "poor mans buffalo" moniker though.

12. hunting4sanity

hunting4sanity AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
    Probably my number one animal going over was a kudu, seeing them only intensified that desire, seeing an even better kudu on the last day makes me want another one. I was leaning towards a zebra going over, that changed to a must-have once we were out hunting, back at home it's probably my favorite mount. We encountered cape buffalo and waterbucks several times while hunting, they weren't on the radar for the first safari, but when I go back I really want to hunt both.

13. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT
    Duiker, never wanted one, had zero interest in the tiny 10, after shooting a common duiker, I've got to have the other 9. I believe the way that my PH had them displayed really peaked my interest. They are like Coues Deer, hunt them once and you are addicted!
    Cheers,
    Cody

14. Poz

Poz AH Member

I had a list of 6, Kudu, Gemsbok, Blue Wildebeest, Zebra, Warthog and impala going over, as I knew I wanted them, I also had Eland in the back of my head as an animal I really wanted to hunt if a good bull presented, red hartebeest was an animal I had no interest in, they seemed funny looking and not interesting to me at all. The lechwe was another I had seen but virtually discounted. Well the lechwe was probably 1 of the first African animals I saw and I was hooked, I also took a Red Hartebeest cow and the more I looked at that skull the more infatuated I became with them. Of everything I hunted there is not 1 animal that I could have taken off my hunt list even down to 2 Warthogs everything came into the wonderful dream I can relive daily in my mind that others call a trip to Africa. I am hooked on this amazing place and wonderful people. I hope you have the trip of a lifetime, as I did.

15. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    I have to say springbok did it for me. I'd seen a million pics of them but it wasn't until we started hunting them that I really fell in love with them. They are so graceful and just an absolute hoot to hunt. It was, at least for us, a distance game which I really enjoyed. Reminded me of hunting pronghorn.

buddy48, Bsto270 and BWH like this.

16. AZDAVE

AZDAVE AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
    Cape Buffalo the first time a young bull looked at me from 30 yards and Watching a cape Eland move and jump with a grace that is hard to believe in an animal that large.

17. BSO Dave

BSO Dave AH Veteran

Member of:
    QDMA, NWTF, NRA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, North America, New Zealand, South America, Europe
    I think just about every animal that I wasn't initially impressed with, became very impressive on the hoof standing no more than 30 yards away from my bow blind. I think bow hunter's have this advantage over rifle hunters in that we have the luxury of viewing the game for longer periods at much closer range. You can really study the intricacies and beauty of each species and gain that appreciation from such a close encounter.

I think the point here that everyone has demonstrated is to be prepared to be impressed with animals that you originally had no interest in taking. The best think about Africa is the abundance of opportunity. You need to plan on taking a trophy or two more than you are anticipating, as well as taking advantage of the opportunities that present themselves to you.

gizmo, firehuntfish and Poz like this.

18. Poz

Poz AH Member

Yep, went planning on 6 or 7 ended up taking 10 animals and started making plans for a return trip!

gizmo and firehuntfish like this.

19. Therack

Therack AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA PF DU NWTF
    Bushbuck is a beautiful animal and I found it harder to hunt than other plains game as they live in the thick stuff and don't travel in herds.

20. tay50

tay50 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Ducks Unlimited, SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA, Michigan, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, New Mexico, Ohio, RSA, Limpopo, Free State
    The one animal that surprised me the most, was the Red Hartebeest never had an interest in one, they have the face only a mother could love, boy was I wrong. I took a beautiful Red in June and fell in love with it when I finally laid hands on it, hard to stalk and hard to put down. I will be hunting one again next May in the EC, and any other time I'm hunting Africa.

gizmo likes this.