Animal Size Compared To Adult Man For Life Size Targets

dearhunter

Reaction score
Member of
Croatian Hunting Federation
Hunted
Croatia, Slovenia
I am preparing for a hunting trip to Africa. Joined this forum yesterday and I already have some questions :)

I will begin practicing shooting from a stick in upcoming months.
Shot placement pictures on the forum provided me with excellent info, so I was thinking about printing few of them in real life size or reduced (50%, 25%) as proposed in 2 other threads. I will print them on large format printer.

But to do it right I would need some help in comparing animal size to adult man (approx. 6 feet / 180cm in height). I am attaching modified pictures that show scale to adult man (from data that I found on the internet).
Does it look right or I need to scale animals up/down?

If using this pictures is against the rules, I will delete them.

Any help appreciated!

oryx.jpg
kudu.jpg
warthog.jpg
hartebeest.jpg

do a google search: "d furstenburg 2008 wildlife"
It will provide some images for comparison

largepreview.png
largepreview-2.png
largepreview-3.png

do a google search: "d furstenburg 2008 wildlife"
It will provide some images for comparison

View attachment 220292 View attachment 220293 View attachment 220295

Thank you for attachments brickburn
I compared Furstenberg's black and white pictures with my pictures
Seems close enough

I am just not used to hunting animals that big :)
We have only one species similar in size - red deer, but unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to see one yet

Africa here I come!

Nice work on those photo edits. Gives you good perspective on how big these animals really are

I just finished creating printable PDF files of four animals pictured in the first post.
Each animal has three PDF files. One at full size (natural size), half size and quarter size (uploaded in four .zip archives).
Feel free to use them. If anyone needs other animals, do not hesitate to ask.

If you print each file and place them at for example 50 yards/meters you get:
1. natural size target - as shooting at 50 yards/meters
2. half size target - as shooting at 100 yards/meters
3. quarter size - as shooting at 200 yards/meters

You need to take bullet drop into account when shooting at real distances, but for practice and some fun, it should be enough to print smaller targets.

I print them in print shop that prints billboards (cheap blueback paper + cheap solvent ink).

I cropped the images a bit and moved forum logo, so it is visible, to use less paper and reduce target size for easier transport. Also, I added outlines of neck spine, heart and lungs.
I hope that is OK. If not I will remove this files and upload untouched images.

Screenshot/preview of one PDF:
gemsbok-example.jpg

Attachments

• warthog.zip
    397.4 KB · Views: 482
  • kudu.zip
    475.4 KB · Views: 537
  • hartebeest.zip
    521.9 KB · Views: 482
  • gemsbok oryx.zip
    254.8 KB · Views: 431
Very interesting! Let us know how things turn out at the range.

I just finished creating printable PDF files of four animals pictured in the first post.
Each animal has three PDF files. One at full size (natural size), half size and quarter size (uploaded in four .zip archives).
Feel free to use them. If anyone needs other animals, do not hesitate to ask.

If you print each file and place them at for example 50 yards/meters you get:
1. natural size target - as shooting at 50 yards/meters
2. half size target - as shooting at 100 yards/meters
3. quarter size - as shooting at 200 yards/meters

You need to take bullet drop into account when shooting at real distances, but for practice and some fun, it should be enough to print smaller targets.

I print them in print shop that prints billboards (cheap blueback paper + cheap solvent ink).

I cropped the images a bit and moved forum logo, so it is visible, to use less paper and reduce target size for easier transport. Also, I added outlines of neck spine, heart and lungs.
I hope that is OK. If not I will remove this files and upload untouched images.

Screenshot/preview of one PDF:
View attachment 220543
Very cool! Can you do a mock up of a buffalo? I've been thinking of making one up of plywood.

Very cool! Can you do a mock up of a buffalo? I've been thinking of making one up of plywood.
Hi Rick,
Here you go. Please check animal size compared to an adult man (approx. 6 feet / 180cm in height).
If it seems ok, download attached PDF files (natural size, half size, quarter size).
If you think that size is off, please let me know so I can upload new PDFs.

buffalo-size.jpg

Attachments

• buffalo quarter size.pdf
    154 KB · Views: 372
  • buffalo half size.pdf
    154 KB · Views: 390
  • buffalo natural size.pdf
    157.5 KB · Views: 438
For a project with my kids I used the small cardboard shilouette targets from midway usa. The pig, chicken, turkey and ram. Stood them up on the basement floor in the dark with poster board on the wall. Using a flashlight and the shadow it cast moving it further away to create life size targets. It was a fun project with the kids adding color and detail. I'm no artist but they can out pretty good I thought.

Hi Rick,
Here you go. Please check animal size compared to an adult man (approx. 6 feet / 180cm in height).
If it seems ok, download attached PDF files (natural size, half size, quarter size).
If you think that size is off, please let me know so I can upload new PDFs.

View attachment 221034
Thanks! I'll get some prints made. This otta be fun.

Thanks! I'll get some prints made. This otta be fun.
I made one more set for buffalo. Buffalo front view.
Maybe you want to try that one as well.

Attachments

• buffalo front quarter size.pdf
    256.8 KB · Views: 353
  • buffalo front half size.pdf
    256.8 KB · Views: 459
  • buffalo front natural size.pdf
    256.8 KB · Views: 435
Rick, 3 or 4 years ago Safari Press sold life size cape buffalo targets. The target consisted of either 6 or 8 panels held in place on a frame of some type that you had to supply or build. I have never actually seen one, but they were for sale on line at that time. Good luck in your search!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherrillGl

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg