Animal Rights Group Says Meat Tax is Overdue

Hoas

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
(Des Moines) -- Animal rights advocates say the time is right for Americans who choose a meat-based diet to pay taxes on both the production and consumption of meat-based products.

Ashley Byrne, associate director of campaigns with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said while there are no current legislative proposals, she believes "behavioral" or excise taxes on beef, pork and chicken could encourage people to modify their eating habits.

She said if we accept that it's OK to tax tobacco, alcohol and, in some cities, soda because of their negative health impacts, meat belongs in the same category.

"PETA has been calling for a 'sin tax' or an excise tax on meat for a very long time," Byrne said. "But recently the idea really seems to have picked up steam with the public."

In a state such as Iowa, which raises more than 21 million hogs and pigs each year - more than any other state in the nation - a meat tax may be a non-starter. But health experts agree that certain red meats high in saturated fat can raise blood cholesterol, increasing the risk of heart disease. And that contributes to America's skyrocketing annual health care costs.

While some health experts endorse meat in various amounts, almost none endorse the quantity Americans eat. The average U.S. citizen consumes more than 200 pounds of meat each year - twice the global average and nearly twice as much as they did in 1961. Byrne said non-meat eaters should not subsidize those choices.

"It doesn't make sense for the millions of Americans who are vegetarians and vegans to pick up the tab through higher taxes and health insurance premiums when meat-eaters get sick from these diseases that are caused by a meat-based diet," she argued.

In 2015, the World Health Organization announced a definitive connection between cancer and processed meat, such as bacon and hot dogs, but stopped short of saying red meat also causes cancer.

Source: http://www.kmaland.com/news/animal-...cle_068e7b94-132c-11e8-a2e7-47e01f61b065.html

Thanks for posting. The silliness of these people never ceases to amaze, nor does the gullibility of the public.

Study after study has shown that non-animal based agriculture is not the great for the planet. The use and over use of herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers has and continues to cause environmental issues, the amount of water used by this type of agriculture may well be unsustainable in some places, and I could go on.

The bottom line is not that this type of agriculture is wrong, only that there is no human activity which does not have both positive and negative effects, if we just look hard enough. When we see those negative effects, we work to mitigate them, because that's what responsible people do. We don't jump to a ban, or make someone pay because I want to save chickens, etc.

These are the same people who say that electric vehicles are zero emission because, of course, electricity just magically appears in a car.

By the way, I am not giving up hot dogs. And just having gotten back from a week in Germany, I can tell you that if processed meat caused cancer, there would be far fewer Germans in the world, but they all seemed pretty healthy and robust to me. Sausages are everywhere, and each and every variety I have had has been delicious. I have decided to make it my life's work (after I get the LDE!) to find and try each and every variety. I will send my tasting notes to PETA, just in case they ever wake up.

Thanks for posting. The silliness of these people never ceases to amaze, nor does the gullibility of the public.

Study after study has shown that non-animal based agriculture is not the great for the planet. The use and over use of herbicides, pesticides, fertilizers has and continues to cause environmental issues, the amount of water used by this type of agriculture may well be unsustainable in some places, and I could go on.

The bottom line is not that this type of agriculture is wrong, only that there is no human activity which does not have both positive and negative effects, if we just look hard enough. When we see those negative effects, we work to mitigate them, because that's what responsible people do. We don't jump to a ban, or make someone pay because I want to save chickens, etc.

These are the same people who say that electric vehicles are zero emission because, of course, electricity just magically appears in a car.

By the way, I am not giving up hot dogs. And just having gotten back from a week in Germany, I can tell you that if processed meat caused cancer, there would be far fewer Germans in the world, but they all seemed pretty healthy and robust to me. Sausages are everywhere, and each and every variety I have had has been delicious. I have decided to make it my life's work (after I get the LDE!) to find and try each and every variety. I will send my tasting notes to PETA, just in case they ever wake up.

:A Thumbs Up:

I can be nicer to my cows but it going to cost the consumer oh say 10dollars a pound for cheap hamburger. We will see how that flies.

Good read while enjoying my steak.

Any tax that ultimately inflates the cost of food is regressive. The tax crazy folks lose sight that they are making life so expensive for people who are on a fixed retirement income, are poor, or otherwise vulnerable, through all of these little taxes. I think it immoral the impact of these measures has on those folks. Fortunately, cat food is probably healthy....

If there was a tax on stupidity then PETA/other tree hugger people and the libtards would be broke :)

Should we tax vegetables for all the pesticides they require?

I work for an oil company, so on top of taxing them on pesticides I would like to tax them on anything and everything that my industry contributes to making. Below is a small sample
2018-02-25_21-01-17.jpg

We are having ox tail stew tonight. Should I get taxed twice, once for eating meat, and again for having a piece of tail?

Should we tax vegetables for all the pesticides they require?
Not to mention herbicides. TONS of these products pumping into the seas constantly. We are killing the planet with these products. But if we stopped can you imagine the famine?? But the survivors would have lower cancer rates...

(Des Moines) -- Animal rights advocates say the time is right for Americans who choose a meat-based diet to pay taxes on both the production and consumption of meat-based products.

Ashley Byrne, associate director of campaigns with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, said while there are no current legislative proposals, she believes "behavioral" or excise taxes on beef, pork and chicken could encourage people to modify their eating habits.

She said if we accept that it's OK to tax tobacco, alcohol and, in some cities, soda because of their negative health impacts, meat belongs in the same category.

"PETA has been calling for a 'sin tax' or an excise tax on meat for a very long time," Byrne said. "But recently the idea really seems to have picked up steam with the public."

In a state such as Iowa, which raises more than 21 million hogs and pigs each year - more than any other state in the nation - a meat tax may be a non-starter. But health experts agree that certain red meats high in saturated fat can raise blood cholesterol, increasing the risk of heart disease. And that contributes to America's skyrocketing annual health care costs.

While some health experts endorse meat in various amounts, almost none endorse the quantity Americans eat. The average U.S. citizen consumes more than 200 pounds of meat each year - twice the global average and nearly twice as much as they did in 1961. Byrne said non-meat eaters should not subsidize those choices.

"It doesn't make sense for the millions of Americans who are vegetarians and vegans to pick up the tab through higher taxes and health insurance premiums when meat-eaters get sick from these diseases that are caused by a meat-based diet," she argued.

In 2015, the World Health Organization announced a definitive connection between cancer and processed meat, such as bacon and hot dogs, but stopped short of saying red meat also causes cancer.

Source: http://www.kmaland.com/news/animal-...cle_068e7b94-132c-11e8-a2e7-47e01f61b065.html

Is this really for real?? Next a breathing tax.
Ps is there a bag limit on certain folk?

Joking of course.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!