Animal Engraving On a Double Rifle

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
im looking to have an animal engraved on a double rifle but im unsure in what style id like it done. would you guys help explain the different styles of animal engraving?

thank you
-Matt

your closer then you think... Warthog!

the Warthog is easily my favorite African animal and i could think of no other critter id want more to adorn a fine double rifle. the trick now is to figure out what style of engraving id like the pig to be done in. Heym's first suggestion was "Bulino" engraving which looks like a photograph. this type of engraving is impressive with its level of detail but im not exactly sure its what im looking for.

here is the example of "Bulino" engraving (just the animal):

@Matt

heymusa3lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt I'm not educated on style but I can comment that the example you have shared thus far is way too busy. The elephant itself is stunning but all the scroll work detracts I think from the real engraving. Your buff would look great done on a double by the way.

Ele for sure, the quintessential African animal you want to hunt with a double!

I agree with CAustin, the high quality animal engraving doesn't need ellaborate scroll work around it as it detracts from the "art" IMO.

Check this guy out, I haven't used him but stumbled upon his work one day, impressive. I plan to use him on a Ruger No.1 project I have, but still paying for my Cameroon Safari so it'll be a while!

http://blackhillsgunstocksandengraving.com/index.html

Ele for sure, the quintessential African animal you want to hunt with a double!

I agree with CAustin, the high quality animal engraving doesn't need ellaborate scroll work around it as it detracts from the "art" IMO.

Check this guy out, I haven't used him but stumbled upon his work one day, impressive. I plan to use him on a Ruger No.1 project I have, but still paying for my Cameroon Safari so it'll be a while!

http://blackhillsgunstocksandengraving.com/index.html

He's this guy you linked in Dakota dies some cool work!

There are a couple of engraving forums around and google will bring up the various 'styles' traditionally used. It's all in the eye of the beholder, but I have seen some incredibly 'kitsch' stuff coming out on high priced rifles lately. You also have to find a good engraver and that costs money. Not every engraver can reproduce what you may want.

Matt I'm not educated on style but I can comment that the example you have shared thus far is way too busy. The elephant itself is stunning but all the scroll work detracts I think from the real engraving. Your buff would look great done on a double by the way.

agreed, but i just used that example from the Heym website. its not what im considering myself.

@matt85 , let's take 10 steps backwards

Have you bought a Heym Double?

i havent bought anything yet, im currently setting aside money and selling some rifles.

as far as what kind of animal will be on the gun, thats already pretty much decided. im just looking at styles of engraving and trying to figure out what i like the most.

-matt

Some ideas…

The "Humping Rabbits" Double from @Shallom and I quote "that's what i have named my double. It comes from the engravings I ordered on it. The engraver for Krieghoff is actually a lady and she did a fine job. It took Krieghoff about 3 months to actually go ahead with my engraving request as they were very unsure about it - but i am very glad they did it. Today i own a very unique and well known gun. Different from all the big-five band-wagon. Will upload a couple of photos... Enjoy - Cheers."

Wheeler_Photos_-_Kilombero_2008_069.jpg
Wheeler_Photos_-_Kilombero_2008_071.jpg

Hi Matt, I have a personal friend that I would highly recommend checking into. Lisa has even engraved a Rigby shotgun for GHW Bush. Beautiful work. And she may be able to answer any questions you have. You can visit her website here: http://www.lisatomlinengraving.com/ Lisa is amazingly talented, and she would be wonderful to work with. She resides here in the state of Virginia. Just a suggestion. :)

agreed, but i just used that example from the Heym website. its not what im considering myself.

i havent bought anything yet, im currently setting aside money and selling some rifles.

as far as what kind of animal will be on the gun, thats already pretty much decided. im just looking at styles of engraving and trying to figure out what i like the most.

-matt

Good luck (y)

If you want to see stellar examples of engraving, this blog contains numerous examples (a few of which I've attached here, all Purdey rifles).

https://www.theexplora.com/

As for styles, you've basically got two, chiseled and bulino (bank note) engraving. In addition you'll see some precious metals and all (gold, in particular), but it's only iterations of. Regardless of what you choose, if the work is at all decent the cost will be horrendous and the wait one that will require the patience of Job.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg