Articles
Member of
AfricaHunting.com
Hunted
Tanzania, Nepal, Canada,
Andrew Holmberg, Professional Hunter

watermark.php

Out in Africa by Andrew Holmberg.

Andrew Holmberg was born in Kenya in 1918 his parents were Swedish. He completed his apprenticeship as a PH in 1939 and hunted extensively in East Africa.

Andrew Holmberg is one of the two oldest professional hunters alive today. He was in a sense born into the business, for his godmother was Karen Blixen, wife of the famous old time hunter Baron Bror von Blixen. Andrew had a long and successful career and excelled above many professionals for the quality of big game trophies. He took for himself, clients or friends more large bull elephants than any other man, living or dead. Sixty three pairs of tusks over 100 pounds each represents a massive mount of hard and successful hunting. You can be lucky once or twice but not sixty three times.

His own best bull was 141 pounds. His best buffalo was 58 inches. As every big game hunter knows, truly big trophies are generally found only by pioneering new country and hard work. Andrew Holmberg excelled in hunting more remote areas where others came later. He was the leading exponent of the modern foot safari where pack animals carried light loads in and Large tusks out. His evocative photographs represent something that was truly original and unique at the time. Today they have a great historic quality, representing a vanished era indeed.

His book tells of a long lifetime of successful hunting safaris. To some it may seem that his adventures are painted with a large brush. But Kenya has always been a land of drama and sudden violence. And it has attracted people who lived out their larger than life lives in a manner keeping with the country. A large brush indeed is needed to paint the picture of Andrews Holmberg's life and big game hunting. In this book you will be treated to adventure on a grand scale.

Andrew Holmberg's documented record of sixty three sets of 100 pound elephant tusks represents over twice the total number of 100 pounder. He grew up with the likes of Phil Percival, Bror Blixen and Eric Rundgren. His company, the legendary Selby & Holmberg Safaris took out Robert Ruark.

Andrew Holmberg holds the record for the greatest number of 100-pound PLUS elephants. SIXTY-THREE taken for family, friends and clients and that does not count many that were almost 100 pounds. From the beginning, Andrew Holmberg recognized the potential of the harsh Northern Frontier District of Kenya when foot safari blocks (no motorized vehicles allowed) were created.

He worked hard and took light loads in because he was going to have heavy tusks and lots of other trophies to take out. His personal best on elephant: 141 pounds per side; his best buffalo: 58 inches! Andrew consistently pioneered hunting new areas where others followed later. Looking through his photos it is hard to comprehend that when these hunts took place, exceptional trophies were Holmberg’s typical results. (Sam and Rose Pancotto took three 100-pound plus elephants on one safari!).

In East African professional hunting history, no other individual has been given undisputed credit for so many number one accomplishments in the hunting area – by both clients and professionals alike – as Andrew Holmberg. His book is, in one word, extraordinary. As Tony Dyer says in the Foreword, Andrew Holmberg has led a 'larger than life' life. One needs a mighty big brush to paint his life story.

A great Professinal Hunter...

Last edited by a moderator:
My father hunted with Andrew Holmberg, Robert Ruark, William Holden and other on a Safari in the late 50s. Anyone know how to get in touch with Mr. Holmberg, I understand he lives in Sweden.

Welcome to AH Emile.

Can you tell us anything about your father and his hunts? Any photos?

Please share some information. Anything would be appreciated.

A few ideas to get in contact with Holmberg:

Unfortunately Don Heath died last year. He was in contact with Holmberg. Don worked with Norma in Sweden. PM the usa sponsor, and AH member. @Norma-USA They should be able to get you in contact with Norma in Sweden. Decent chance that someone there would know how to contact Holmberg.

If that doesn't work I would check with the people that run Riley's hotel and or Riley's bar/café in Maun Botswana. Ask for contact information with some of the old PH's in the area. One of them should be able to help you.

Google Johan Calitz Safaris or Jeff Rann Safaris. Explain the situation. Either Calitz or Rann would know Holmberg and should be able to make contact for you.

If that doesn't work contact Tholo Safaris. Clive or Linda Eaton might be able to help figure out a way to make contact if they don't know him them self.

@BRICKBURN can find anything. A true detective. He might be able to find something.

Hope this helps. If none of these work, get back with us. I might be able to come up with something else.

All the best in your quest.

My father hunted with Andrew Holmberg, Robert Ruark, William Holden and other on a Safari in the late 50s. Anyone know how to get in touch with Mr. Holmberg, I understand he lives in Sweden.
Hi Emile,

In case you don't already know, Andrew Holmberg died in June 2015 in Sweden. His wife Judy died 2017.
The Holmbergs had come to Sweden from Spain in 2010 and lived in a house full of trophies.
Norma tried to obtain the record buffalo trophy but couldn't come to an agreement with Mr Holmberg.
A Swedish friend of mine wrote in detail about their last years and included the Swedish newspaper interview of Mr
Holmberg of 2011. - Btw I almost met Mr Holmberg when visiting Nairobi in 2002 and had as a safari guide
another Swede, Mr Ulf Aschan with whom we were supposed to visit Mr Holmberg. Unfortunately it didn't materialize.
Later after reading his book and knowing that he lived in Sweden I thought about paying him a visit and asked my
Swedish taxidermist to try to locate his wereabouts; Mr Pohlstrand (the taxidermist) said he tried but couldn't find any
exact address or phone nr.
Stef
(Cairo)

I found an article on the internet a few months back ... written by an American client hunter who visited South Africa on a full bag safari ( both plains game AND dangerous game ) in the 1960s . Mr. Andrew Holmberg was his White Hunter , and was armed with an old .470 Nitro Express calibre double barreled side by side rifle built by John Rigby & Co ( which was prone to double discharges ) . If anyone would desire ... I would be more than happy to provide the article to them , as it is saved in my I Pad .

Are there any old/famous PHs in Kenia "still alive"?
Thanks.
F.

Are there any old/famous PHs in Kenia "still alive"?
Thanks.
F.

You may enjoy this thread. It dealt with some of the old EAPHA outfitters.

Tony Dyer and Nicky Blunt both died in the last couple years in Kenya. Harry Selby died a 3-4 years ago in Botswana. Robin Hurt lives in Namibia. I believe Terry Matthews, Tony Seth Smith and David Mead are still alive and live in Kenya but can easily be mistaken. Danny McCallum lives in Arusha. Brian Herne may be in California.

Unfortunately I haven't heard from @JudyB for a couple years. She would be the best person I know of to supply you with this information.

@baxterb may also have some information he can bring to light.

All the best in finding what you want. If you can add to this thread with new information, please do.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/famous-african-professional-hunters.5880/page-3#post-287957

i tried safari press and amazon,no luck.amazon said they had 1 copy left,i bought it,e mailed me later and said,sorry,out of stock.

You may enjoy this thread. It dealt with some of the old EAPHA outfitters.

Tony Dyer and Nicky Blunt both died in the last couple years in Kenya. Harry Selby died a 3-4 years ago in Botswana. Robin Hurt lives in Namibia. I believe Terry Matthews, Tony Seth Smith and David Mead are still alive and live in Kenya but can easily be mistaken. Danny McCallum lives in Arusha. Brian Herne may be in California.

Unfortunately I haven't heard from @JudyB for a couple years. She would be the best person I know of to supply you with this information.

@baxterb may also have some information he can bring to light.

All the best in finding what you want. If you can add to this thread with new information, please do.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/famous-african-professional-hunters.5880/page-3#post-287957

Thanks for the tag @Wheels ...

Terry Mathews does indeed still live in Kenya (his son is also a sculptor and his art is sold at Jomo Kenyatta airport) , as does Tony Seth-Smith. Martin Dyer (Tony's son) still lives there and has a stunning house and farm (delicious blueberries!) on the Laikipia plateau overlooking the Lewa Conservancy. I had afternoon tea with Martin and Tony Seth-Smith's son (also Martin) last year. I had a brief encounter with Henry Henley (PH Tony Henley's son) at Muthaiga Club. Tony Henley was great pals with Harry Selby.

Not sure about Davide Mead. Brian Herne does indeed live in California now. Mike Prettejohn still lives between Mt. Kenya and the Aberdares. His son Giles is very much involved with the rhinos at Ol Pejeta. Speaking of Ol Pejeta, J.A. Hunter's grandson Alex lives on Ol Pejeta and is a guide there.

Brian Coleman lives in Texas.

Nicky Blunt actually died in the UK.

You can't throw a rock in Kenya without hitting either a person or a place that you've read about in the safari books - it is simply amazing. And the families of the old PHs are intertwined like a bowl of spaghetti... it's actually quite neat. Just the fact I met the sons of three legendary PHs in a short time was a treat.

Not sure if Emile Sicre is still active here, but if his father went on safari with Ruark, then his father is Ricardo Sicre, and is a fascinating man in his own right. Ricardo was great friends with Ruark and Hemingway, and it was he who pulled strings to get Bob Ruark's body back from London after he died. He arranged the meeting of Hemingway and Ruark in Pamplona in 1953, and also lent Ruark the money to buy what became his villa in Spain. Frankly, without Sicre, I doubt there would have been a 'Spanish" Ruark.

Good stuff...

Appreciate all the good information Baxter! Also thanks for correcting my mistakes. I knew you had some good information regarding Kenya but didn't realize you knew as many people as you know.

Are you going to publish anything about your last trip to Kenya, or at least write anything up? If you do I would love to read about it or see photos.

All the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpathianHunters

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!