Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I was under the belief that bows did not require permits. My son has decided to try his out in Africa...then I read this...

Arrowheads of any kind are illegal to possess in the Netherlands as are all folding knives. Under no circumstances should you attempt to travel or transit through the Netherlands with any kind of arrowheads including broadheads or folding knives even in your luggage. There are no provisions for acquiring a transit permit for such items as there is for firearms and ammunition. Bowhunters should avoid this route.

Is this information current? If so, that may scrap his plans as we are transiting through Amsterdam.

Crazy, but I could believe it.

Crazy, but I could believe it.

We may have a solution: my parents are travelling through Frankfurt so they can bring the broadheads and my leatherman. Does anyone forsee a problem with this solution?

have read about arrow heads and knives being seized in amsterdam airport when people were in transit even though they were in the checked luggage........

FLYING THROUGH AMSTERDAM?

A New Wrinkle for Hunters Transiting the Netherlands with Hunting Gear.

As if flying with hunting gear weren't difficult enough already, Sports Afield has learned of a new wrinkle that affects hunters flying through Amsterdam, a common transit airport for hunters flying to Africa. The Hunting Report recently reported that police at Schiphol Airport are actively searching bow cases for broadheads and threatening hunters with fines and jail time if they find them.

Three bowhunters reportedly had their broadheads confiscated this season. The police told them that all arrowheads are illegal to possess in the Netherlands, as are folding knives. These hunters did not attempt to bring their hunting gear into the country-only transit the Netherlands on the way to Africa-and they had declared their bows and arrows at check-in with Delta and KLM, but were not told it was a problem.

Hunters transiting the Netherlands with firearms and ammunition are required to have a transit permit for these items, but there is no such system in place for broadheads, so bowhunters should not attempt to fly through the Netherlands. In addition, all hunters transiting the country should avoid packing any kind of folding knife in their checked baggage.

There have been reports of issues in Amsterdam with blades.

Send the blades and broadheads with your parents in their checked bags and you will be just fine.

OK thanks for the input. Egads!

If there is a problem you can purchase many different broadheads in SA

Thanks for posting!

I am pleased with myself that I'm still somewhat surprised by the stupidity of government, any government. It means I'm not completely cynical and jaded.

so to make sure that I am reading that correctly---you can take your bow and your arrows and a fixed blade without issue but you can't take the broad heads and a folder knife?

I travel through Amsterdam eight times a year and usually have two folding pocket knives in my check-in luggage. Never had any problems and have carried one on me all through Europe for the last six years but probably won't next year in the UK. I hear the Brits frown on pocket knives.

What a croc of........#%€

We may have a solution: my parents are travelling through Frankfurt so they can bring the broadheads and my leatherman. Does anyone forsee a problem with this solution?

Why not fly out of Dorval and avoid Europe. Mtl--> Atl --> JNB. Never had a moments grief from Delta or customs. I do get the hairy eyeball from some passengers when putting my firearm unloaded card in the case at check in.

Why not fly out of Dorval and avoid Europe. Mtl--> Atl --> JNB. Never had a moments grief from Delta or customs. I do get the hairy eyeball from some passengers when putting my firearm unloaded card in the case at check in.

This is my first time going and I am compiling a list of "to do differently" lol

Reactions: lcq
I travel through Amsterdam eight times a year and usually have two folding pocket knives in my check-in luggage. Never had any problems and have carried one on me all through Europe for the last six years but probably won't next year in the UK. I hear the Brits frown on pocket knives.

Essentially it must be non locking with a blade under 3 inches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you