Ammunition Test - Woodleigh RNSN Weldcore

I put this same load over a chrono today, 2247fps, 2221fps and 2223fps for an average of 2230fps. Pretty much exactly the velocity I was looking for with the Woodleigh RNSN. I am thinking of getting some Woodleigh PPSN 500grn bullets and cranking them up to 2300fps to see how the handle the velocity.

As mentioned in my last ammo test, I said I would get around to testing Woodleigh bullets when I had a chance. I was going to test the Norma offering in my 458 Lott which is the 550grn Woodleigh RNSN Weldcore at an advertise muzzle velocity of 2100fps. I haven't managed to get my hands on any of these yet so today I tested my own hand loads.

Again like my last test this was done with 20L water drums, these drums are about 10.5 inches wide. Shots were fired at exactly 50 yards which is a fairly common distance for dangerous game hunting. I have to say I am extremely impressed with the Woodleighs, they performed far better than I expected them to as they do have a reputation for being a bit on the soft side.

Penetration was basically incidental to that of the testing I did with the 300grn Swift A-frame and Hornady DGX Bonded out of my 375H&H. The 2 Woodleighs I tested stopped in the third drum but dented and slightly pierced the back side of the third drum so as I did last time I am going to call that 3 full drums of penetration. From all the load data I have seen with the bullets, powder and primers I was using in this calibre suggests my loads would be at 2200-2250fps (the recoil is just as stout as factory loads I have fired).

Also this load proved to be extremely accurate, photo of a 3 shot group at 50 yards below.

Again I hope some people get something out of this and find some of this info useful. If you have any questions let me know.

Rifle used - Kimber Caprivi chambered in 458 Lott with a 24" barrel

Ammo used-
Woodleigh 500grn RNSN Weldcore
Hornady brass
Alliant RL15 (83.8grns)
Federal Gold Medal Match LRM primers
Estimated Muzzle velocity 2200-2250fps
Estimated impact velocity 2100fps

Performance from both bullets tested was virtually identical.
Penetration 31.5 inches
Expansion 0.986 Inches
Weight retention over 99%

View attachment 337166
View attachment 337167
View attachment 337168
View attachment 337169
View attachment 337170
View attachment 337171
View attachment 337172
View attachment 337173
View attachment 337174
As mentioned in my last ammo test, I said I would get around to testing Woodleigh bullets when I had a chance. I was going to test the Norma offering in my 458 Lott which is the 550grn Woodleigh RNSN Weldcore at an advertise muzzle velocity of 2100fps. I haven't managed to get my hands on any of these yet so today I tested my own hand loads.

Again like my last test this was done with 20L water drums, these drums are about 10.5 inches wide. Shots were fired at exactly 50 yards which is a fairly common distance for dangerous game hunting. I have to say I am extremely impressed with the Woodleighs, they performed far better than I expected them to as they do have a reputation for being a bit on the soft side.

Penetration was basically incidental to that of the testing I did with the 300grn Swift A-frame and Hornady DGX Bonded out of my 375H&H. The 2 Woodleighs I tested stopped in the third drum but dented and slightly pierced the back side of the third drum so as I did last time I am going to call that 3 full drums of penetration. From all the load data I have seen with the bullets, powder and primers I was using in this calibre suggests my loads would be at 2200-2250fps (the recoil is just as stout as factory loads I have fired).

Also this load proved to be extremely accurate, photo of a 3 shot group at 50 yards below.

Again I hope some people get something out of this and find some of this info useful. If you have any questions let me know.

Rifle used - Kimber Caprivi chambered in 458 Lott with a 24" barrel

Ammo used-
Woodleigh 500grn RNSN Weldcore
Hornady brass
Alliant RL15 (83.8grns)
Federal Gold Medal Match LRM primers
Estimated Muzzle velocity 2200-2250fps
Estimated impact velocity 2100fps

Performance from both bullets tested was virtually identical.
Penetration 31.5 inches
Expansion 0.986 Inches
Weight retention over 99%

View attachment 337166
View attachment 337167
View attachment 337168
View attachment 337169
View attachment 337170
View attachment 337171
View attachment 337172
View attachment 337173
View attachment 337174
@Aussie Hunter
Woodleigh bullets are under rated.
I drive a 225grain PPSP at over 2,900 fps out of my Whelen which is well over their recommend velocity but my opinion is I don't shoot game at the muzzle so it doesn't worry me.
This is a 225grain PPSP at max recommend impact velocity of 2,700fps retrieved from my zebra after breaking shoulders, bone and destroying everything in between.
Bob

20200409_085629.jpg
20200409_085712.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
years ago I tested some bullets for Handloader's Digest by shooting them into water filled gallon milk jugs. I had similar results to above. One thing I did to gain perspective was put a goodly shot of foot coloring in the first three jugs, Blue, yellow, green. I filmed the shot with a video camera but the technology of the day (1990) was insufficient to what could be done today. even so, a lot could be learned from the color. for delayed expansion the desired result was less blue and more red. Comparing pictures with a fairly objective color scale indicated which put more energy into the third jug and less in the first. I see a reason to buy a decent "updated" camera.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bj88ak

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,