Ammunition Test - Woodleigh RNSN Weldcore

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
As mentioned in my last ammo test, I said I would get around to testing Woodleigh bullets when I had a chance. I was going to test the Norma offering in my 458 Lott which is the 550grn Woodleigh RNSN Weldcore at an advertise muzzle velocity of 2100fps. I haven't managed to get my hands on any of these yet so today I tested my own hand loads.

Again like my last test this was done with 20L water drums, these drums are about 10.5 inches wide. Shots were fired at exactly 50 yards which is a fairly common distance for dangerous game hunting. I have to say I am extremely impressed with the Woodleighs, they performed far better than I expected them to as they do have a reputation for being a bit on the soft side.

Penetration was basically incidental to that of the testing I did with the 300grn Swift A-frame and Hornady DGX Bonded out of my 375H&H. The 2 Woodleighs I tested stopped in the third drum but dented and slightly pierced the back side of the third drum so as I did last time I am going to call that 3 full drums of penetration. From all the load data I have seen with the bullets, powder and primers I was using in this calibre suggests my loads would be at 2200-2250fps (the recoil is just as stout as factory loads I have fired).

Also this load proved to be extremely accurate, photo of a 3 shot group at 50 yards below.

Again I hope some people get something out of this and find some of this info useful. If you have any questions let me know.

Rifle used - Kimber Caprivi chambered in 458 Lott with a 24" barrel

Ammo used-
Woodleigh 500grn RNSN Weldcore
Hornady brass
Alliant RL15 (83.8grns)
Federal Gold Medal Match LRM primers
Estimated Muzzle velocity 2200-2250fps
Estimated impact velocity 2100fps

Performance from both bullets tested was virtually identical.
Penetration 31.5 inches
Expansion 0.986 Inches
Weight retention over 99%

upload_2020-3-21_13-2-56.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-3-20.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-3-47.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-4-9.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-4-48.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-5-18.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-5-39.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-6-0.png

upload_2020-3-21_13-6-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-21_12-57-55.png
    upload_2020-3-21_12-57-55.png
    34 MB · Views: 203
Nice to see what a Weldcore looks like when expanded.

The .411 400 grain Weldcore that is killed my Cape buff with went in behind the rearmost left rib, through the heart, and out between the front legs - gone bye bye.

Similar for a .411 400 grain Woodie solid that went through a Buff pelvis - dropped the buff and kept going.

Good bullets as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the tests and report.

Do you have any way of measuring the absorption/destruction of the jugs? to clarify, I'm wondering if you can tell the rate that the bullet transferred its energy to the water/jugs.

THANK YOU so much for doing this test and sharing this info! The internet is richer precisely because of people like yourself.

Do you have any way of measuring the absorption/destruction of the jugs? to clarify, I'm wondering if you can tell the rate that the bullet transferred its energy to the water/jugs.
Looking at the drums afterwards it had lost most of it's energy by the time it gets to the third drum. The first 2 drums are having the lids blown off and splitting down the seams while the third drum just has a hole in it. I have a video of one of the test shots, I will post it later. The second drum actually does a back flip over the third drum.

Yeah, and you wonder why Norma is charging $102 US for 10 cartridges.
Because when the chips are down, they are worth it.

Can't wait for the video.

Thank you for taking the time in doing this.
I shoot the 570gr Woodleigh Weldcores out of my 500NE.
Had a hunter shoot two Cape Buffalo with the Weldcores and both broke the near shoulder, and sat under the skin on the opposite side.
I think the notion that they were too soft, might have come from their earlier bullets, but that certainly has not been my experience with them.

Good Lord!

Have to reload mate.....:ROFLMAO:

I had about 10 left after reloading before the last hunt, got to the one outdoor shop and found 3 boxes of 570gr Weldcores. Took all of them.....

I’d expect nothing less from Woodleigh actually.
Very impressive group!
Congratulations and thanks for this post.
When more data are available in different calibers, I’d really like you to post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross