Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Ok guys just wondering if anyone has used a set up like this to take there ammo in to South Africa?
Trying to get max I can staying under the weight limit.
I have always used a Pelican with factory boxes inside it. Wondering if this set up with 3 different calibers in it would pass SA Regulations?

IMG_1501.JPG

Taking three firearms? As long as there's no way for them to come loose and be separated, looks ok to me. RSA wouldn't worry me. A clueless ticket agent is another story.

Should work just fine. I just use slip boxes inside of a second MTM ammo box that will hold 4 slip boxes of ammo.

Taking three firearms? As long as there's no way for them to come loose and be separated, looks ok to me. RSA wouldn't worry me. A clueless ticket agent is another story.

Yes taking 3 rifles. I have a 26 day mixed DG and Plains Game this year.

Definitely liking this idea!

I’ve only got to worry about 2 rifles.. and I’m only planning on 50 rounds total... but this would make things easy, organized, and manageable...

If you want to go by the book ammunition should be transported in its original factory packaging. Why ? Because as OEM it is accepted as fit for purpose.
I have like everyone else brought my ammo in MTM boxes either in 20’s or 50’s and have had no problem. I have also stood fuming at checkin as a jobsworthy made me wrap tissue paper around each individual round in the original factory box.go figure
I always book my own flights abroad. Generally out of Ireland it’s max 2 stop overs or just the one. I tend to peruse the airlines conditions of carriage, print them off and abide by them.

I have done it many times, no problem whatsoever as long as:

1) the ammo in the box matches what is declared on the SAPS 520 (for SA hunts or transit);​
2) the caliber stamps on the ammo in the box match the caliber stamps on the barrels;​
3) there is not more than 200 rounds of ammo in one caliber;​
4) the ammo box (including box itself, ammo, TSA lock) does not exceed 11 lbs. / 5kg.​

FYI, for travel to Africa from the USA/Canada the TSA rule does not speak of original factory packaging. The exact language is: "Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline" (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition).

Note 1: the max weight of 11 lbs. is the criteria I use to determine how much ammo I bring. As a rule I try to have at least 40 rounds per caliber, but sometimes I need to take a few less in large calibers owing to weight...

Note 2: the MTM ammo box did not prove sturdy enough. It cracked after 3 safaris. I am now using the Pelican 1150 which has proven - so far - indestructible... (Remember that on SA domestic flights, the ammo box will have to be pulled out of the checked luggage and checked separately, hence exposed to rough handling...).

MTM ammo box with .340 Wby and .470 NE.JPG

MTM ammo box with .340 Wby and .470 NE

MTM ammo box with .340 Wby and .257 Wby.JPG

MTM ammo box with .257 Wby and .340 Wby

Pelican 1150 with 40 x .257 Wby 100 gr 40 x .300 Wby 165 gr 35 x .375 H&H 300 gr - 10 lbs 13 oz.jpg

Pelican 1150 with .257 Wby, .300 Wby and .375 H&H

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.07.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.07.54 AM.png
    840.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.07.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 8.07.56 AM.png
    646.1 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
If you want to go by the book ammunition should be transported in its original factory packaging. Why ? Because as OEM it is accepted as fit for purpose.
I have like everyone else brought my ammo in MTM boxes either in 20’s or 50’s and have had no problem. I have also stood fuming at checkin as a jobsworthy made me wrap tissue paper around each individual round in the original factory box.go figure
I always book my own flights abroad. Generally out of Ireland it’s max 2 stop overs or just the one. I tend to peruse the airlines conditions of carriage, print them off and abide by them.

As a handloader.....my box's are the original box's

That’s a clever idea to use the Pelican as the case itself... I actually looked into sourcing/making 5-round packs because it’s easy to stick one here and one there without too much trouble. The old kynoch ones I have are falling apart now.

I would advise against it. I know technically it can be done but you will eventually find an agent, whether airline or police, that will freak out completely if they are not in factory ammo boxes.
Take a Pelican case with your ammo in factory boxes. When you get to your destination take ammo out and use it to lock up your valuables and passport.
Regards
Philip

I take my ammo in an aluminum pistol case that's lockable. I reload so have never had a factory ammo box to but ammo in. I just put them in the blue plastic shell holders with a sticker printed out that says what type. I put foam in top of ammo box so as no rattling can go on. I would do the same on your box. Just glue in some foam in the lid. I have never had a problem . That being said my ammo has only been checked one time and that was in Namibia on the way home. As long as they can identify and they don't rattle or make noise I don't see a problem.

received_453321815808859.jpeg
received_725280635045723.jpeg
received_1302938890089048.jpeg

Last edited:
I have done it many times, no problem whatsoever as long as:

1) the ammo in the box matches what is declared on the SAPS 520 (for SA hunts or transit);​
2) the caliber stamps on the ammo in the box match the caliber stamps on the barrels;​
3) there is not more than 200 rounds of ammo in one caliber;​
4) the ammo box (including box itself, ammo, TSA lock) does not exceed 11 lbs. / 5kg.​

FYI, for travel to Africa from the USA/Canada the TSA rule does not speak of original factory packaging. The exact language is: "Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline" (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition).

Note 1: the max weight of 11 lbs. is the criteria I use to determine how much ammo I bring. As a rule I try to have at least 40 rounds per caliber, but sometimes I need to take a few less in large calibers owing to weight...

Note 2: the MTM ammo box did not prove sturdy enough. It cracked after 3 safaris. I am now using the Pelican 1150 which has proven - so far - indestructible... (Remember that on SA domestic flights, the ammo box will have to be pulled out of the checked luggage and checked separately, hence exposed to rough handling...).

View attachment 388404
MTM ammo box with .340 Wby and .470 NE

View attachment 388405
MTM ammo box with .257 Wby and .340 Wby

View attachment 388408
Pelican 1150 with .257 Wby, .300 Wby and .375 H&H
What exactly are you using for ammo holders in the bottom of that pelican case?

Well, technically we all need Oxygen to continue to live. Some folks are a pure waste of it. I prefer to not help perpetuate the latter variety imposing their ignorance on my fellow hunters at the airports or border crossings.

In the event you run into an uneducated person at the airport. Educate them.
Show them the rules and save your fellow hunters the trouble on the next flight.

There are numerous threads with factual references on AH. Use them.

Basic Process:
  1. Check your airlines policy on Firearms and Ammunition. DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL (If they do not reference IATA guidelines, why the hell are you thinking of getting on that plane)
  2. Check each Country that you plan to visit or transit for their Rules, Regulations and Laws on Firearms and Ammunition.
  3. Figure out what the IATA is, because you are bored.
  4. Comply with the policies, regulations and laws or all involved.
  5. Go hunting and have fun.
The other easy way to deal with all this: Never travel with a firearm.

Just be sure you can put a pad lock ( 2 is better) on the ammo box, as you may have to ship it as luggage and not put in your with your luggage.

This may be of use to some of the members following this thread. The box pictured is a knock off of the Pelican 1150. It holds three factory Remington boxes of .416 Remington perfectly and weighs in right at eight pounds with sixty 400 grain loads in that caliber. Factory boxes of Barnes .375 H&H TSX, Hornady DGS, and Nosler Safari .404 factory boxes will not work the way I have them pictured. I plan to experiment one of these days with the next size Pelican to see how some of the larger factory boxes fit. Unless it has changed in Namibia the law has been 80 rounds per caliber which puts you right there at the 11 pounds max allowed by the airlines with a comparable weighted cartridge. I use the same old factory boxes filled with ammunition loaded on my bench.

thumbnail_20210209_130429.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly are you using for ammo holders in the bottom of that pelican case?
Weatherby factory ammo box dividers. The old ones (red) are perfect because the central rib holds 20 rounds. The new ones (black) also work, but because the back rib holds only 10 rounds, you need two for 20 rounds and this takes a bit more space in the case.

By the way, the only drawback to the Pelican 1150 is that it is just not tall enough to take .470 NE vertically. I have to layer horizontally for them.

I use a Pelican 1150 nonetheless because it is significantly lighter (1.61 lbs.) than the next size up 1200 (2.65 lbs.). This is important to me because, like Mark:

1) I go to Africa 3+ weeks at a time (I am at the stage in professional life where I can; 1 week is not enough: you barely arrived and you are already thinking about leaving :cry:; 2 weeks is great but additional daily rates are cheap compared to the cost of the flight ;); and 3+ weeks really allow me to disconnect :giggle:.​
2) I take 3 calibers (light, medium, heavy) - hence my decision to go for a Blaser R8 - because the package usually includes Buff at one end (.470) and Vaal Rhebok at the other end (.257 Wby), with about anything in between (.300 Wby or .375 H&H if cats are involved), and I rather have 1 additional lb. of ammo rather than 1 additional lb. of box, so that I can have ~40 rounds per PG caliber and 20 to 30 per DG caliber.​

As it is, the 1150 allows, for example:
  • 50 x .257 Wby 100 gr, plus 38 x .300 Wby 165 gr, and 20 x .470 NE 500 gr, for 10 lbs. 14 oz. with TSA locks.
  • 40 x .257 Wby 100 gr, plus 40 x .300 Wby 165 gr, and 35 x .375 H&H 300 gr, for 10 lbs. 13 oz. with TSA locks.
  • Any other permutation...
Pelican 1150 with 50 x .257 Wby 100 gr 38 x .300 Wby 165 gr 20 x .470 NE 500 gr - 10 lbs 14 oz.jpg

Pelican 1150 with 50 x .257 Wby, 38 x .300 Wby and 20 x .470 NE

Admittedly, the bulkier factory boxes or reloader boxes in heavier aluminum or plastic cases work fine for folks going on shorter hunts with one or two calibers and bringing 40 to 80 rounds total. To each our own :)

I would advise against it. I know technically it can be done but you will eventually find an agent, whether airline or police, that will freak out completely if they are not in factory ammo boxes.
Take a Pelican case with your ammo in factory boxes. When you get to your destination take ammo out and use it to lock up your valuables and passport.
Regards
Philip

To each our own Philip, but the "factory ammo box" requirement is a myth...

TSA is very clear: "Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline" (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition).

Last edited:
Weatherby factory ammo box dividers. The old ones (red) are perfect because the central rib holds 20 rounds. The new ones (black) also work, but because the back rib holds only 10 rounds, you need two for 20 rounds and this takes a bit more space in the case.

By the way, the only drawback to the Pelican 1150 is that it is just not tall enough to take .470 NE vertically. I have to layer horizontally for them.

I use a Pelican 1150 nonetheless because it is significantly lighter (1.61 lbs.) than the next size up 1200 (2.65 lbs.). This is important to me because, like Mark:

1) I go to Africa 3+ weeks at a time (I am at the stage in professional life where I can; 1 week is not enough: you barely arrived and you are already thinking about leaving :cry:; 2 weeks is great but additional daily rates are cheap compared to the cost of the flight ;); and 3+ weeks really allow me to disconnect :giggle:.​
2) I take 3 calibers (light, medium, heavy) - hence my decision to go for a Blaser R8 - because the package usually includes Buff at one end (.470) and Vaal Rhebok at the other end (.257 Wby), with about anything in between (.300 Wby or .375 H&H if cats are involved), and I rather have 1 additional lb. of ammo rather than 1 additional lb. of box, so that I can have ~40 rounds per PG caliber and 20 to 30 per DG caliber.​

As it is, the 1150 allows, for example:
  • 50 x .257 Wby 100 gr, plus 38 x .300 Wby 165 gr, and 20 x .470 NE 500 gr, for 10 lbs. 14 oz. with TSA locks.
  • 40 x .257 Wby 100 gr, plus 40 x .300 Wby 165 gr, and 35 x .375 H&H 300 gr, for 10 lbs. 13 oz. with TSA locks.
  • Any other permutation...
View attachment 388479
Pelican 1150 with 50 x .257 Wby, 38 x .300 Wby and 20 x .470 NE

Admittedly, the bulkier factory boxes or reloader boxes in heavier aluminum or plastic cases work fine for folks going on shorter hunts with one or two calibers and bringing 40 to 80 rounds total. To each our own :)

To each our own Philip, but the "factory ammo box" requirement is a myth...

TSA is very clear: "Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline" (https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition).
thanks, I ordered one of the cases. that's what I needed to know

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScottyB2157

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!