Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
I understand that ammunition has to be in a separate locked case when traveling within or from RSA. Does anyone know whether the ammunition box has to be a hard case, or whether a soft cordura case would work as long as it locks? I was at Bass Pro looking at options and they had small toiletry bags that would be a perfect size and could be locked throughbthevzippers.

I'm almost certain it does not have to be in a hard case. I beleive you could even put your ammo within your baggage....it just has to be seprate from the rifle. Someone please confirm and correct me if I'm wrong.

In RSA ammo will fly in a seperate hard case, can even be a fishing tackle box. Elsewhere it can be combined with other luggage. It just has to be a hard case with a lock.

I picked up a coke tube box that also has room for shot shells.. fits 3 boxes for my .300WSM perfectly.

I would contact your airline.
As E said, in RSA the ammunition case will be flying separate. So, if it gets banged around will the soft case protect the ammunition. It is considered a hazardous good by the airlines. Do you want to test the theory?

From one airline:

"Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a resealable plastic container. To avoid shock movement, the properly packaged ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing."

Still does not lay out what "secure" is.

Transport Canada:

Boxed cartridges: With the approval of the airline(s), passengers may bring securely boxed cartridges (1.4S, UN0012 or UN0014 only) as checked baggage only, in quantities not exceeding 5 kg per person for that person's own use, excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles. Allowances for more than one per person must not be combined into packages.

IATA airline scheduled flight permissions and approvals

The phrase Div. 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 denotes the categories of ammunition that the IATA permits to be carried on passenger flights. In simple terms, each passenger may carry up to 5 kg of weapons cartridges of less than 19.1 mm caliber being either blanks or with solid projectile(s), in their checked baggage. The IATA published the minimum requirement for an airline for the carriage of dangerous goods in a table, where ammunition of the following nature can only be carried subject to the following permissions and approvals:

Ammunition (cartridges for weapons), securely packaged (in Div. 1.4S, UN 0012 or UN 0014 only), in quantities not exceeding 5 kg (11 lb) gross weight per person for that person's own use, excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles. Allowances for more than one passenger must not be combined into one or more packages.
Permitted in carry on baggage: NO
Permitted in or as checked baggage: YES
Permitted on one's person: NO
The approval of the operator(s) is required: YES
The pilot in command must be informed of the location: NO

Division 1.4S
Division 1.4 refers to the specific nature of the ammunition, and the suffix "S" refers to the packing, as follows [2]
Articles and substances that present no significant hazard. This division comprises articles and substances, which present only a small hazard in the event of ignition or initiation during transport. The effects are largely confined to the package and no projection of fragments of appreciable size or range is to be expected. An external fire must not cause virtually instantaneous explosion of almost the entire contents of the package.

Note: Articles and substances in this division are placed in Compatibility Group S when they are so packed or designed that any hazardous effects arising from accidental functioning are confined within the package unless the package has been degraded by fire, in which case all blast or projection effects are limited to the extent that they do not significantly hinder fire-fighting or other emergency response efforts in the immediate vicinity of the package.

United Nations UN 0012
UN 0012 defines the category 'Cartridges for weapons, inert projectile or Cartridges, small arms', being "Ammunition consisting of a cartridge case fitted with a centre or rimfire primer and containing both a propelling charge and solid projectile(s). They are designed to be fired in weapons of calibre not larger than 19.1 mm. Shotgun cartridges of any calibre are included in this definition."

From one airline:

"Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a resealable plastic container. To avoid shock movement, the properly packaged ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.""

No confusion there.. the way I read it, is that if you have the ammo in the original cardboard cases you don't need the wood/metal case.. & try & find a metal or wood case.. I have not see one.

What have you done on Air Canada (as I saw that is where it was from)

This past February we carried the ammo in 20 round plastic ammo boxes in with the guns, and once in SA moved them into our checked bags....no problems.

What have you done on Air Canada (as I saw that is where it was from)

Last trip we all used little metal cash boxes from Walmart.

This time we all decided it was time to use a different approach after the small metal cases with ammunition inside were thrown onto the luggage conveyor. That did not feel safe.

Pelican case. Not sure which model. Might be the 1200. It is lockable and will take the abuse. Secure in my mind.

Pelican 1300 Case - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

It will hold 7 Boxes of shells or 140 rounds. .270 Win.
Pelican Case Weight 1.210 Kg
140 - 130grain .270 = 3.808Kg
Total Overall weight 5.018
(You are not allowed to bring this many rounds into RSA for one firearm)

My likely combination:
60 - 180 Grain 300WinMag
80 - 130 Grain .270Win
Total Ammo Weight 4.02Kg.

Have to drop a few shells out to get under the overall weight.

I may try and read the details of the International regulations to determine the facts.
What is included in the weight of the 5kg limit?
The Ammunition or dangerous good or the entire container and contents.
I can foresee the battle with the airline ticket counter now, without the printed regulation in hand. :(

This is what I picked up MTM Case-Gard Shotshell/Choke Tube Case | Cabela's Canada

The 3 boxes of ammo fit perfect in it. I never saw the metal thing when I looked the first time at the Air Canada site. Now I am worried about it.. guess a trip to walmart to see what I can find. The case I got would be more secure than the cheap cash boxes..

Keep learning I guess...

This is what I picked up MTM Case-Gard Shotshell/Choke Tube Case | Cabela's Canada

The 3 boxes of ammo fit perfect in it. I never saw the metal thing when I looked the first time at the Air Canada site. Now I am worried about it.. guess a trip to walmart to see what I can find. The case I got would be more secure than the cheap cash boxes..

Keep learning I guess...

I would not sweat the plastic/metal thing.
Secure is the one that concerns me. I chose lockable.

I am traveling through 5 countries. 4 different airlines. I am going to make sure I am beyond anything any one of them might choose to spring on me at the counter.

For those traveling on one airline, use the international rules and your airlines dangerous goods information.

I refuse to risk screwing up a 7 week trip up because of ammunition conflicts with airlines. :)

it might not be a big issue I guess.. both lufthansa & SAA just say lockable. The case I picked up can get a padlock, that is as secure as the rifle would be

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the soft case is out. I'll go back to my original plan and pick up a couple of lockable, hard cases.

it might not be a big issue I guess.. both lufthansa & SAA just say lockable. The case I picked up can get a padlock, that is as secure as the rifle would be

There you go. Secure.

We use small handgun cases sold by Cabala's and they have provisions for a pad lock, too. Just a note to the wise, under no circumstances use a "TSA" lock on your gun case or ammo case. By law, you are the only one that can have access to those containers. If you can, make sure TSA OKs them before you leave the check in counter. By TSA rule, if you are traveling ONLY within the USA ammo can go in your gun case. Once you have to go across the USA border into another country ammo must be in your separate checked in bag.
There is no rule requiring TSA locks even on checked bags. I use very bright colored tie wrap straps to secure my checked bags so I can see immediately if the tie wrap is gone when the bag comes out that someone has been in there. TSA uses standard white tie wraps to re-secure those they look into so I use colored ones to know the difference. TSA always leaves a note inside when they go in so just because you have a white tie wrap make sure the note is inside before you leave baggage claim. I have the airline rep standing there when I open mine with a white tie wrap. Have done it twice now.

Forgot to add- by "have TSA OK them before you leave the ticket counter" I mean have them scan your bags before you leave to make sure they don't have to go inside them. This can be done at most airports. Bring extra locks in your carry on in case they get cut off.

Cliffy, I have seen those ammo cases at Cabelas on-line, but we don't have a store here for me to look at them. How much ammo will they hold? I'm taking two guns, a 375 h & h and a 300 win mag. Can I get at least two boxes of each in one case?

I put 3 boxes of 338/06 in mine but I'll go out and see if I can measure mine and get back to you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg