Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SA wingshooters, GOSA,
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Botswana
Hi all,

My SO and I are looking to move to New Zealand in the near future and I wanted to know a little about ammo availability for the FA I'm taking with me:
1) 7x64
2) .308 Norma
3) .338 WM
4) .375 H&H

I see ammo isn't cheap in general, but I want to know if I can find anything for the above cartridges?

Also, if anyone is willing, I was hoping someone could fill me in on the laws around reloading in NZ??

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
None of those are common in NZ but you can probably find all of them apart from the .308 Norma magnum.
Most firearms shops in NZ have a website and list the ammo they sell. Common shops are
Guncity
Reloaders
Serious Shooters
Hunting and Fishing

All those shops are in Auckland

If flying in to Christchurch then the main shops are
Guncity
Hunting and Fishing
Gunworks

Reloading in NZ is very common, the only thing you might need to show a firearms licence for is the Powder.
Please be aware that you need to apply for your temporary firearms licence at least one month before hand.

None of those are common in NZ but you can probably find all of them apart from the .308 Norma magnum.
Most firearms shops in NZ have a website and list the ammo they sell. Common shops are
Guncity
Reloaders
Serious Shooters
Hunting and Fishing

All those shops are in Auckland

If flying in to Christchurch then the main shops are
Guncity
Hunting and Fishing
Gunworks

Reloading in NZ is very common, the only thing you might need to show a firearms licence for is the Powder.
Please be aware that you need to apply for your temporary firearms licence at least one month before hand.

Thanks for the replies so far, out of curiosity, what are the more common cartridges, to the best of your knowledge?

Attachments

• Screenshot (112).png
    Screenshot (112).png
    408.9 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

My SO and I are looking to move to New Zealand in the near future and I wanted to know a little about ammo availability for the FA I'm taking with me:
1) 7x64
2) .308 Norma
3) .338 WM
4) .375 H&H

I see ammo isn't cheap in general, but I want to know if I can find anything for the above cartridges?

Also, if anyone is willing, I was hoping someone could fill me in on the laws around reloading in NZ??

TIA

Stug is the man who knows but I'd reiterate what hes said.

I reckon about 95% of kiwi hunters own either a sako or tikka in 7mm08!

I envy you, my wife and i talked about moving there but then bought a house and got pregnant. Its a beautiful place with amazing hunting and some of the nicest people you'll meet anywhere.

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg