Americase vs SKB, decisions...

Tanks

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I found an Americase double breakdown case. Wondering how it compares in regards to airline travel with the SKB. Here are pics, the soft lid shown is available for both sides. Which would you prefer? Assume there will be no internal movement of gun parts within the case for both.

1611851595403.png

1611851685201.png

Tanks,
In my experience the Pelican/SKB style is great. I used to transport high value sensitive equipment for work, and we almost exclusively used the injection molded hard side cases for that task.

I have moved away from metal cases as well over the last several trips. I have both SKB and pelican that have become my go to cases for both rifles and shotguns.

I love my Americase. I've had a ton of plastic cases by various manufactures. I like this case I have now because the guns ride up right not flat making it very compact. I've had two plastic cases get broke. The case also stands upright on its end so its not taking room if your standing in a line. It would be dang tough to break into this case. I tested one of my broke plastic cases and I could break into it in less than 6 minutes. It also doesn't look like a gun case. You cant go wrong with either, but my Americase with all the times I have loaned it out has been to Africa over 30 times now. There's never been a problem and its doesn't even have a dent in it. Price is the scary part. But if something happened to it today I would replace it with the same one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.48.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.48.10 PM.png
    571.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.48.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 2.48.12 PM.png
    444 KB · Views: 80
Be careful with it. They no longer manufacture gun cases.
Did not know that, that blows !!!! I have 2 of them a 2 gun and a 3 gun so I should be good tell I die !

I found an Americase double breakdown case. Wondering how it compares in regards to airline travel with the SKB. Here are pics, the soft lid shown is available for both sides. Which would you prefer? Assume there will be no internal movement of gun parts within the case for both.

View attachment 386395

View attachment 386396
I am curious about your plans. Are you going to go on safari with just one double rifle? With the fact that you have a 50lb allowance from the airlines for your gun case I can not see a scenario where you would want such a small case. Why not take a typical 2 rifle case so you have more room for other things?
If I had to go with the cases you picture it would be certainly the second one.
Good discussion. I didn’t know Americase stopped making gun cases. They were always at the shows. I bought the 3 gun case simply because I have always wanted one. I do use it for going back and forth to my range but it may never make it to Africa.
Philip

I am curious about your plans. Are you going to go on safari with just one double rifle? With the fact that you have a 50lb allowance from the airlines for your gun case I can not see a scenario where you would want such a small case. Why not take a typical 2 rifle case so you have more room for other things?

At this point I am planning to take two double rifles. So, my total gun weight will be around 20+ lbs, with the weight of a case does not leave much room for anything else. I also have a driven pheasant hunt in Scotland in October where I will take two SxS shotguns weighing much less though.

Part of the reason for having a small case is so I do not have to deal with "obvious gun case" issues at hotels. The Americase matches my Rimowa luggage ;)

1611933063575.png

At this point I am planning to take two double rifles. So, my total gun weight will be around 20+ lbs, with the weight of a case does not leave much room for anything else. I also have a driven pheasant hunt in Scotland in October where I will take two SxS shotguns weighing much less though.

Part of the reason for having a small case is so I do not have to deal with "obvious gun case" issues at hotels. The Americase matches my Rimowa luggage ;)

View attachment 386515
^^ Valid points for taking two break downs in something that resembles regular luggage. :) I always just take one break down bolt gun so it fits perfectly in the Pelican single shotgun breakdown. But I don't stay in non-hunting areas with hotels that are not gun savvy. I can see the value in using a cryptic luggage style like that.

Generally though, for anyone thinking of upgrading their travel case, I wouldn't over think it! Use the simplest, most practical, toughest case you can find. The STANDARD for years has been the Pelican. The Pelican is NOT the most expensive either! But it is without a doubt the case against which all others are compared. Now I notice the SKB iSeries looks to be similar if not a clone of the Pelican. Never had an SKB iSeries but would look and compare side by side to Pelican if you are bound and determined to use something other than Pelican. For the Pelican, choose the full thickness option for the Pelican foam. Take a sharp knife and cut out the appropriate outline in the bottom foam to about half the depth of the equipment (gun, etc.) to be secured, leaving full thickness in the lid for a slightly compressed and secure fit. If the foam is two sections of half thickness, usually cutting the outline in the first layer will work. I've used contact cement on mine to hold the foam in place top and bottom and for any foam to foam areas requiring being bonded together. Seems to work well.

Got a kick out of how fickle or educated the market really is. I shared a table with a friend at a gun show 3 or 4 years ago. He had an expensive, aluminum 2 rifle case on the table from the opening on Friday and all day Saturday. He had a big $20 sign on it. No inquiries. By Sunday at noon he had changed the sign to Make Offer!. He never got an offer. :)

Last edited:
Generally though, for anyone thinking of upgrading their travel case, I wouldn't over think it! Use the simplest, most practical, toughest case you can find. The STANDARD for years has been the Pelican. The Pelican is NOT the most expensive either! But it is without a doubt the case against which all others are compared. Now I notice the SKB iSeries looks to be similar if not a clone of the Pelican. Never had an SKB iSeries but would look and compare side by side to Pelican if you are bound and determined to use something other than Pelican. For the Pelican, choose the full thickness option for the Pelican foam. Take a sharp knife and cut out the appropriate outline in the bottom foam to about half the depth of the equipment (gun, etc.) to be secured, leaving full thickness in the lid for a slightly compressed and secure fit.

For full length rifle cases I do have a pair of Pelican Storm cases. Pelican was the first place I looked for take down cases, but that option is available only for the "el cheapo" vault line which does NOT have wheels, and that is a deal breaker for me.

I don't know the details of all the Pelican models but the single gun, take down length Pelican I use does have wheels. But it really doesn't need wheels because a single 10# rifle in the short case is easy enough to carry or I can just temporarily strap it on top of my main wheeled baggage for zipping around an airport unencumbered by multiple pieces of luggage. But I do like the idea of the pictured "luggage look" case. I just don't know how securely the guns are held in place, internally, nor how tough the case is as a unit.

Last edited:
Don't know all the Pelican models but the single gun, take down length Pelican I use does have wheels.
They have revamped their line. Also, I need to put two take down rifles in the case.

View attachment 386515
I love that luggage. I’ve never bought it because they get dented and scratched up. How do you deal with that? Is it not that bad? How many trips?

I love that luggage. I’ve never bought it because they get dented and scratched up. How do you deal with that? Is it not that bad? How many trips?

I have no complaints after about a dozen international trips. There are scuff marks of course in the corners where the wheel guard is, but I am not bothered by it. I do have the aluminum ones though not the more plasticly ones. My girlfriend also has the carry on version as well and loves it.

I bought the deeper trunk version for me in order to be able to put a handgun case or an ammo case without an issue.

for anyone planning to purchase a pelican case they offer a veteran discount through expert voice

I have several Americases. They’ve been all over the place. I bought the first one in the late 80’s and it’s still going strong.
I hope they haven’t abandoned the Hunter and firearms industry. I just emailed them and inquired.

I have several Americases. They’ve been all over the place. I bought the first one in the late 80’s and it’s still going strong.
I hope they haven’t abandoned the Hunter and firearms industry. I just emailed them and inquired.
Would like to know myself

If you look at African Sporting Creations website you will know that they are no longer for sale. They used to carry it and now no longer do. I personally spoke to Americase last Monday.

Last edited:
Decision made. I went ahead and bid and won the Americase that was on ebay.

At least from the pics it looked hardly used. The caveat is no keys on the two outside locks, but that can be addressed easily. If I hate it I can ebay it again as now it is no longer a retail sellable item.

I have no complaints after about a dozen international trips. There are scuff marks of course in the corners where the wheel guard is, but I am not bothered by it. I do have the aluminum ones though not the more plasticly ones. My girlfriend also has the carry on version as well and loves it.

I bought the deeper trunk version for me in order to be able to put a handgun case or an ammo case without an issue.
Thanks for the insight. I like shopping for luggage when I am traveling but I never buy anything! If you travel enough you will see every kind of luggage in airport shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you