Website
ss.globalrescue.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Grand Slam Club/Ovis
tired-man-at-work.jpg

When was the last time you used all your paid time off? Have you always used all your paid vacation days and paid holidays? If you are an American, chances are 50/50 it was far too long ago, if ever. 

Americans’ vacations have drawn a lot of attention in the past few years for one simple reason: Americans are not taking vacations.

The “No-Vacation Nation”

Back in 2019, before the pandemic, The Center for Economic Policy and Research (CEPR) analyzed paid vacations in America compared to many countries in the rest of the world. Their conclusion? 

There was “a significant disparity between the United States and the rest of the world’s rich countries. The United States is the only advanced economy that does not mandate any paid vacation time for workers, and it is one of the only countries that does not require employers to offer at least some paid holidays.”

As a result, one in four working Americans does not receive any time off, the study reported.

Yet even when Americans do receive vacation, they find it difficult to take all the time off. According to a study by the U.S. Travel Association, more than half of Americans did not use all their time off in 2019, resulting in 768 million days left unused—236 million of those days could not be rolled over to the next year. 

Why?

Why would Americans leave vacation unused? A study by the Journal of Occupational Health Psychology showed that Americans who struggle to take time off, often do so because they have trouble disconnecting from work, don’t think the vacation will go well, and anticipate being stressed from things like finances.

According to the USTA’s study, 80 percent of Americans thought it was important to travel during their time off but don’t for similar reasons: too hard to get away from work, financial stress, and frustrations around air travel. 

Has the Pandemic Changed Anything?

A lot has happened in the world since CEPR’s study in 2019. Most notably, the pandemic changed the way many in the world work: offline to online, in the office to working from home. 

man-looking-outside-of-office-window-300x199.jpg

Has this improved our ability to take a vacation?

“In many ways, yes,” says Global Rescue’s Stephanie Diamond, vice president of human capital management. “All of a sudden, people were spending more time with their families and being reminded of what is most important in life. And with the increase of remote work, people felt they could travel more often.”

Indeed, since the pandemic, there has been a significant rise in bleisure travel, and many employers offer it as a benefit to attract new hires. 

Yet, for some, the rise of remote work has blurred the lines between work and time off more than ever. 

Ed Zitron shared in The Atlantic about his struggles detaching from work, before and during the pandemic. As the CEO of the technology public relations firm, EZPR, and the author of the tech and culture newsletter, Where’s Your Ed At, the responsibilities felt too overwhelming to escape. Yet, his experience contracting COVID-19 showed him that working from home had become a “productivity trap” that he needed to address, for himself and his employees.

“I’m slowly learning that a few hours, or a day, or even a week away won’t bring the world to an end and that those emails will be waiting for me when I’m done relaxing,” he writes.

Diamond agrees that the practice of taking time off is something that must be learned in American culture. 

“Because it’s not in our country’s culture, it is certainly a shift for employers and employees,” Diamond says. “Leaders almost have to tell people how to unplug, and then employees have to take responsibility for doing so.”

be sure to take your next paid vacation in South Africa, there is a great place called "Tallyho" they will look after you real good. and take all your stress away
send u home refreshed and ready for work

contact us soon

Most companies in the USA have 5 days of PTO after the first year of service and 10 days per year after the second year of service…. That’s 10 days per year for all religious holidays, funerals and vacations…..

and if you do not use them you lose them!

In the USA people like to use their vacations sparingly or a day here and another day there for whatever reason. For salaried employees, I offer a 50% extra paid time off if they take at least two weeks at one time as I believe people need to decompress and rejuvenate. Surprisingly less than half of my employees take my offer.

Slowly and surely we were slipping backwards 100 years for worker rights and along came covid. It came at a critical time and it will have lasting effects, some good some bad; mostly good.

The time for the 32 hour week is now. Research backs it up. The time for mandatory vacation is long overdue.

The only thing holding us back is the 2 party political system

I've got 5 weeks of vacation, not counting any holidays, I will enjoy every single day away from the office. Hard to imagine not taking time off. I strongly agree with @WAB on taking 2 weeks straight off work! Better vacations certainly

I've got 5 weeks of vacation, not counting any holidays, I will enjoy every single day away from the office. Hard to imagine not taking time off. I strongly agree with @WAB on taking 2 weeks straight off work! Better vacations certainly
Speaking of @WAB , was only I believe two years ago that he retired three times in one year and each time went on safari !!!. Talking about jealousy !!!

My apologies, meant to to credit @Tanks with this thought in my post.

Slowly and surely we were slipping backwards 100 years for worker rights and along came covid. It came at a critical time and it will have lasting effects, some good some bad; mostly good.

The time for the 32 hour week is now. Research backs it up. The time for mandatory vacation is long overdue.

Wow. You’re full of great ideas…
I’m guessing a 1 party system would suit you better?

Vacation time? You mean hunting time right? I don’t know about my fellow Americans but first thing i do when vacation time refreshes is block out the first week of deer season.

From where I sit, I believe our government is entirely inept at regulating the workplace. I deal with the labyrinth that is the FMLA all the time. It’s a law developed by people who’ve never made a payroll, hired a person, or even stepped foot in a for-profit enterprise! Spare me from any mandates on work week length, vacation time, minimum wages, etc. People willing to work are hard to find so they have lots of options.…and power. Their demands for compensation and for time off will determine what employers offer, far more effectively than any labor law. Look what has happened with work at home. Before COVID only 20% of the people at my company worked from home. Today it’s 90%. Even after the pandemic was over, people wanted WAH jobs, so we, like most employers allow it. If we didn’t we’d have a LOT of unfilled job reqs!

I try to use my vacation time but I get called non stop. Africa is a blessing because I am usually out of cell phone range.

I have also found the mess waiting for me when I get back usually undos my vacation time pretty quick. I took a week off once and when I came back another VP made a decision that cost us about 1.2 million. Now everyone just waits till I get back.

I do have one client that gets it, when I drew my SD buffalo tag, my client told my team that if anyone calls me during my time off they would be removed from the contract, if they needed me to answer, let him know and he could wait.

As I get older I definitely enjoy the down time more and more.

I try to use my vacation time but I get called non stop. Africa is a blessing because I am usually out of cell phone range.

I have also found the mess waiting for me when I get back usually undos my vacation time pretty quick. I took a week off once and when I came back another VP made a decision that cost us about 1.2 million. Now everyone just waits till I get back.

I do have one client that gets it, when I drew my SD buffalo tag, my client told my team that if anyone calls me during my time off they would be removed from the contract, if they needed me to answer, let him know and he could wait.

As I get older I definitely enjoy the down time more and more.
That is pretty amazing to hear from your client.

My clients as well, know not to contact me (with unimportant stuff) during my time off. Last summer I had one who went on a 10min tirade, cussing out my colleagues for disturbing during my holiday.

Most of the time I'll be out of cell range anyway. The return after a holiday is harsh though, with an average of 300 mails per day, out of which 100 I'll need to read cursory, and 25 that I'll need to reply to, it adds up quickly after 2 or 3 weeks.

I couldn’t imagine not using vacation time if available. I use to be prevented from taking it working out of country but the hours were always bought out at the end of the year. If I was to look for a new job, I’d take more vacation and less pay over increased pay with less vacation days. One of the biggest reasons I stay at my current job is the ability to take unpaid days off nearly anytime.

I couldn’t imagine not using vacation time if available. I use to be prevented from taking it working out of country but the hours were always bought out at the end of the year. If I was to look for a new job, I’d take more vacation and less pay over increased pay with less vacation days. One of the biggest reasons I stay at my current job is the ability to take unpaid days off nearly anytime.
I've never managed to use all my yearly vacation time. Too much work to allow me to be away for too long and too little money to allow me to do the things I really want to do during my days off.

I've never managed to use all my yearly vacation time. Too much work to allow me to be away for too long and too little money to allow me to do the things I really want to do during my days off.
That’s really unfortunate, but sadly probably not uncommon. I’m glad I made decision I did to take my current job. The amount of flexibility I have is worth more than what they pay me.

I'm an employed surgeon. 7 weeks vacation, none of it paid. Many of my partners don't take it all due to the golden handcuff effect. They can't see past the lost revenue and that drives them to keep churning. I take every last day and can't imagine it any other way. If they offered me to work half time for half pay I'd jump on that tomorrow.

Back when I was working I fought for years to get my vacation time when I wanted it. There were times that management tried to block certain weeks of the year citing that those weeks were the heavy workload times from years past. I fought those policies and proved to them that anytime that I took time off they had a heavy workload just because I was off.

One year I told a upper manager that I would happily take my time off nonpaid if I could take it when I wanted it, that manager almost fainted when I told him that.

Let's fast forward to a 32 hour work week, how do you get 40 hours of work done in 32 hours? Do they hire more workers? I doubt it, it has been proven that it is cheaper to pay each person 8 hours of OT than to hire more help, so there goes that 32 hour workweek. At least it was in the tech field that I worked in.

Let's fast forward to a 32 hour work week, how do you get 40 hours of work done in 32 hours?

We don't get 40 hours of work done anyway. We sit in the office for 8 hours mindlessly playing on our phone or shopping on Amazon on work computers for half of it...or at least just staring at the screen daydreaming. Management believes in 40 hours because that's just what is engrained in the workforce for decades.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.