American woman killed in lion attack at lion park near Johannesburg

This is from 1975..... History repeating itself.

Truly horrible video. I ve seen that before. Disturbing to say the least. Do people really believe these lions are tame? Shame his family had to witness that.

US woman dragged to death by a lion and other person seriously hurt
By James Dunn For Mailonline and Jane Flanagan In Cape Town
  • The tourist was dragged out of the window at Gauteng Lion Park near Johannesburg
  • The injured man was reportedly a local tour guide who tried to save the young woman
  • It's the third big cat attack at the safari park in four months
  • The park said they tell visitors to keep windows closed but are ignored
Published: 10:07 EST, 1 June 2015 | Updated: 01:20 EST, 2 June 2015

A 22-year-old American woman has been mauled to death and another person seriously injured after being pulled through their car window by a lion in a safari park in South Africa.

The tourist and her companion, thought to be a South African tour guide, were taking a 'routine' drive through the 20-acre compound containing about a dozen big cats near Johannesburg.

Gauteng Lion Park employee Scott Simpson, 28, told Daily Mail Online: 'The lion approached from the left of the vehicle, the passenger side and walked quite close to the car.

'The witnesses said they saw the guests taking pictures of the lion from a meter away, then the lion lunged at the car and bit the lady through the window.'

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

A 22-year-old American woman died after being dragged out of her SUV (pictured) while on safari on Monday in Gauteng Lion Park near Johannesburg, South Africa

A police van arrives at the Lion Park where an American tourist was killed by a lioness on June 1

Yellow police tape was put around the SUV where the young American tourist was mauled to death by a lion

Mr Simpson said park staff rushed to pull the lioness off the young woman and carried out CPR. Paramedics were called but could do nothing to save her.

'When the paramedics were treating the lady she unfortunately passed away,' he said.

He has been working for less than a year at the Park, which is an hour from Johannesburg.

It's the third big cat attack at the park in just four months.

Police confirmed that the tourist was 22 years old and an American citizen.

The U.S. Embassy confirmed a U.S. citizen had been killed but were revealing no further details, only that they were providing consular services.

The lioness responsible for the attack has been identified and is being kept alone in a separate enclosure.

There were no plans to destroy the animal.

The woman was dragged out the window of the vehicle. Visitors to the park are strongly advised by staff to keep the windows closed (another van of tourists is pictured, not involved in the incident)

A rare white lion peers at a vehicle at the Lions Park near Johannesburg. The American woman's death was the third big cat attack in four months

In March, an Australian tourist was injured by a lioness after going on safari with his car windows open.

Brendan Smith, from Perth, was left with deep flesh wounds after the big cat pounced through the window and bit his leg.

Smith posted pictures of his injuries on Facebook which happened after he'd only been in South Africa for 36 hours.

Two days later, a 13-year-old from a nearby slum was attacked by a cheetah while riding a bicycle through the grounds.

In December 2013, a former South African franchise rugby player Brett Tucker and his family were attacked by a lion at the same park. Tucker's father reportedly suffered minor injuries.

Warning: The manager of the lion park said he doesn't understand why people leave their windows open despite warnings dotted around the compound (pictured)

Park employees said that their repeated warnings about the big cats were ignored by tourists trying to get better pictures on safari

The park has more than 85 lions, including rare white lions, and a variety of other animals, including giraffes and ostriches.

According to its website, Lion Park guarantees 'super close-up animal views' but it does order visitors to keep their car windows shut.

The park has previously come under fire for allowing visitors to pet lion cubs. It was also accused of breeding lions for 'canned hunting', a charge that the park has refuted.

The park offers tented accommodation and also hosts children's birthday parties.

A visitor to the Lion Park last year uploaded a video to YouTube of a lion opening a car door.

Employee Mr Simpson said visitors to the park were warned not to leave their windows open to avoid attacks.

He told ENCA: 'We make it so clear. We put signage up everywhere that people must keep their windows closed.

'We hand them a slip of paper when they enter the park, I really don't understand why people think its okay to leave windows open.

He added that the park takes safety seriously.

'We have signage up everywhere informing people to keep their windows closed. We hand out flyers as they are driving in reminding them to keep their windows closed. We really do everything we can to make sure that people know that,' he added.

The park boasts 'guaranteed super-close up views' of the animals on its website.

Lucky escape: Australian tourist Brendan Smith, from Perth, was left with deep flesh wounds after a lion pounced through the window and bit his leg at Gauteng Lion Park in March

Brendan Smith, from Perth in Australia (pictured with an unidentified friend) had only been in South Africa for 36 hours when he was bitten by a lioness after leaving his window open on a safari

It's been visited by celebrities including R'n'B singer John Legend and pop star Shakira in the past.

Lion attacks have been known to happen in the past.

In 2011, Ranesh Rajkaran, 28, blocked a lioness from getting into his car with his arm and was bitten but fortunately he only suffered scratches.

He and his wife, Somashnie, who was pregnant, had been celebrating their second wedding anniversary at the park and had food inside the car.

Rajkaran said he opened the windows a little due to the sweltering heat but didn't expect a lioness to shove her paw through the gap.

'I think she must have smelled the food in the car or maybe she just wanted to play,' he said.

In December 2013, former league rugby player Brett Tucker and his family were attacked by a lion at Gauteng Lion Park.

Tucker had his daughter on his lap at the time when a lion put its paw through the window but her grandfather acted quickly and threw her in the backseat.

Tucker's father suffered minor injuries to the shoulder after he tried to roll his window up, but accidentally rolled it further down.

Pop star Shakira pictured playing with a lion cub at Gauteng Lion Park near Johannesburg, South Africa

John Legend and his model wife Chrissy Teigen have also visited the park which is popular with tourists

The deadly attack happened in Gauteng Lion Park, around an hour outside of Johannesburg in South Africa

It seems many have a hard time following the warnings they see on the signs. Maybe people might get the idea of the dangers, if they are required to watch that 1975 video of the man getting mauled and look at the pictures of the previous lion attacks.

That 1975 video is just plain ugly.

They do believe they are tame. The antis have convinced these people that we are killing these poor defenseless kitty cats. Well this is proof people. They are always wild animals, killers.

So sorry for the family. This would be something hard to get over.

That 1975 video is probably one of the most disturbing things I have seen.

Sad! I grew up next to a roadside private zoo In Hephzibah Georgia In The 1960s and 70s. I helped out as a teenager using a hose to spray out cages every afternoon. I knew not to get close to the cage sides which is where feeding took place. To teach me the power of a lion one of the owners son had me help put a calf near the cage. We actually heaved the dead calf by swinging it back and forth then releasing it so that it would fall next to the enclosure. The space at the bottom Of the cage side that was open measured about eight inches in height. The calf bloated from being dead a couple of days measured about 18 inches in height. With one powerful pull the male lion pulled that animal into his cage fir his lunch. To this day I can remember the sound of the ribs breaking on that calf. The son said to me "did you see that"? Never think for one minute that the lion in there is tame and your friend because he will pull you through that gap just as fast as he did the calf and you will be lunch!
The rule was never walk beside the cage only in front or behind it. Signs were posted all over the place.....yet every afternoon I would chase some idiot away from the area with his camera. People think rules do not apply to them. They are ignorant of what animals can do if put in the right circumstance.
It is sad that this woman lost her life! But I bet she thought the rules did not apply to her.

Helping to conserve wildlife.....

At least the lion is not being blamed for being a lion.

So, a question, when this anti-poaching organization recruits well intentioned but naive urbanites from north america, do they do anything to educate the unwary? I recognize the stupidity of ignoring the warnings and she had to know big cats can kill. I also bet she had no real understanding of these creatures such as how fast they can close the distance, or how their intentions can change. She was obviously accomplished in her own field. But, the environment she was in was as far from Kansas as Dorothy could be. Seems to me her hosts have not done their part either.

Sad and I feel for the family. But I just don't understand what a young girl would be doing here to help anti-poaching. I would be interested to know if it was money out her own pocket or some NGO?

I am sure @BRICKBURN could quickly dig up the facts.

Sad and I feel for the family. But I just don't understand what a young girl would be doing here to help anti-poaching. I would be interested to know if it was money out her own pocket or some NGO?

yup same here for the family. same as simon i am wondering what qualification being a visual effects editor gives you, to let some organisation get her out to help in that field, as she obviously unfortunately had no idea of wildlife.........

You guys with hunting operations just don't get the opportunity that is being missed here:
You get people to pay you to volunteer their work for you.

Gap year, work break, +50, etc etc. Whatever group has some money to part with that would like to come a sweep out the breeding pen to "save" the whatever.

Do a simple google search: Conservation volunteer South Africa.

Tons of these places. So, it is not a real mystery how a bright eyed, naive, young people show up.

The typical bill of goods sold.
Do you think the sentences marked in red might contribute to the problem?! o_O

"Big Cats, Tours and Volunteering Opportunities at Cheetah Experience!

Our Mission: Passionate, driven conservation efforts to save endangered species through captive breeding and awareness.

Volunteer Jobs Available!
On a Gap year or holiday? Looking for volunteer opportunities with big cats? Want to play a part in saving endangered wild animals in South Africa? Whatever your skills and however much time you have to offer, animal volunteering is a real 'hands-on' experience, helping to save them from extinction. Come and spend an unforgettable time volunteering at our conservation centre!

Volunteer Work
Cheetah Experience is a breeding project for endangered cat species such as cheetahs, servals, and leopards, but we are also home to lions, wolves, caracals, meerkats, and some antelope.

You do not need any previous experience in working with wild animals, but as we try to educate the public during our guided tours you need to have good social skills and speak basic English.

We have a curio shop where we sign guests in for tours and also sell drinks, sweets, and souvenirs. This shop needs to be manned by volunteers during tour times.

Our animal enclosures are cleaned daily; maintenance, upgrading, and repairing thereof also take place on a regular basis. And between lending a hand to the cutting of raw meat (to be fed to the larger animals) and cleaning food bowls, you'll never be bored! We do promise you, though, that there will be plenty of down-time to spend with the animals as well.

Volunteers are expected to contribute to the blog daily. There is never a dull moment and there is always something with which you will be able to assist. Most of your work will involve a direct hands-on approach. You will gain skills and knowledge that are priceless. You will form bonds of understanding, love, and trust between you and the animals while interacting with people from all walks of life.

After your time spent here, you will be a changed person for the better.

You will be allowed one day off every second week (Tuesday—Friday) that you can use to go shopping at the mall or sightseeing, or just to sleep late, swim in the pool, and spend the rest of the day snoozing with the animals!"

That's unbelievable. Come pay to work for us doing crap jobs nobody wants. We'll give you one day off every two weeks and when you have timd off you can view the animals in cages. Sign me up!!!!!

You did forget to highlight "you'll never be bored" which means they are going to work you like a dog!

We went to a similar place in the Eastern Cape. There you need to pay to volunteer but seem more realistic: http://daniellcheetahproject.com/volunteer/

The tour guides there do work for tips and I must say the girl that showed us around really enjoyed her job. She didn't seem like much of a greenie. Of coarse she probably saw I had my "Tootabi Hunting Safaris" hat on so she could have been making sure she got that tip in the end!

Last edited:
That 1975 video made the rounds here some time back and I seem to recall that some opined that it was faked. Was there ever a definitive answer on that? It looks real to me, and hard to watch.

That 1975 video made the rounds here some time back and I seem to recall that some opined that it was faked. Was there ever a definitive answer on that? It looks real to me, and hard to watch.

Looks real enough to me.

It's definitely real, I saw it with the original sounds, the screaming kids and wife was just terrible to hear.

Sad to hear it. Not a very good way to leave this life. Just because an animal may appear docile, doesn't mean bad things can't happen in a hurry.

Here in the States, 2 people have been seriously injured in the last 3 weeks by Buffalo in Yellowstone National Park. The last victim from Australia, walked within 5 feet of the Bull and was taking pictures with his tablet when the bull charged.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WaylonTova

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!