Member of
Ducks Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA, Mexico, RSA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.04.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-02 at 9.04.57 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 678
Some guy at my rifle club this Saturday (UK) was talking about it and was outraged even though I tried to explain that there is no 'rare species of black giraffe'. Once a mind is closed there is no opening it up to logical discussions about conservation through hunting etc

Once a mind is closed there is no opening it up to logical discussions about conservation through hunting etc

Isn't that the truth!!!

Idiots, all of them! In the comments one of the loving antis put she should be put in the lions den and served up as food, no animal should be hunted.
Surprised the ACLU hasn’t got involved being it’s a black giraffe!

Idiots, all of them! In the comments one of the loving antis put she should be put in the lions den and served up as food, no animal should be hunted.
Surprised the ACLU hasn’t got involved being it’s a black giraffe!

A BLACK giraffe from Africa. Probably discriminated against by its white giraffe neighbors.

Lol

The person posting the photo on facebook called it a rare black giraffe. That was incorrect and really just plain stupid. Then the anti's took it and ran with the mis-information blowing it up even more since it now fits their agenda quite well. Much(if not all) of this could have been avoided had the hunter correctly posted the information with the photo. Maybe even said it was an old giraffe that was near the end of its life and that is the reason they turn black.

Sorry people but I put most(if not all) the blame on the poster for starting this with incorrect information and wording on the post in facebook

Very true..... However, a 60"+ kudu is rare also. To you point though, yes.... could have chosen better description, or not post at all. Any & all of it is fodder for the Anti's.

Welp, I'm going to try for one of these next year but please be assured it won't be going on twitter, facebook, youtube or any other site. Not that I'm scared of the antis, nor ashamed in any way to be a hunter, it's just I don't have much interest in other peoples views towards what I do. I'll share it with some friends, hopefully use it to educate some family and that's about it.

Very true..... However, a 60"+ kudu is rare also. To you point though, yes.... could have chosen better description, or not post at all. Any & all of it is fodder for the Anti's.

Yep a better description and no anti up roar!

Reactions: BWH
"Prominent activist and Hollywood actor Ricky Gervais, ( WHO IS THIS, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS PERSON, MALE OR FEMALE ? ) on the same day Talley’s images went viral, tweeted that “Giraffes are now on the 'red list' of endangerment due to a 40% decline over the last 25 years. They could become extinct. Gone forever. And still, we allow spoilt c--ts to pay money to shoot them with a bow and arrow for fun.”

"HEY RICKY "
SHE USED A RIFLE, IT'S IN THE PHOTOS WITH HER,

RICKY, I CAN TRY AND EDUCATE YOU ON THE DIFFERENCE OF THE TWO IF YOU WOULD LIKE. HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A BOW OR RIFLE ( I TYPED THIS IN CAPITAL LETTERS AND REAL SLOW SO YOU CAN HOPEFULLY BE ABLE TO READ AND UNDERSTAND IT)

OR MAYBE SHE USED ONE OF THOSE BLACK FULLY AUTOMATIC ASSAULT BOWS "NOW THERE'S YOUR REAL STORY"

It'S AN OLD DARK STINK BULL ,WE HAVE SHOT A COUPLE OF THEM IN ZIMBABWE , NO STORY HERE .

The sad thing is and most hunters that have a social media account should know that if you post the picture of any animal that you shoot you are going to suffer through all the backlash. It doesn't matter if it is a rare endangered animal or a mouse that you caught in a trap last night under your sink.

So unfortunate to see a young lady attacked in this way.

The conservation argument doesn't work with these people. I think we need to start and end with the moral argument. There are human beings, and there are animals. They are not now, nor have they ever been, on the same moral plane. Human beings have a moral right to kill animals, provided the killing is otherwise legal and humane.

I think that's where I'm going to leave this discussion with anti-hunters in the future. You may not agree with my moral position, but it's mine, it's honestly held, and it has two millennia, at least, of religious, moral, philosophical and ethical support behind it. And yours?

End of story.

i congratulate the huntress,that was an old,old giraffe,mine was aged at 28 years old and was quite dark but not like hers.two years later we saw a black bull that was beautiful and still active,my bull was past the breeding ability but was still kicking ass and wouldnt let the younger bulls breed so the land owner wanted him taken out of the gene pool.i was happy to oblige.that was in 2005,to this day he is still the star of the show in our african room.

The sad thing is and most hunters that have a social media account should know that if you post the picture of any animal that you shoot you are going to suffer through all the backlash. It doesn't matter if it is a rare endangered animal or a mouse that you caught in a trap last night under your sink.

I'll go a bit further, and surely step on a few toes here, to say that I simply do not see the attraction to social media sites such as Facebook. Why the need to say "I have a new car", "Lookee what I'm having for supper" or "wanna see my dirty skivvies", let alone to post sport hunting stories and photos.

It is unfortunate that the young lady was attacked but she must have anticipated the barrage of criticism coming her way if she posted a hunting photo for the entire world to see. AH is a common interest group site so I can understand wanting to post hunting stories and photos here. But Facebook?

Yes, I am old and out of touch.

I use a trophy photo as my pic on Facebook. I have used deer, elk, bear, warthog, kudu, hartebeest. I have never gotten any negative attention. But I have not taken any “endangered” animals so...

I would wager anyone who would be offended that I friends with would unfollow rather than cause a stink. Hell all the lines probably already have.

With all of the legalities regarding hate crime nowadays I wonder if Tess Talley has recourse to take legal action against Africa Digest?
If it's a crime to incite hatred towards minority groups, surely posting her photo and name and encouraging others to share it and therefore incur messages of hate towards her falls into this bracket.
It just shows what a bloody awful society we live in today where if you are doing something perfectly legal, other folk seem to have the right to spew their bile towards you just because they disagree.

This is one of the many reasons why i don't have facebook. I really think something has been lost in the last decade or two where the emphasis of huntint has moved to simply the kill and self promotion. I know guys that if facebook shutdown tomorrow would give up hunting as they'd no longer get the attention they're craving but that's another topic. Like it or hate it a lot of the heat hunters face these days is brought upon ourselves.

Like someone here has said a special interest group like this forum is a relatively safe place but most social media is on a knifes edge as to whether things go sideways. The whole cecil the lion crap had importing lions banned in Australia pretty much by itself. The same anti hunting politician (ironically named greg hunt) admitted he hated hunting and wanted to see all trophy imports banned to our country. So I always feel like we're one idiot big noting themselves with a dead animal away from having everything closed down in this nanny state.

I hunt for myself, i need no pat on the back nor admiration to give weight to my sense of accomplishment. I will share some photos here but would never again be so foolish to put them in plain view of most people who don't want to understand. We simply can't afford the arrogant stance of "it's legal and I'm proud so why hide it" otherwise we'll stubborn ourselves out of existence. We don't have to hide we just need to be smart.

I'll go a bit further, and surely step on a few toes here, to say that I simply do not see the attraction to social media sites such as Facebook. Why the need to say "I have a new car", "Lookee what I'm having for supper" or "wanna see my dirty skivvies", let alone to post sport hunting stories and photos.

It is unfortunate that the young lady was attacked but she must have anticipated the barrage of criticism coming her way if she posted a hunting photo for the entire world to see. AH is a common interest group site so I can understand wanting to post hunting stories and photos here. But Facebook?

Yes, I am old and out of touch.
im older than dirt.one step past the rotary phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg