American hunter black giraffe hunt

Ok.... here’s something for us to think about. Many/most of “us”.... albeit the AH’ers or other “social media” outlets have unrecognizable handles. Others like it or not have our full name out there. Should there be some securities in place that only vetted members can see things vs. any google search to unleash the wrath of Cecil the lion or Mr. Black Giraffes keyboard warriors? To protect our livelihoods, families, etc..... sounds dramatic.... however, if we asked Tessa & the Dentist, they would differ.

The only attraction of Facebook to me, is that it allows me to stay in touch with family and friends that are far away.

Yeah... I hear you. However, with text, WhatsApp, etc.... you can do that. Much more privately.

I'm not giving up on anything nor am I suggesting anyone does. But banging your head against a wall doesn't help. There are certainly better ways to help people understand the hunters point of view than others... whatever they may be

My biggest issue is not with the idiots because I can deal with them, my issue is with facebook itself. They have stacked the deck against hunters by warning us not to post pictures but do absolutely nothing when we are threatened, cursed or even wishing our families dead. If they would treat all posters the same it might be worth joining.

Fortunately I am not in a position to have to worry about my livelihood being impacted by anything I may post on Facebook. After the fiasco of Cecil the lion, and getting a multitude of threats and insults from 'Hunt the Hunters' I set my filters so that only friends and friends of friends can see my posts. I am hoping that showing photos of hunting and hunting related posts will help to educate those on the fence. But if I am wrong and I recieve insults etc. from them, it is an easy solution: de-friend them. 'Makes marking easy...' as an old friend used to say. As Popeye the Sailor used to say: "I yam what I yam..." If someone doesn't like it, they can just kiss my a_ _ . Oh yeah, I got myself one of those rare black giraffes just the other day. Photos to follow.

We are talking about one of these right?
20180615_013033.jpg

I hate all the backlash for the young lady, but in all seriousness, she brought this on her self. I too posted my hunt pictures on FB during my hunt. Mine is only seen by friends, but I am sure it can be shared to any and every one. To think that you can limit where these pictures go, and who sees them is naive. Yet, when I posted mine, I gave no thought to the same thing happening to me. Thankfully, no one in my circle of friends gave me any grief, but I am sure some would have liked to. I did have an Italian friend tell me that he did not like to hunt animals, though he sure did like to eat them. I think as long as we are not pompous or braggadocious in the way we present our hunting experiences, most people will accept it and go on. I probably won't stop posting about my hunting experiences, because I truly believe that what I am doing is morally, and ethically right. Not to mention good for Africa and it's people. Personally, I think it is really arrogant of the liberal greenpeace crowd to demand the end to sport hunting. Do they put the welfare of the animals over that of the humans who benefit from the meat generated from these hunts?

I hate all the backlash for the young lady, but in all seriousness, she brought this on her self... Personally, I think it is really arrogant of the liberal greenpeace crowd to demand the end to sport hunting. Do they put the welfare of the animals over that of the humans who benefit from the meat generated from these hunts?

I cannot agree on the sentiment in your first sentence. That really doesn't strike me much different than "If you weren't dressed that way, you would not have been raped." She committed no crime and we should not blame the victim. I was actually faced with people trying to rile up the troops over THIS giraffe "hunting" photo:
17884596_10212661833810244_4903842333740509183_n.jpg

They claimed I was teaching my daughter how to murder a giraffe with a bow. If you start blaming yourself for how zealots react, you will walk around on eggshells the rest of your life and find they then get mad at you walking on eggshells.

As for the animal rights people putting animals above people, the flat out do. Many of them actually think humans are a plague on the earth and the planet would be better off if we didn't exist. You cannot have rational discussions with people like that and certainly should not blame the victims of their hate.

Attachments

• 17884596_10212661833810244_4903842333740509183_n.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 172
Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot agree on the sentiment in your first sentence. That really doesn't strike me much different than "If you weren't dressed that way, you would not have been raped." She committed no crime and we should not blame the victim. I was actually faced with people trying to rile up the troops over THIS giraffe "hunting" photo:

They claimed I was teaching my daughter how to murder a giraffe with a bow. If you start blaming yourself for how zealots react, you will walk around on eggshells the rest of your life and find they then get mad at you walking on eggshells.

As for the animal rights people putting animals above people, the flat out do. Many of them actually think humans are a plague on the earth and the planet would be better off if we didn't exist. You cannot have rational discussions with people like that and certainly should not blame the victims of their hate.
I guess I was a little unclear. I don't think she was wrong, I simply meant that her actions IE posting the picture, was the reason anyone knew to begin with. If you read my post entirely, I am sympathetic, because I did the same thing she did. I was just not singled out for harassment. I am going to continue to post my pictures, ad could care less who says what. I believe fully that what we as a hunting community are doing is not only right and moral, but is good, and even necessary for management of a healthy animal population. But, I repeat myself. Mr. Poindexter, I fully agree with your thoughts! KUDOS!! on encouraging your daughter to pursue our great sport!! Do we get to read a hunting report from a family safari soon? Good for your daughter, and for yourself. The next generation of hunters will be much smaller if we do not do exactly what you are doing!

We all need to go on Twitter and Facebook and report in mass the tweets and posts attacking her. Especially the ones that are posting her information and are threatening violence.

Jeff, the daughter in the photo above is my middle daughter. She thinks animals are people. My oldest went on a hunt with me a year ago. I got a bison and a pig and she took two sheep. After that, she didn't want to hunt, but now she wants to film my hunts. I am thinking I will be taking her to Africa next year. I already have a sable hunt and they will let me get a matching deal for a second hunter. She cannot take a sable with a bow, but I can take her sable and she can hunt any animals she wants off the price list. (After deducting what her days fees would have been from the SCI show special package I got, it is like getting a second sable for $850 so I certainly wanted to get her in on the sable package when they told me I could shoot her sable!)

When the times comes, there will be a hunt report and I will have professional video of this hunt taken as well.

Some guy at my rifle club this Saturday (UK) was talking about it and was outraged even though I tried to explain that there is no 'rare species of black giraffe'. Once a mind is closed there is no opening it up to logical discussions about conservation through hunting etc

Agreed. I thought a black giraffe was a very old animal that is a walking lion bait!

Jeff, the daughter in the photo above is my middle daughter. She thinks animals are people. My oldest went on a hunt with me a year ago. I got a bison and a pig and she took two sheep. After that, she didn't want to hunt, but now she wants to film my hunts. I am thinking I will be taking her to Africa next year. I already have a sable hunt and they will let me get a matching deal for a second hunter. She cannot take a sable with a bow, but I can take her sable and she can hunt any animals she wants off the price list. (After deducting what her days fees would have been from the SCI show special package I got, it is like getting a second sable for $850 so I certainly wanted to get her in on the sable package when they told me I could shoot her sable!)

When the times comes, there will be a hunt report and I will have professional video of this hunt taken as well.
I am looking forward to the report!! I took my son hunting very early on, and he was turned off, and not a fan, to this day. I am sorry that he does not appreciate the sport, or the beauty of hunting, but I can't force him to love what I do. I do have two very tough young granddaughters, and a rough and tumble grandson coming up. I am hoping, just hoping that I can pass on my love of hunting to them. I would think that it would be easy, with my mounts in every room... As I grow older, I become more concerned about the future of conservation as the hunting public grows smaller and smaller. How do we pass on our love for this way of life in this era of save the whales, and Greenpeace? BY the way, I have scuba'd with the whales, dolphins, and turtles. Love them all, and was always happy that my diving activities helped support their conservation! I am truly hopeful that you are successful in passing on your love for the sport! Keep me informed with your successes!

no people,that includes them,right on.

the girl did great.

Perhaps this won't be the most popular opinion here, but I think a lot may share in my broader message.

I gave Dr. Palmer the benefit of the doubt in his fiasco. This lady here though is right up there with the Jimmy John's guy who laid naked spooning with a shark. All I needed to see was the pic of her pointing to the sky thanking the Lord for the giraffe she shot 30 minutes ago. That is an inappropriate picture to take and when she got home she liked it so much she shared it with everyone. Stupid behavior results in complete lack of credibility even if you present conservation facts.

Giraffe hunting is a controversial thing, even among hunters. With any hunt, take a couple good respectful pictures to keep and move on with your day. Hunters have the responsibility to present ourselves as people who respect animals. You are not going to sway anti-hunting activists, but you don't need to. All you have to do is not piss off the 90% of the population that has no strong opinion one way or the other.

inappropriate is your opinion, their like ass holes you know. why do you get to say what is appropriate. I dont see any
thing wrong with what she did or posted. If we dont stick together as hunters our sport is doomed

Perhaps this won't be the most popular opinion here, but I think a lot may share in my broader message.

I gave Dr. Palmer the benefit of the doubt in his fiasco. This lady here though is right up there with the Jimmy John's guy who laid naked spooning with a shark. All I needed to see was the pic of her pointing to the sky thanking the Lord for the giraffe she shot 30 minutes ago. That is an inappropriate picture to take and when she got home she liked it so much she shared it with everyone. Stupid behavior results in complete lack of credibility even if you present conservation facts.

Giraffe hunting is a controversial thing, even among hunters. With any hunt, take a couple good respectful pictures to keep and move on with your day. Hunters have the responsibility to present ourselves as people who respect animals. You are not going to sway anti-hunting activists, but you don't need to. All you have to do is not piss off the 90% of the population that has no strong opinion one way or the other.

So was this picture disrespectful? Sabrina Corgatelli received a lot of heat for it.
giraffe-nbc-news-today.jpg

This 12 year old girl doesn't look disrespectful of the giraffe but she still was getting death threats from this photo:
giraffe

I suppose if we just were more respectful to the Prophet Mohamed, we would not be attacked by terrorists, too...

Attachments

• giraffe-nbc-news-today.jpg
    giraffe-nbc-news-today.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 331
  • giraffe.jpg
    giraffe.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 313
Last edited by a moderator:
If we dont stick together as hunters our sport is doomed

A community has to know what their internal problems are and how widespread that opinion is. As they say in the customer service industry, for every 1 complaint there are 100 others thinking the same thing but just didn't say anything.

Purely subjective, but standing idly by watching our sport deteriorate in part because of some of our own people's actions is not an option. We can't stick together turning a blind eye to things that are harmful to our cause (again subjective). Doing so further compounds the fuel burning and causes innocent members more harm than they would receive otherwise.

A community has to know what their internal problems are and how widespread that opinion is. As they say in the customer service industry, for every 1 complaint there are 100 others thinking the same thing but just didn't say anything.

Purely subjective, but standing idly by watching our sport deteriorate in part because of some of our own people's actions is not an option. We can't stick together turning a blind eye to things that are harmful to our cause (again subjective). Doing so further compounds the fuel burning and causes innocent members more harm than they would receive otherwise.

Well I guess we will have to agree to disagree. That's what makes this country great! The left certainly
makes use of their first amendment right, and I will continue to practice mine!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg