American accidentally made perfect biltong on first try

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Apologies if this is not the right category for this topic. I've read all the various biltong recipes and tried it for the first time yesterday. I'm fussy, and I have to say I think I made 10/10 biltong by sheer luck on the first try, using North American Whitetail Deer no less!

Recipe:

About 8lbs of the "ham" back legs of whitetail deer. I used two buck hams. Once all muscle groups were disassembled and ALL fat and silver skin was removed, I was able to get about 5lbs of clean biltong strips that when raw measured about 3/4"x1.5"x8". Obviously, they varied by which muscle group it was, but that was the goal.

Take your 5lbs of clean, sliced venison. Make sure the meat grain is running long ways on these candy-bar-sized pieces of flesh.

Marinade: 10 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. 5 tablespoons coarse salt. 1.5 Tablespoons Worcestershire. 3 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper. 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes. 3 tablespoons brown sugar. 3 tablespoons coarse ground coriander seeds. (seeds ground, don't use coriander powder)

Prep: Soak the meat in vinegar to get it sticky, then lay the steaks in a Tupperware or other container, putting a light coat of the seasoning on the bottom of the dish before you lay out your first layer of meat. Sprinkle the seasoning on the meat, then layout another layer. Once fully laid out and seasoned, pour the liquid on top of all the meat. Let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours. DO NOT wash the meat to remove the vinegar. Put it in the dehydrator as-is.

Drying: I spent a lot of time researching food dehydrators. The 9 drawer Excaliber runs for about $300 and every hunter should own one. It works perfectly for biltong, but also for dried fruit, wild plums, wild mushrooms, and all the other things you ought to be picking up on your hunts anyway. Set it at its lowest temp setting, 95F/65C and let it run for 24 hours or until you like the consistency. At about 14 hours in I pulled a handful of the tiny pieces of biltong and cut them to verify they were dry. They were perfect. At 24-36 hours the bigger pieces will be done.

Slice them and serve. I like natural biltong in the state I call "day 2 or day 3" where you get a pink, soft middle, I believe I'll like the 24-hour drying technique best. You may prefer to go 36 or even 48 hours if you'd like to be dry as the sahara. (crazy, but some people do like it that way)

Removal of the "silver skin" is the trick. Not having it removed from the biltong I had in Africa is what kept me from eating more of it while I was there.

Sorry @BourbonTrail I only had a couple of tiny pieces ready by the 14 hour mark. The rest is done this evening. It was awesome. And when it dries, the amount of spice left stuck to the exterior of the biltong is perfect too.

This is the dryer I bought. I found it on Amazon for less, but at the time the factory had an off-season coupon code that brought it to around $300 delivered. We use it a ton for wild mushrooms. Every hunter needs to know and pick wild mushrooms. You dry them, and can easily rehydrate them for game cooking or they can be ground and added to awesome seasoning for steaks, roasts, and vegetables. Doing biltong was just a bonus. The reason this one is rated so highly is it has great air flow and it can be set to a very low temp where you want to dry foods rather than bake them. The cheapos make jerky, not biltong. (140F is not what you want)

IMG_5605.JPG

Haha well done, that plate looks just as full as my buddies is in SA after ANY Biltong is around, that & empty glasses of Brandy & Coke !

I really need to start doing this... With all the meat that will be coming my way in the future, making biltong will definitely be necessary. Just first need to buy a bigger house :D

Does anyone have experience making biltong out of wild boar? Or just the same procedure as @rookhawk described?

I really need to start doing this... With all the meat that will be coming my way in the future, making biltong will definitely be necessary. Just first need to buy a bigger house :D

Does anyone have experience making biltong out of wild boar? Or just the same procedure as @rookhawk described?

Hi @VertigoBE

I would be very, very careful about how you do wild boar biltong. The parasites in pork are problematic. I would suggest several hygiene steps on the journey. One, I would deep freeze it for several weeks at way below 0 celsius. I would then make the biltong on the firmer side using higher heat. I would suspect that 130 a core temperature to the meat of 130F after 24 hours or more in the dryer would kill every living thing safely.

Hi @VertigoBE

I would be very, very careful about how you do wild boar biltong. The parasites in pork are problematic. I would suggest several hygiene steps on the journey. One, I would deep freeze it for several weeks at way below 0 celsius. I would then make the biltong on the firmer side using higher heat. I would suspect that 130 a core temperature to the meat of 130F after 24 hours or more in the dryer would kill every living thing safely.
Thanks @rookhawk, Indeed that is part of why I was worried a bit. With biltong, it is usually okay if it is not hard cooked on the inside. With pork, this would not be a good idea...

I'll investigate a bit more on how to approach this. For the moment I'll have it made into ground pork, for bbq sausages and to make bolognaise sauce. Bought a big commercial grinder for that purpose.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the next batch @rookhawk!

Is biltong always cut larger than our American jerky?

That's the big difference between the two in my opinion. We cut it to eating size, usually with the grain, before it's flavored (spices, marinades, etc )and dried. Biltong is cut in larger pieces with the grain, flavored and dried first. Then it's cut into edible sized pieces, often quite thin across the grain. Flavoring is of course different, but that's a cultural thing and pretty wide degree of variation.

the dimensions are so that the middle stays medium rare. You don’t just bite into it, you cut small slivers of it against the grain when you’re serving it to guests. It doesn’t get stuck in your teeth.

Reactions: CJW
the dimensions are so that the middle stays medium rare. You don’t just bite into it, you cut small slivers of it against the grain when you’re serving it to guests. It doesn’t get stuck in your teeth.

I don't have any venison right now but I may have to find a good piece of beef to give it a shot. It looks delicious.

Well, I got a new toy today. Check out the Biltong cutter fellow Americans!

For a bit more than a $100, you can get this US-shipped biltong cutter from https://ayobafoods.com/

Cuts it thin beautifully and the blade has a cool pierced outline of the big-5 to admire.

IMG_5609.JPG

Hi @VertigoBE

To freeze, it needs to be well below 0º F, not just 32º F

Not sure an internal of 130º will do much to trichinella or tapeworms. Fortunately, trichinella and pork tapeworm have almost been completely eradicated in north america, except for the bears who are notorious carriers of trichinella.

144º F internal for about 5 or 10 minutes will kill trichinella, and 155 will kill them immediately.

To freeze, it needs to be well below 0º F, not just 32º F

Not sure an internal of 130º will do much to trichinella or tapeworms. Fortunately, trichinella and pork tapeworm have almost been completely eradicated in north america, except for the bears who are notorious carriers of trichinella.

144º F internal for about 5 or 10 minutes will kill trichinella, and 155 will kill them immediately.

that’s why I suggested 130F for 48 hour drying will probably achieve what 144F does in 10 minutes.

Just looked it up - an internal temp of 130º F for about 2 hours is sufficient to kill trichinellae worms.

Looks like the national average for feral hogs in the US runs about 3% rate of infection with trichinellae.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NinaStilwe

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross