Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Dear AH members,

not to take away from the recent thread on Building a tactical dangerous game rifle , but I believe there is perhaps a better direction to look in. Recently, looking through social media, a post and picture of a fine well built beautifully stocked rifle caught my eye (as happens quite often :D). What jumped out is that together with its more classical lines, it was using some modern upgrades.

On a recent podcast from The Big Game Hunting Blog, a Mr. Gearing from Spartan Precision Equipment, who produce those ultra light bipods that attach through a rare-earth metal magnet, also set me out to think. Especially their mount adapter that can be mounted fully flush in the stock.

Taking a modern CRF actioned rifle, giving it all the fine lines, angles and curves of a British best, but incorporating certain modern elements might be a winning ticket.

This is the rifle whose picture jumped out, produced by VO Vapen from Sweden I believe. It incorporates just such a spartan precision bipod. That also could work directly with a three-legged standing variant for upright standing shooting. And can just be unclipsed and put away in a coat if not necessary anymore. These mount adapters can also be mounted anywhere on the rifle for added flexibility, without impeding on the classical lines, when the bipod/shooting sticks would be removed.
1664920821139.png

It also incorporates quite well an adjustable cheekpiece, out of the same wood stock. Only two preset settings: flush for irons (that this one does not have) and up for the scope.

Another feature on a new best rifle I'd like to see, is a threaded barrel, most of the time just with a nicely engraved thread protector on it. But which would allow the addition of a suppressor in those localities or situations where they are mandatory or preferred. Not for a ghastly muzzle break, that's for sure.

A possibility to make it a switch-barrel might also make sense. Having a removable magazine, well attached to the rifle is also a comfortable feature that makes a lot of sense.

Yes a Blaser R8 has many of these features. But try as I might, it does not look as nice as a fine British bolt-action. Neither does it have that CRF, so revered by DG PH's. (whether this is truly a positive or not is not the point of this discussion, but I'm quite sure that if one could get for equal cost a CRF action instead of a PF, most everyone would take CRF anyway)

What modern features would you like to see added to a new production 'best' rifle? Keeping in mind that we strive to keep it as good looking as Monica Bellucci in a fitting dress.

Cheers,
V.

Another feature I thought about, but where we would need input from more knowledgeable members is reducing the bolt throw of a typical Mauser action, by I suppose more and smaller bolt lugs. This would allow for even lower mounting of optics, as the optic, the bolt knob and your hand would have less interference.

I believe James Purdey‘s recent reimagining of their traditional bolt action rifles had something very similar in mind.
Handled one in their London store that was chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum. Unfortunately, they will only use barrels with twist rates that can stabilize bullets 180Gr or under.

Last edited:
I believe James Purdey‘s recent reimagining of their traditional bolt action rifles had something very similar in mind.
Handled one in their London store that was chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum. Unfortunately, they will only use barrels with twist rates that can stabilize bullets 180Gr or under.

Excellent suggestion @Hunter-Habib this is indeed the direction I would be looking at. What would you have changed or added?

Excellent suggestion @Hunter-Habib this is indeed the direction I would be looking at. What would you have changed or added?
Thank you @VertigoBE . I would personally prefer a 1:10 twist, so that 220Gr bullets would stabilize properly. I’m a huge fan of 220Gr bullets in .30 cal rifles (like .30-06 Springfield, .300 Holland & Holland Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum), particularly because I’ve seen their effectiveness on game like Kudu and elk and (especially) eland.

I’d also personally prefer the magazine floor plate release catch to be OUTSIDE the trigger bow rather than INSIDE (like found on the Winchester Model 70 and the old BRNO ZKK600 series).

I also wouldn’t do away with iron sights completely. I understand that these rifles were made for the British deer stalking market in mind, who hunt on open terrain (like the highlands of Scottish estates, for example). So they have more use for the swing off scope mounts than open sights. But I hunt in some places where vegetation is rather dense. Shots present themselves quickly and at short ranges. The hunter would never have the time to take aim through a telescopic sight. More like snap the rifle up to your shoulder while flicking off the safety and bang. For this kind of shooting, you want wide V back sights and and uncovered ivory bead fore sight. Or something like a ghost ring sight. Something that helps your eyes find the target in the fraction of a second. The sights on my Churchill Gunmakers Model Deluxe 7x57mm Mauser (for instance) is far more suitable for the kind of terrain where I hunt.
083B5137-8766-4C22-BEB1-1CB0415303FD.jpeg

I also would have liked if they offered these rifles in .300 Holland & Holland Magnum. But they will only make the standard models in calibers up to .300 Winchester Magnum. Their Safari models are offered in .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, .416 Rigby, .458 Lott and .500 Jeffery.

Just personal preferences, though. James Purdey & Sons make exceptional wares for their intended market. Built on British CNC machined Mayfair Engineering Mauser actions.

Last edited:
@VertigoBE, a 54 deg bolt throw (like a Weatherby) would solve your issue. However, 9 lugs is a machinist/gunsmith’s nightmare (9 lugs to lap is 7 too many). Drop it to 3 larger lugs, and you may have something

Last edited:
Modern optics with classic styled housing would go a long way for making modern rifles more classic in appearance.

Other than that, I'd like to see more firearms like the Courtney stalking rifle, and a return to quality in manufacturing itself for some of the classic brands.

That is a very nice rifle you posted. Maybe something like that would bring the gun market back to wood stocks from the tacticool set.

The spartan bipod design is excellent. I use them on my R8. It is quick and easy to deploy. I keep it in my pocket. I hope that becomes the new normal. I have years of using Harris bipods, which are excellent for function, but add weight and make the rifle not balanced when carried over the shoulder.

the R8 really checks off these boxes, but does so without a wood stock. I find beautiful wood stocks nice to look at, but in use it is like wearing very nice shoes to a rodeo.

@VertigoBE, a 54 deg bolt throw (like a Weatherby) would solve your issue. However, 9 lugs is a machinist/gunsmith’s nightmare (9 lugs to lap is 7 too many). Drop it to 3 larger lugs, and you may have something
indeed, I just checked my Mauser M03, and it has 3 larger lugs, with only a 45-50 degree bolt throw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross