Alone or with a friend

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
Ive been wanting to hunt Afrika for 20+ years; but too many things got put first. Now Im finally ready and planning my first safari for 2012. A buddy at work has said he also wants to hunt Afrika. Hes retiring this year and we talked about going together in 2012. Hes a good friend with lots of hunting experience including Alaska. We're also going after Boar in November and we've talked about Deer and possibly Antelope as well.

Now that we are getting serious about booking the safari, we are noticing some different points of view. Id like to do a 10-14 day hunt and possibly include Leopard or Buff. He only wants to hunt PG; but was willing to tag along to video the rest.

As we look at the prices, Im starting to get the feeling hes not interested in a longer hunt. Hes talking more and more about a 7 day hunt with fewer animals. Hes concerned about costs since hes retiring. Ive already decided Im going for second safari in 2013-14, so eliminating the DG part of my hunt isnt sooooo bad; but Im reluctant to make it too short. I also dont want to cut back too far on the number of species I hunt.

Hes a good buddy and really the only hunting friend I have that would even consider Afrika or out west for Antelope. If I stick to 14days Im pretty sure he'll back out and Im not all that sure about 10days. I know the hunt and future "local" hunts will be more fun with company; but I dont want to rush my "first time" either.

Thoughts

It can be an advantage to have a PG hunter in camp whilst doing a cat hunt as you will appreciate the additional bait from the animals he takes.
I often go by myself but have done many trips with mates. Trick is to set your own scheduled and if he only wants to stay for a shorter period there should be no reason why he can't leave earlier.

Edelweiss

First to share a safari and PH between you are looking at saving a few dollars...that is not worth the trouble and having a side kick...you could do both the leopard and cape buffalo on a 14 to 16 day hunt...

You covered it all when you said DG for you and PG for him...i would go by myself and have the time of my life...take your wife (son or daughter) and do not look back..

I have been where you are at...

First thing is you need to have a beer glass of wine and sit down and really find out what he wants to do...animals and days and so on...it all has to be covered to be a successful venture or you will never speak to each other again...
1. Country
2. Days
3. Outfitter
4. PH
5. Trophy's
6. extra days to see the area ... shop...
7. Airline
8. time of year...
9. the list could go on...

if he is leaving this all to you i would sent him to a PH on AH to plan his own Safari...

You do not want to be on a long trip only to find out a traveling partner is out of money the day you left...and unable to pay for his way...been there done that 2 times never again...

I suppose this is a question for the PH; but maybe you guys can offer some suggestions. This is a good buddy and I think his biggest concern is out living his retirement money, so he doesnt want to dump alot of cash into a trip right after he retires.

IF we booked together is it possible that we could have separate PHs at the same camp/lodge location? AND/OR If I wanted a 10+ day hunt and he wanted a 7 day hunt, could my buddy stay on as a Non-Hunter for the extra days and come along on when I went to the bush? (If so would he be able to take a rifle "just in case"?)

Edelweiss

Your good traveling buddy...until this year i traveled with a retired individual and we went around the US shooting trap sharing expenses...he also watched his pennies and all trips had to fit into his schedule when we traveled together...so i know where you are coming with the money issue...If he is having issues with spending 10K not counting taxidermy work then this is probably not the trip for him. Air fare looking at 2K - PH - 2+K and 5 to 6K for animals and tips...to stay as an observer will add about $200 a day to the trip for him...

First question: on separate PH the answer could be yes you would have to find the right outfitter...i know that this is done you just have to find the right outfitter in the country you are looking to hunt.

Second question: I have also seen this done where one is on a 10 to 14 and the other is on a 7 day safari. Again you will have to discuss this with the outfitter and PH to make sure that they will do it.

Third question: The "just in Case" taking His Rifle along would indicate that he is hunting and will usually be charged accordingly...When his days of hunting are up rifle will go in the case for when he departs...

I suppose this is a question for the PH; but maybe you guys can offer some suggestions. This is a good buddy and I think his biggest concern is out living his retirement money, so he doesnt want to dump alot of cash into a trip right after he retires.

IF we booked together is it possible that we could have separate PHs at the same camp/lodge location? AND/OR If I wanted a 10+ day hunt and he wanted a 7 day hunt, could my buddy stay on as a Non-Hunter for the extra days and come along on when I went to the bush? (If so would he be able to take a rifle "just in case"?)

Yes, you can always split up the hunting. A few friends and I are discussing doing the very same thing. A couple of us are thinking DG (12-14 days) while one or two more are thinking of PG (7 days). Your trip should be much easier than ours because you are only dealing with two people, while my group is likely to be 5-6. Those of my group who is thinking of doing 7 days in the middle of our group will be making a decision to either come later, leave early, or being an observer during a portion of the safari.

Depending upon your PH/Outfitter, some will not charge you a hunting day if you are an observer for that day and you take an animal. But, that will be a discussion that needs to be discussed before signing the contract. I'd also recommend trying to get it in the contract.

Discussing the PG/DG hunt, I'd look at the Save Valley in Zim. All of the DG species will be available and several of the PG species.

However, you need to decide what type of PG trophies you want yourself. Don't plan on taking "lots" of PG trophies if after leopard. Leopard will be the main focus and you'll be spending several hours a day checking baits and getting baits.

Also, animals like oryx, springbok and hartebeest are not found in locations where DG hunting is conducted. It all depends upon what you want.

From the sounds of things, you are thinking about going back soon. I'd skip the DG on this trip and have fun with your buddy on a PG only trip. I'd try to talk him into 10 days, as 7 days go by really fast! Or, maybe he could be an observer for 3 of those days.

THere is always lots of options, but this is your trip too and you need to make yourself happy not just your buddy.

Good luck!

Also, I did my frist trip alone. Only myself and the PH in a tented camp. It was a blast, but I would have enjoyed a buddy in camp.

My last trip included 3 of us. We spent time around the fire at night sipping on sundowners discussing the day's events. I don't think I could go alone again having done both types of hunts.

Graybird,

That's exactly it!

Nobody you ever tell about your hunt will be able to understand the excitement you experienced, the atmosphere and the mood you were in... apart from the buddy you share all this with for the rest of your life.

Not to forget the fact that 1x1 hunting is quite more expensive than 2x1.
One hunter leaving early is only the second best option, but if that is the only way to find a compromise that fits both, it is by far better than going alone.

But, of course, you have to have an open word about what each one expects, the possible budget with all hidden costs and so on, to make your plans a success.

Just my 2 cents.

Graybird,

Not to forget the fact that 1x1 hunting is quite more expensive than 2x1.

Most outfitters seem to only deduct $50 per day per hunter for 2x1. Not a huge saving.

Well, but for somebody who has to have an eye on his money, that is about what you give for tips and little extras, right?
Or you could hunt another trophy for that....

2x1 has an advantage, as you enjoy the hunt twice, the animals you harvest, and your buddie s. Plus, you can photograph or videotape each other s kills.

Then, back home, you can brag about the whole thing in stereo
:laughing:

I always have hunted alone. You can really make the schedule work for you. That being said, there are a lot of advantages of hunting with a friend. Sharing the trip, the experiences, the luggage and there is usually a break in costs too.

I know I would like to take my wife to Africa...even if it costs a lot...just so she could see what I love so much.

I have hunted 1x1 and 2x1. I have enjoyed both, however, I would only hunt dangerous game 1x1 no matter who accompanied me. For plains game, I would hunt 2x1 if I were going with a family member or I were going with a very close friend whose enjoyment of the hunt was as important to me as mine was. An example of the latter was a hunt I took with a friend who was making his African hunt. It was my third hunt and had taken already taken all the species that we were hunting for consequently I was as invested in his enjoyment as in mine. For my first hunt I would definitely hunt 1x1 unless I were hunting with my Son/brother/Dad/daughter. 10 days is a good length for a first hunt, enough time to settle in and not feel rushed.

I've done both. Alone is fine if you know the ph well or are doing a DG game hunt. For a general plains game hunt, a buddy or family member is always fun! Plus, you have someone to share memories with.

Edelweiss, I just had a group of people (10) 6 non hunting stay with me at Leeukop Safaris in Pongola Kwazulu Natal, SA.

Some hunted 7 days some 10, some 12 days. While the non hunters were able to do game drives etc.
We hunted some of the same things, others added species.
your friend could stay after his hunt as an observer at a significantly reduced rate. You keep hunting.
They have you Buffalo there too.
We also pulled off a wedding just before the hunt and some fishing.

"taking a rifle along is hunting" at anyones place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross