Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Back in February I bought a hunt off a SCI action in Green Bay, WI. I was not there in person. I gave a personal friend permission to bid on the hunt. I set a value that I was willing to pay for the hunt and let him bid for me with the agreement I would pay for the hunt when I was off work. I was working every day at the time and didn't have time. I did some research into the hunt and was comfortable with the operation. Any way I was the winner of the auction.
I have been in contact with Tinus van der Mescht and we have been working the details of the hunt out. The original package includes: 7 days hunting, a kudu, bushbuck, eland and nyala. I have given my PH a list of animals I would be willing to hunt if they we can run across them. I did let him know, I just don't shoot to fill a tag. I want a good mature representative animal.
A few weeks ago a orbi tag came available and Tinus asked if I wanted it. I said why not, I'll be there lets add it on to the list. That way I can be one of the few people each year that hunt them in the South Africa.
Well we are almost down to 100 days to Africa time again! I had to wait to the end of August to hunt because of work. I had to build my vacation time up. I also wanted to hunt with a dark moon. I will now have a opportunity to hunt that time of the year.
I work practical every day, so I'm still deciding on guns right now. I keep going back and forth between my 270 Win with Barnes X bullets so I don't ruin capes and my 300 Win Mag Browning A bolt and my 7mm Rem Mag with Swift A Frame bullets. I might take 2 guns and hunt with the gun I feel appropriate for the situation at the time being. Other than the eland I would feel very comfortable with any of them. It's something about the size of an eland that scares me, I know a well placed shot with the 270 Win would most likely end his life just like it has for elk with that gun.
I have not made my mind up on taxidermy yet. Most likely a mix of Euro mounts and shoulder mounts of animals I don't have yet.

A few weeks ago a orbi tag came available and Tinus asked if I wanted it. I said why not, I'll be there lets add it on to the list.

Sweet!!!!

You'll enjoy the hunt by the ocean without a doubt.

I shot my Oribi with my .30/06 as I said to you in another thread. Their hair is somewhat hollow it seems. Man could I ever hear that thwack when the bullet hit. Shot a bit back though and didn't do any real damage, for what that is worth. Sample size of one....

It won't be the cheapest orbi hunt for sure, but it will be a great opportunity to see where they are hunted in South Africa. And when you compare an orbi hunt to antelope hunt out West, it's kind of comparable in cost for me. Plus I can't hunt orbi in the USA;).

I got to hand it Christophe offering these tempting hunts in Cameroon for orbi and other magnificent animals.:cool:

I can tell you the .375 250 grain TTSX was just enough for my Oribi.

As long as the shot is clear (no bush in the way) that 270 will do for the Eland, which you know.
It depends on how much luggage you want to haul along.

A spiral horn package. I wish you luck.

I know people don't like the old Barnes X bullets but I will tell you they are deadly accurate. I have shot 3 animals with one bullet each. A big whitetail, mule deer and a elk. And every one didn't take one step...dead right there.

Eric, I am partial to the Swift A Frame.

Eric you obviously put the round in the right place. That 300 would be hard to beat in my mind!

I sat & watched 7 Oribi from about 200 yards. There were 4 PHs present.... None had ever seen that many in one spot at same time.... No permit. So we just watched. That may be as close as I ever get to shooting one. :(

5 days to go! I started packing yesterday. I didn't have time to go to the range, so I decided to go with my 7 mm Rem Mag in Winchester Model 70 with Leupold scope. I used it in Africa last time with good results. I just don't have anywhere to go for sighting in a rifle, down here in Milwaukee, WI. If I wasn't hunting eland I would have went with 270 Win. I'll use my 160 grain Swift A-Frame bullets. They are little brutal on small game but that's what you get a good taxidermist.

I hope everything goes well. I will try for grysbok, orbi and blue duiker.

Best of luck, look forward to the updates and the report!

I hope everything goes well. I will try for grysbok, orbi and blue duiker.

Good luck with these guys Eric.
Honestly, I'd consider a shotgun on the Grysbok and Blue Duiker if you will be in close. (Which is most likely)

Safe trip.

Good luck and safe travels Eric. I'm already looking forward to reading the report!

I will use a shotgun if I can on the caracal, grysbok, blue duiker if I can. I'm trying to get most of the specialty animals hunted while I have time and $$$. I have worked 40+ days straight now in row.

Good luck and shoot straight, hope the weather and critters cooperate!!

I'll bet you are sick and tired of work. This trip will be just the ticket. The 7mm will do just fine. You know how to do it right. Looking forward to hearing about your trip in detail. Best of luck and enjoy being away from work! Bruce

Good luck Eric! You need a break anyway brother!
Cheers,
Cody

Enjoy Eric. Have a great safari, you've earned it! Shoot straight and safe travels.

Good luck! Should be a great hunt and congrats on getting a chance at an oribi!

Thanks everyone, I hope the memories live up to the dreams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!