AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Have been working on a custom 9.3x62 off and on for a while, honey-doo projects and a new trophy room kept pushing it to the back burner. I had a old FN mauser in 30/06 with a shot out barrel. so I sent the action to Roger Ferrell from the gunmakers guild and he did the barrel work and rust bluing. (24 in tapered octagon barrel ) I did the stock work. Had a old english walnut blank that didn't look like much but boy did I get a surprise when I started cutting into it. Was very pleased with the fiddle back and nice grain pattern that came out. All that is left is to checker the stock.

IMG_3241.JPG
IMG_3242.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG
IMG_3244.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Dave!

Looks great Dave! I am impressed with the stock you made.

VERY nice! The wood is absolutely fantastic!

I saw the grain on that wood and said "holy s*%$" out loud.
Like waves hitting the beach...pretty cool.

Those mineral lines and the fiddleback truly set that apart from many XXX stocks, I really like any stock with fiddleback. Very nice eye candy.

Looking mighty fine my friend. Have you taken it to the range yet? What are you planning on hunting with it?

Awesome! How does it shoot?

Thank you all for the kind comments, I haven't had the opportunity to get it to the range yet as I just finished the stock yesterday. I plan on hunting mouse to moose in NA. Driven boar in europe, and dik-dik to Eland in africa. Now I just need to save the $$$ to pull off the hunts. As funny as it sounds for a guy that loves to shoot Iron sights I gave allot of thought to having or not having them on this rifle. I really liked the clean look of the tapered octagon and chose to not add them to this build. I might chang my mind in the future after shooting it as the irons would be easy to add.

Thank you all for the kind comments, I haven't had the opportunity to get it to the range yet as I just finished the stock yesterday. I plan on hunting mouse to moose in NA. Driven boar in europe, and dik-dik to Eland in africa. Now I just need to save the $$$ to pull off the hunts. As funny as it sounds for a guy that loves to shoot Iron sights I gave allot of thought to having or not having them on this rifle. I really liked the clean look of the tapered octagon and chose to not add them to this build. I might chang my mind in the future after shooting it as the irons would be easy to add.
You mean the bald headed look? LOL.:ROFLMAO::eek::rolleyes:o_O;);) Like an AR15 without a flash suppressor, bald!:rolleyes:

Have been working on a custom 9.3x62 off and on for a while, honey-doo projects and a new trophy room kept pushing it to the back burner. I had a old FN mauser in 30/06 with a shot out barrel. so I sent the action to Roger Ferrell from the gunmakers guild and he did the barrel work and rust bluing. (24 in tapered octagon barrel ) I did the stock work. Had a old english walnut blank that didn't look like much but boy did I get a surprise when I started cutting into it. Was very pleased with the fiddle back and nice grain pattern that came out. All that is left is to checker the stock.

View attachment 312047 View attachment 312048 View attachment 312050 View attachment 312052
@AZDAVE
Beautiful rifle, love the touch of the octagonal barrel and all in a good caliber.
Bob

@AZDAVE
I have to agree with you Dave. It would have to be a very special set of sights that don't spoil the lines. The ones I saw on a Wesley Richards Lee speed with an octagonal barrel and a checkered to flat would be nice but big $$$$.
Bob.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois