Allure of the Ruger No1

Polish the Land Rover (and fix it....)
Squire Peacocke making reference to polishing and fixing a Land Rover in the same sentence without mention of a decent oil drip tray "fixed" to the underside is a bit too optimistic...
Randrova.jpg

Beautiful rifle! Don't buy the 243, or someone who their screen name ends with a 35, will give you sh*t for doing it. LMAO!!!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
@PARA45
If they buy a 243 it is thier choice, it will just give them the chance to buy another in a different calibre that actually works. My mate Greg has a lovely No1 in 270 with a 26 inch barrel.
Bob

Luckily I’m no fan of the .243… ;)

At least not for anything bigger than a fox, I’ve seen way too many “it’s all about shot placement” injuring animals never to be retrieved.
@VertigoBE
That's exactly the same reason I despise it.
Bob

The Priv ammo has always worked well for me. In my #1 7x57 the 139 grain SP shoots really well I've not used it to hunt with but it is certainly capable of some fairly good accuracy. I now wish I'd bought more than 200 round of it last year :confused: as it seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth.

I'm not sure what the appeal of the #1 is and I realize it doesn't do something for everyone but of all the rifles in my safe, bolt action and semi auto, my 2 Ruger #1s are my favorite to shoot.

(Note this is in reply to an earlier post, for some reason I didn't get it to quote)

The Priv ammo has always worked well for me. In my #1 7x57 the 139 grain SP shoots really well I've not used it to hunt with but it is certainly capable of some fairly good accuracy. I now wish I'd bought more than 200 round of it last year :confused: as it seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth.

I'm not sure what the appeal of the #1 is and I realize it doesn't do something for everyone but of all the rifles in my safe, bolt action and semi auto, my 2 Ruger #1s are my favorite to shoot.

(Note this is in reply to an earlier post, for some reason I didn't get it to quote)

Agreed, there is something special about single shots.

Landrover.jpg

Do not misunderstand this picture...

The Landrover is there, just to seal an oil well!

;)

HWL

Here's my #1 I plan to take with me on my first trip to Africa. It's a 9.3x74R I got when CDNN was blowing them out for $600 a couple years ago. I know the camo scope is ugly, got that on clearance too (VX6HD 2-12 tri-moa). Took some fiddling with the forend to get it to group consistently. I eventually sanded the tip down and then put a dense piece of rubber between the tip of the forend and the barrel, relieved the wood in the forend around the action, and played with the screw tension. Now it groups consistently 1/2 MOA with 250 Nosler Accubonds and RL-17 (only 1 MOA with Partitions). Using a rangefinder I can confidently hit 1 gallon jugs out to 450 yards from a pack or sandbag. I think that's beyond my practical hunting limit for this cartridge, but should make 300 yards reasonable.

Included a photo of how to modify the safety for clear ejection if you don't want to buy a new safety. Just need to remove it and grind a profile on the front, then a little cold blue. It will now eject the big rimmed cases 3 feet behind the rifle. (Have to credit my handy father for this one!)

20210815_090556.jpg
20210815_090657.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Rimshot I love the rifle but that scope has got to go.
I regret the scope a little bit for the jarring asthetics, but it was such a good deal! I really need to trade with someone who wants the camo. But all of my local buddies balk at a scope that costs more than $200. The other problem is that Leupold thinks nobody wants a MOA reticle on their 2-12x VX6HD and discontinued it. I find the MOA hash marks for windage extremely useful when shooting long range. With the 250 Accubond the 9.3x74R can reach out pretty well.

I regret the scope a little bit for the jarring asthetics, but it was such a good deal! I really need to trade with someone who wants the camo. But all of my local buddies balk at a scope that costs more than $200. The other problem is that Leupold thinks nobody wants a MOA reticle on their 2-12x VX6HD and discontinued it. I find the MOA hash marks for windage extremely useful when shooting long range. With the 250 Accubond the 9.3x74R can reach out pretty well.

I wonder if Leupold could refinish it.

What is the frame size on the 9.3 Ruger, it looks like one down from the tropical?

By the way, I also re-profiled my No1 safety without taking it out. You cut a piece of food can which is thin enough to fit underneath the tanc and prorects the rifle while you caferully take off the toe with a junior hacksaw and profile it with a small file. Bit of blue and you are done.

Rattle can black the scope.
I wonder if Leupold could refinish it.
It's probably possible for a buck.
What is the frame size on the 9.3 Ruger, it looks like one down from the tropical?

By the way, I also re-profiled my No1 safety without taking it out. You cut a piece of food can which is thin enough to fit underneath the tanc and prorects the rifle while you caferully take off the toe with a junior hacksaw and profile it with a small file. Bit of blue and you are done.
The frames are all the same size. I believe you are referring to the barrel profile. It's hard to say with that giant scope, but it appears to be a lighter weight than we are used to seeing in tropicals. I believe it's a C weight barrel and you're looking for the familiar D weight of the tropical.

to preserve whatever resale is on that scope, spray it with plastidip black. When go to sell, just peel it off. Someone somewhere will pay extra for that camo finish i imagine. Plastidip will also protect the camo from dings while hunting.

to preserve whatever resale is on that scope, spray it with plastidip black. When go to sell, just peel it off. Someone somewhere will pay extra for that camo finish i imagine. Plastidip will also protect the camo from dings while hunting.
@dailordasailor
That a better Idea than that rattle can butcher@Forrest Halley. He would be the type who if you gave him a Porsche in a color he didn't like it would be an easy fix. He would just go to the local hardware and buy a dozen cans of rattle paint or the cheap skate would buy a gallon of house paint and a 6" brush to do the job. He tends to be a bit of a problem child our Forrest.
Bob

Here is my great No.1 in 7 mm Rem.Mag. It is complety reworked, front stock was fixed exactly with pressure point, the system is colour hardened by August Schilling in Zella Mehlis (Germany), who has done a really good job. The rifle is fitted with a Keppeler (Kusfstein- Austria) trigger that works fine and can also be used as a backpull hair trigger. The barrel has now a thread for an Hausken Silencer and is a little bit shorter (22 inches). With the long barrel and without silencer I made a successful longe range shot some times ago, but after that bells are ringing two days in my ears. Not longer. Now I can shoot without any ear protection - precision is great and the rifle is only a little bit longer. Thats no problem, when my ears were saved. The new Kahles Helia 2-10x50 is wonderful bright, the reticle is in every magnification exact small and I can make longe range shots without problems (Second Focal Plane). For me the 10 x magnification is big enough. The further Riflescope I used on the Ruger was a Swarovski 2-12x50 Habicht - a reliable and very good scope - but the reticle covered the target, too much (First Focal Plane), in long distance shootings.

I took the rifle to Namibia - where I hunted with it in the nice Khomas Highlands. My PH was Philip Hennings from Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris, who made a wonderful job. An Oryx, an warthog and an Impala was shot with my Ruger. I always used Barnes TX ammunition - 160 gr. - that works without problems.

There is only one thing, I dont like much when I use the Ruger. The loud metallic click when you open the system lever. Deer and bucks has fine ears and I help myself - I dont trust the safety, when I walk through the bush - and keep the lever a bit open (not completly) and the safety on.
Thats not the smartest way to get more safety - but it works better than any loud uploading which evicts the game.

The Ruger No.1 is - directly behind my original mauser 98 rifles - my favorite hunting rifle.

Ruger - 1.jpg
Ruger 2.jpg
Ruger 3.jpg
Oryx Jocky 2016 (2).jpeg

There is only one thing, I dont like much when I use the Ruger. The loud metallic click when you open the system lever. Deer and bucks has fine ears and I help myself - I dont trust the safety, when I walk through the bush - and keep the lever a bit open (not completly) and the safety on.
Take the fore stock off and turn down the tension on the ejector. Your loud click should go away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg