Allure of the Ruger No1

Gents,

The first caribou I ever shot was with a Ruger #1 that I used to own, in the early 1980’s.
I had put a Leupold compact 2.5x scope on it, in the factory rings.
Like so many others here, I too am very fond of the Ruger single shot.
At the end of the day, I agree with CAustin and others here, in that it is a lot of rifle for the money.
**I guess it would not turn much profit for the company to offer #1 rifles with the following modifications.
But it’d be delightful if they did.
These are what I’d like to see:

“Safety” tab configured to allow empties to fly clear of the rifle when the lever is pitched open with enthusiasm, (such as the Strop tab that rookhawk mentioned).
26” barrel as the standard in rifle length.
In other words, drop the 22” and 24” barrel lengths, except as special order items (but as an option, continue offering their full stock / carbine length version for those who prefer short, rifles).
Offer an “African Model”, with again 26” barrel, express sights, oval cheek piece stock and chambered in traditional African Calibers.
The “Tropical” version was a thankful but too short a step in this direction.
In addition to what Ruger gratefully did offer in their limited runs of, .303 British, .300 H&H, 9.3x74R, .375 H&H, 450/400 Jeffery, .404 Jeffery and .450 NE 3.25”, I’d like to see such an “Africa Model” rifle offered in the following:

.300 H&H Flanged.
.375 H&H Flanged.
.450 No2 NE.
.470 NE.
.500 NE.

Also, a quite small frame sized #1 for cartridges beginning with .22 rim fire, especially the .22 rim fire Magnum, (or the .17s I guess now days), also the .22 Hornet, .25-20, .32-20, .38 Special / .357 Magnum, .44 Special / .44 Magnum and similar sized cartridges.
Likewise, a truly large frame for cartridges such as .577 NE, .600 NE plus, 12 bore 3” rifled and 10 bore 3.5” rifled.

**I realize these pipe dreams would have to cost the consumer a good bit more than usual.
But, such things are what occupy my mind when I have time to think happy thoughts.

Cheers,
Paul.

Last edited:
Gents,

The first caribou I ever shot was with a Ruger #1 that I used to own, in the early 1980’s.
I had put a Leupold compact 2.5x scope on it, in the factory rings.
Like so many others here, I too am very fond of the Ruger single shot.
At the end of the day, I agree with CAustin and others here, in that it is a lot of rifle for the money.
**I guess it would not turn much profit for the company to turn out #1 rifles with the following modifications.
But it’d be delightful if they did.
These are what I’d like to see:

“Safety” tab configured to allow empties to fly clear of the rifle when the lever is pitched open with enthusiasm, (such as the Strop tab that rookhawk mentioned).
26” barrel as the standard in rifle length.
In other words, drop the 22” and 24” barrel lengths, except as special order lengths (but as an option, continue offering their full stock / carbine length version for those who prefer short, rifles).
Offer an “African Model”, with again 26” barrel, express sights, oval cheek piece stock and chambered in traditional African Calibers.
The “Tropical” version was a thankful but too short of a step in this direction.
In addition to what Ruger thankfully did offer in their limited runs of, .303 British, .300 H&H, 9.3x74R, .375 H&H, 450/400 Jeffery, .404 Jeffery and .450 NE 3.25”, I’d like to see such an “Africa Model” rifle offered in the following:

.300 H&H Flanged.
.375 H&H Flanged.
.450 No2 NE.
.470 NE.
.500 NE.

Also, a small frame #1 for cartridges beginning with .22 rim fire, especially the .22 rim fire Magnum, (or the 17s I guess now days), also the .22 Hornet, .25-20, 32-20, .38 Special / .357 Magnum, .44 Special / .44 Magnum and similar sized cartridges.
Likewise, a large frame for cartridges such as .577 NE, .600 NE plus, 12 bore 3” rifled and 10 bore 3.5” rifled.

**I realize these pipe dreams would have to cost the consumer a good bit more than usual.
But, such things are what occupy my mind when I have time to think happy thoughts.

Cheers,
Although the Tropical didn't go all the way it is a very nice rifle all the same. I have seen pictures of several that look to have been upgraded to your spec, the deluxe walnut with pancake cheek piece looks spectacular on a No1. I have been thinking of getting such a stock sent out from the USA, several people seem to offer it. I would love to hand finish it, but nobody here does chequering, so that is the spoiler so far.

Although the Tropical didn't go all the way it is a very nice rifle all the same. I have seen pictures of several that look to have been upgraded to your spec, the deluxe walnut with pancake cheek piece looks spectacular on a No1. I have been thinking of getting such a stock sent out from the USA, several people seem to offer it. I would love to hand finish it, but nobody here does chequering, so that is the spoiler so far.

Hi Kevin,

I totally agree with you in that, the #1 Tropical Model is a very nice rifle all the same (great minds think alike).
I hope to see a photo of your rifle if you restock it as you mention.
Chequering is not as difficult as it seems that it should be.
The bee in this beer is “time”.

It takes a long time of moving tree sloth slow, to chequer a gun stock, without making a slip past your borders from moving too fast.
If interested, you could buy the simple tools (not super expensive).
But, you will need a stock vice that allows you to rotate your stock in short increments and hold it steady in each position.
Buying a commercially made one is likely expensive.

Making your own is an option.
Then, practice a lot on sections of tree branch, scrap lumber and such, before doing your stock.

Cheers,
Paul.

In six trips to Africa my battery Of Ruger rifles has served me and my son Bryson very well. 35 Total trophies taken of which 22 fell to the Ruger #1 in 300 Win Mag, 5 to the Ruger #1 in 375 H&H and 8 to the Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger. The Ruger #1 did the majority of the work and frankly if I had the #1 in 375 H&H in 2013 everything would have been taken with it over the years. The #1 just feels right on my shoulder and I am confident when using it due to accuracy and reliability of the rifle. Just a great rifle in the field.

The Ruger #1 did the majority of the work and frankly if I had the #1 in 375 H&H in 2013 everything would have been taken with it over the years. The #1 just feels right on my shoulder and I am confident when using it due to accuracy and reliability of the rifle. Just a great rifle in the field.
If I had purchased a Ruger #1 in .375 some ten years ago, I would have a lot fewer calibers and rifles on my shelf. I totally agree with you about its wonderful nature afield.

Am I right that the Ruger No1 safety has two actions:
Firstly it prevents the trigger being pulled back.
Secondly it blocks the hammer from travel even if the sear does release it.

If this is correct, is it not a very safe system? Are there any known AD's with a Ruger No1?

Unless I missed something when I installed my Law safety, the hammer is not blocked by the safety. I'm comfortable with the statement that the trigger cannot be pulled on a three screw trigger. I believe the same to be true with the two screw.

Forrest, there is an animated video on Google called 'how the Ruger No1 works'. It shows a horizontal bar activated by the safety that then engages the hammer. Take a look and see what you think, it isn't too clear but thats what it appears to be doing.

Kevin, upon further consideration, I believe that you are correct. I'm aware that I cannot safe the rifle after the hammer is down, so it stands to reason that it blocks the hammer. I vividly recall having to back off on one of the screws on the trigger to remove my factory safety so I am certain that the trigger is blocked. I cannot load the video from my slow connection while crossing this little ocean.

With regard to the allure of the #1:
I believe this is diminishing and will eventually cease to exist altogether. The reasons I cite are the diminished quality of the wood that is being used and manufacturing short cuts. Look at the manner in which the boddington guns were constructed. Matte finish metal work. Wood that was nothing to write home about. The pluses were the chamberings in some neat calibers and express fixed sights. So out of all that they got something right, twice even. With Lipsey's basically dictating the production each year I do not see a bright future for this rifle. Board wood stocks or worse a laminate, two screw triggers, chasing silly calibers like the 6.5 and .450 Bushmaster, and the continued installation of those worthless folding sights will be the death bellows of a fine arm.

You can tout the fine arms made by folks who really oversee the finest details as being better and of higher quality, but for a working stiff like me I cannot appreciate the difference well enough to go that financial extra mile.

I'd like to see the #1 remain as a production rifle and also as a custom order rifle where a man can pay $2000 and dictate his chambering and either be told coming right up or send us the reamers. In turn he should receive a well stocked rifle with stock he can be proud of. It should have a trigger with three screws, quality fixed sights that he can use to shoot a game animal dead at 100 yards with in most every light, and a safety that is well made and looks and feels good and positive. The rifle should ship with quality scope rings that work with real scopes with proper eye relief.

With regard to the allure of the #1:
I believe this is diminishing and will eventually cease to exist altogether. The reasons I cite are the diminished quality of the wood that is being used and manufacturing short cuts. Look at the manner in which the boddington guns were constructed. Matte finish metal work. Wood that was nothing to write home about. The pluses were the chamberings in some neat calibers and express fixed sights. So out of all that they got something right, twice even. With Lipsey's basically dictating the production each year I do not see a bright future for this rifle. Board wood stocks or worse a laminate, two screw triggers, chasing silly calibers like the 6.5 and .450 Bushmaster, and the continued installation of those worthless folding sights will be the death bellows of a fine arm.

You can tout the fine arms made by folks who really oversee the finest details as being better and of higher quality, but for a working stiff like me I cannot appreciate the difference well enough to go that financial extra mile.

I'd like to see the #1 remain as a production rifle and also as a custom order rifle where a man can pay $2000 and dictate his chambering and either be told coming right up or send us the reamers. In turn he should receive a well stocked rifle with stock he can be proud of. It should have a trigger with three screws, quality fixed sights that he can use to shoot a game animal dead at 100 yards with in most every light, and a safety that is well made and looks and feels good and positive. The rifle should ship with quality scope rings that work with real scopes with proper eye relief.
How much of too much is that to ask?

fullsizeoutput_92a.jpeg

I've had several No 1's apart over the years, and if I recall correctly, there is a small bar that extends forward and block the hammer when the safety is on. So it's a very safe design. I've managed to sell every one I ever owned, but a 450/400 is on my radar.

I love Ruger #1's, I only have two currently, a 30-06 and a 416 Rigby but they would make a fine brace for an African safari. The Blesbok below was taken with my #1 in 30-06 and a 180 grain NP on my first safari in 2016.

View attachment 353563
@Art Lambart II
It's a wonder you don't complete the show with a No1 in 35 Whelen mate.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jessica87G

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross