All round rimmed cartridge

Jimbob

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I'm drawing up an action I want to build at some point over the next couple years. Very much a long term project.

I'm fascinated by the big stuff so a 6 or 8 bore is the original plan.

However, I got to thinking "maybe a nice all around cartridge would be good". The rifle would likely not see thick skinned game but needs to be capable of it in case funds allow.

So the obvious choices would be 450/400 NE and 375 Flanged Magnum.

Any others? Wildcats welcome as brass for 375 and bullets for the 450/400 can be scarce.

what kind of action are you designing?

if your looking for a nice rimmed cartridge the 500 NE 3" is a very solid choice. if your wanting more range then either the 375 H&H flanged or the 500/416 NE would be good choices. i really like the 416 caliber for all around use (i use a 416 RM for everything) so i like the 500/416 NE. but keep in mind the 375 and 416 operate at higher pressures.

-matt

It's a rotating breech double. Not as pretty as the usual doubles but should be stronger and very reliable. Tough as nails workhorse really.

I think the 500 is a little too much to be able to justify here (UK gun laws) and still use for UK quarry. Unfortunately the same goes for the 500/416.
Something around 300 Win Mag energy is easier to justify.

Basically, we can have anything we want so long as we have a range to shoot it at. However we won't get the permission to buy expanding bullets. To get that permission you have to have the cartridge approved for UK quarry.
So I can have a 6 bore/500 nitro/even a 700 nitro, but could only take quarry abroad and would have to do it with solids or expanding ammo bought there. Not really feasible with a double as re-zero is tricky ;)

So a 6 bore would be nice as it'd be cast all the way so I could have paper patched softs and hard cast solids.
I guess the same is true for the 500/577/600 nitro aswell. Hadn't thought of that.

However a 450/400 (or 450/416) or 375 flanged could be used in the UK on our large deer and boar and I could use jacketed softs. Even then, it's pushing it energy wise.

Sorry for the ramble :) hopefully you see my predicament in finding something which is good enough for elephant but low enough energy so not to scare the licensing bods!

hopefully you see my predicament in finding something which is good enough for elephant but low enough energy so not to scare the licensing bods!

Yes, that is a very tall order!

Don't know what energy level your bureaucrats get excited at...but the .375 H&H is often the legal minimum for DG.

I personally am developing a fondness for my 375 H&H that has subtle immoral overtones....not sure what the flanged is like but I can't imagine you could go wrong with it.

make it in 500 NE 3" and regulate it for Norma FMJ ammunition then when you get to Africa simply buy Norma SP ammunition for it. both Norma loads should regulate to the same POI.

-matt

Getting a 375 Flanged would be possible. There would likely be some kind of condition applied or if have to fight it a little bit but the licensing department for my county are pretty good.

Just didn't know if there was anything I wasn't considering cartridge wise.

make it in 500 NE 3" and regulate it for Norma FMJ ammunition then when you get to Africa simply buy Norma SP ammunition for it. both Norma loads should regulate to the same POI.

-matt

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought past hand loading. Is Norma ammunition easy to acquire in the usual African countries?

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought past hand loading. Is Norma ammunition easy to acquire in the usual African countries?

not sure about other countries but it was on the shelf in SA.

you can regulate the gun for Norma factory ammunition then hand load using 570gr Woodleigh bullets.

-matt

i forgot to say this earlier, but you can always have your outfitter buy some ammunition in advance. obviously you would need to pay for it in advance but it would ensure you have cartridges when you show up.

-matt

the common inexpensive 45-70 s, from light cast lead reduced loads to high end factory bullets loads, brass is plentifull.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg