LivingTheDream

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
So after this whole Cecil the lion debacle, which I think has gave us all a black eye may have actually done some good...bear with me here.

First, many of us hunters have seem to finally unite. As hunters we are naturally inclined to think our way of hunting is better. Crossbow vs Bow, Bow vs Gun, hound hunting, baiting, there is a never ending controversy within our ranks, and for the last couple of weeks we have been a united front for the most part. Sure there is some that don't get that this is a bigger fight but seem to have a better sense of purpose and a clearer message amongst us.

Second, it seems to me there have been lots of new members to the site and many of them are planning their first trip or just came back from their first trip and this interest and them being here shows that we are growing.

Third, everyone knows that I hunt. Many people have engaged in conversations with me about it and thanks to many of the facts that member so proudly posted here, I have been able to make a common sense and articulate argument. Granted, I'm sick of talking about it but many people have quasi agreed that hunting needs to happen. Some admitted they were hypocrites for not being able to hunt but eating meat and others still disagreed but we as hunters didn't seem like some evil group and could understand where I was coming from. No one from my conversations was more upset/angry and calling for all hunting to end. I know many of you have had these conversations as well as this is the best thing possible for winning the hearts and minds.

Finally, I think the anti's overplayed their hands, many people actually looked at Zimbabwe and saw the state of the country and realized there is more then just a Lion. The grizzly bear attack had numerous comments saying bring in hunters! This is a complete reversal to what would have been said just a week ago. This is a long battle but I think there is hope, there is a chance for us to continue our message of conservation that will further ensure that hunting is the best method to save our most precious animals.

I think some people woke up and realized Zimbabwe doesn't operate like the USA. Some ugly stories of the history of ZIM popped up and people realized "Cecil" is just one lion and ZIM has bigger problems.

Great post!!!!

I agree wholeheartedly, especially about the antis over playing their hand.

And it was interesting, through this whole lion thing I've only had one person just flat out tell me that hunting and my point of view was wrong. And I bet I've talked to over 50 people about it, maybe more. That ain't bad odds.

We as a group just have to learn to scream "LOUDER " !
Glen

And this is where social media comes in!!!!

I put up pictures of animals I've shot. I'm not ashamed. But, I also out up other pictures and try and make sure people know ot os about being outdoors, not just shooting something. Most people react favorably to that.

Its certainly got people talking and for those willing to listen, they learnt something.

I think that is what we have to take away, there is no way we convince the anti's that we are right. PETA thinks that having Pets is animal cruelty and they are better off dead. We can't fight that. But there is a large group of fence sitters, that don't care if we hunt or if we don't. Those are the ones that we might make a difference with. They probably will never ever go hunting but they will have a better appreciation for hunters and what we do.

Most of those I know personally in my world, do not hunt. I have been repeatedly asked about this Cecil. My response is always, "the news is a bunch of bunk". To which they respond, "that's what we thought". Those who do not hunt here in the U.S., are more concerned about who is running for the next President, than some lion in ZIM. But their question does allow me the opportunity to educate on the importance of hunting.

For my friends who do hunt, their feeling is that this will blow over in due time. The world tends to move quickly on to the next newsworthy issues.....issues that most affect them.

My personal feeling is this: I only wish that the hit trophy hunting has been taking lately, would work like a forest fire. Destroying what is corrupt, and leaving behind a more renewed and stronger industry. One bent on ensuring integrity at all levels.

LivingTheDream....I share in your optimism. :)

One thing that came out of it for me is SCI, DSC and Houston Safari Club need to hire a PR person that looks good and sounds good on TV and radio.

I just saw the DSC response. It would be great if there was a way to get this type of coverage out there and not just on their website. Even the outdoor channel as a commercial to try to further unite hunters would be better then nothing. Hopefully, this will act as a wake up call to all hunters and we can get better organized for when the next wave happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.