Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I must say that it is a bit refreshing to see that a First Nations group is not hunting moose in an area where the population is at risk. The Manitoba provincial government has tried that in the West-Central part of that province. No regulated moose hunting permitted in that area, but the local First Nations are still taking moose there. But the most concerning part for myself as a Saskatchewan resident is that the Manitoba F.N. are pouring over the border into Eastern Sask in huge numbers going after our moose and elk. They start in mid to late summer hunting at night on private farmland and drive through standing crops, destroying a lot of it. Then they take a break while we regulated hunters have our chance, then they're back again to hunt moose and elk all winter when the animals are more vulnerable and the females are heavily pregnant. Pretty hard to manage a wildlife population like that.

I don’t believe that the group mentioned in this story is concerned for the wildlife. They just don’t want competition for the resource. The same group is over harvesting the moose resource unabated on the Ontario side of the border. This has resulted in next to zero opportunities for non indigenous peoples to hunt moose in central Ontario.

I don’t believe that the group mentioned in this story is concerned for the wildlife. They just don’t want competition for the resource. The same group is over harvesting the moose resource unabated on the Ontario side of the border. This has resulted in next to zero opportunities for non indigenous peoples to hunt moose in central Ontario.
I guess I misread. Very disappointing, but not surprising.

Part of the Canadian conversation with first nations has to be a common approach to natural resources. We have such a stupid dialogue right now that nothing constructive is being done. I do understand, however, that individual bands pay more attention to this issue than some others. I hope that professional approach catches on. Not hopeful in my ifetime.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg