Cossack

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe
Hello all, greetings from Eastern Washington! My father and I are finally getting serious about hunting where we've always dreamed. I was born in Alaska and grew up in Montana, and my father and I have hunted from Jackrabbits to Moose (not to mention scads of ducks and upland birds) in both places. My bedtime stories as a boy were from Alexander Lake and Africa became the place of my imagination. I've now been to South Africa twice (once with my father) on academic and mission trips, but I've not hunted there. Unfortunately, my father was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, and we realized that we can't keep putting this off forever, so we're doing our homework and checking out our options.

Right now we're thinking primarily about Zimbabwe or Namibia, largely due to affordability. Dad doesn't really care if he shoots anything, but just would love to be out on a hunt and do a little wingshooting. I'd like to do some plains game and maybe a buff if the budget allows.

I'm also very interested in Burkina Faso, a country that has always held my imagination, largely because of the culture (doesn't every kid dream about Burkina Faso?;) ). It seems like a reasonably affordable place to hunt as well, so I'm going to look into it some more. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience there. Uganda would be a dream come true, but seems far too expensive.

If anyone has any recommendations or considerations, I'd love to hear them. We want a good hunt in open country, nothing handed to us on a platter and have no need for extravagant luxury. On the other hand, dad isn't as young as he once was (alas!) so while he can still hike and work, a Cameroon Jungle hunt isn't really it either (maybe for me someday!).

Greetings and thanks!
- Nick

NUys

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hi Cossack,

Welcome to AH.

I will send you a pm regarding your African hunt.

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Welcome to AH Cossack! I wish you all the best on your quest to finding the perfect hunting destination for you and your father. Let us know where you end up going.

Thunder head

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NWTF, NRA
You might want to look at two countries hunt if you want to bird hunt. Big game in Zimbabwe and bird shooting in South Africa. During the short time i spent in the grassland area of South Africa, i saw more birds than one could hope to shoot.

TRAVEL EXPRESS

Sponsor
Since 2010
AH fanatic
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.travelexpressagency.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Safari Club International, Dallas Safari Club, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett Club, PHASA
Hunted
Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia, Tanzania, New Zealand, Argentina and throughout North America
Welcome Cossack ~
Good luck in planning your african dream hunt. If you need insight into travel arrangments for your trip, I'd be glad to answer any questions.

LouisB

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI and PHASA
Hunted
South Africa and Zambia
Welcome Nick
Good luck on planning your upcoming hunt.
Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

blue boy

Reaction score
Website
www.afrihunt.net
Media
Member of
Phasa & SCI & Wild Sheep foundation
Hunted
south-africa, botswana, tanzania and usa
Hi Nick
I am new to this forum as well. I guess you get swamped with request and offerings right now. The best way to start is probably South Africa or Namibia and go from there. West Africa and in particular Burkina is a bit "dicy" at times but apart from that it's fine hunting.
Enjoy

Cossack

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe
What do you mean by "dicy?"

Cossack

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe
Are you referring to political stability? If so, Burkina Faso is one of the more stable countries in West Africa. Other than a border dispute with Mali in 1985 hat was over in a few days, I'm not aware of any fighting there.

vgruan

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, PHASA, DSC, NRA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
Hello Nick,

Welcome to AH! Good luck planning your trip, if you have any questions feel free to ask me anytime.

Best regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShellaBlan

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...