Cossack

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
Hunted
USA, Zimbabwe
Hello all, greetings from Eastern Washington! My father and I are finally getting serious about hunting where we've always dreamed. I was born in Alaska and grew up in Montana, and my father and I have hunted from Jackrabbits to Moose (not to mention scads of ducks and upland birds) in both places. My bedtime stories as a boy were from Alexander Lake and Africa became the place of my imagination. I've now been to South Africa twice (once with my father) on academic and mission trips, but I've not hunted there. Unfortunately, my father was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, and we realized that we can't keep putting this off forever, so we're doing our homework and checking out our options.

Right now we're thinking primarily about Zimbabwe or Namibia, largely due to affordability. Dad doesn't really care if he shoots anything, but just would love to be out on a hunt and do a little wingshooting. I'd like to do some plains game and maybe a buff if the budget allows.

I'm also very interested in Burkina Faso, a country that has always held my imagination, largely because of the culture (doesn't every kid dream about Burkina Faso?;) ). It seems like a reasonably affordable place to hunt as well, so I'm going to look into it some more. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience there. Uganda would be a dream come true, but seems far too expensive.

If anyone has any recommendations or considerations, I'd love to hear them. We want a good hunt in open country, nothing handed to us on a platter and have no need for extravagant luxury. On the other hand, dad isn't as young as he once was (alas!) so while he can still hike and work, a Cameroon Jungle hunt isn't really it either (maybe for me someday!).

Greetings and thanks!
- Nick

Hi Cossack,

Welcome to AH.

I will send you a pm regarding your African hunt.

Welcome to AH Cossack! I wish you all the best on your quest to finding the perfect hunting destination for you and your father. Let us know where you end up going.

You might want to look at two countries hunt if you want to bird hunt. Big game in Zimbabwe and bird shooting in South Africa. During the short time i spent in the grassland area of South Africa, i saw more birds than one could hope to shoot.

Welcome Cossack ~
Good luck in planning your african dream hunt. If you need insight into travel arrangments for your trip, I'd be glad to answer any questions.

Welcome Nick
Good luck on planning your upcoming hunt.
Best Regards
Louis van Bergen

Hi Nick
I am new to this forum as well. I guess you get swamped with request and offerings right now. The best way to start is probably South Africa or Namibia and go from there. West Africa and in particular Burkina is a bit "dicy" at times but apart from that it's fine hunting.
Enjoy

What do you mean by "dicy?"

Are you referring to political stability? If so, Burkina Faso is one of the more stable countries in West Africa. Other than a border dispute with Mali in 1985 hat was over in a few days, I'm not aware of any fighting there.

Hello Nick,

Welcome to AH! Good luck planning your trip, if you have any questions feel free to ask me anytime.

Best regards,

Hello all, greetings from Eastern Washington! My father and I are finally getting serious about hunting where we've always dreamed. I was born in Alaska and grew up in Montana, and my father and I have hunted from Jackrabbits to Moose (not to mention scads of ducks and upland birds) in both places. My bedtime stories as a boy were from Alexander Lake and Africa became the place of my imagination. I've now been to South Africa twice (once with my father) on academic and mission trips, but I've not hunted there. Unfortunately, my father was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease, and we realized that we can't keep putting this off forever, so we're doing our homework and checking out our options.

Right now we're thinking primarily about Zimbabwe or Namibia, largely due to affordability. Dad doesn't really care if he shoots anything, but just would love to be out on a hunt and do a little wingshooting. I'd like to do some plains game and maybe a buff if the budget allows.

I'm also very interested in Burkina Faso, a country that has always held my imagination, largely because of the culture (doesn't every kid dream about Burkina Faso?;) ). It seems like a reasonably affordable place to hunt as well, so I'm going to look into it some more. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience there. Uganda would be a dream come true, but seems far too expensive.

If anyone has any recommendations or considerations, I'd love to hear them. We want a good hunt in open country, nothing handed to us on a platter and have no need for extravagant luxury. On the other hand, dad isn't as young as he once was (alas!) so while he can still hike and work, a Cameroon Jungle hunt isn't really it either (maybe for me someday!).

Greetings and thanks!
- Nick
I think it's great you and your father will get to go on Safari. I am nearly 68 with some health issues and just got back last evening from hunting in the South East Cape with my wife, son, and daughter-in-law. It wasn't an easy hunt and was not a high fence concession. We hunted with Nick Bowker Hunting (see his website), and I can't say enough good about his operation and pricing. It was everything I could have asked for and way beyond. We stayed at Olivefountain farm, in the original housing from 1840; although it has been modernized for comfort. Nick and his other PH are with you from the minute you land in Port Elizabeth until you depart at the airport. His prices are excellent and can be viewed on his website. Generally, his COMPLETE packages start at $4,000 for an 8 day hunt for 7 trophies. Other animals can be added.
I chose a $6,000 package and added 3 other animals. I took 8 animals; My son and D-I-L did some trading and took 10 animals.
My list included a Black Wildebeast, Gemsbok, Fallow Deer, Water Buck, Kudu, Nyala, Impala, and Warthog... all trophy class.
I realize you have your sites set for other countries to hunt, buck do go to NickBowkerHunting and take a look.
His Operation, Professionalism, Ethics, Facilities, Food & Drinks, and just the over-all experience was 5 Star.
Good Luck on your hunt. Don't wait too long as Parkinses can get bad quickly.
Dave0712

Do not overlook Botswana......

An old introduction with a fresh welcome to the A H forums

Oh my 11 years must have been to Africa 6 times already.......

Another Golden Oldie from the Grooveyard of forgotten favorites!

Covid cabin fever.....

Fu.king Chinese.....

Welcome to forum, and good luck finding your dream hunt!
If you are more specific about species you want to hunt, or general idea how do you imagine your hunt to be, you will get a lot of feeback from the sponsors of this forum! Enjoy your research!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg