Alaskan Hunter destined for Africa

Giday aKrifleman. Welcome to the A H forums.

G'day from Australia.

I hope you enjoy Africa and some new experiences.

Hello and welcome!

Welcome welcome welcome

Hello from Anchorage.

Actually my preferred flights over are here to Frankfurt and then straight down to JoBurg. Possible in the summer via Condor and now Eurowings. Otherwise down to Seattle and then to Frankfurt once. Last time, in January '21 originally I was going to Atlanta, but of course things changes and I went to Seattle then Amsterdam there and Paris, LA, and Seattle back. Plenty of us around to chat about other details.

Last edited:
Hello akrifleman,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Although I work for Khomas Safaris, I however live in Anchorage, Alaska.
I’m +1 with Ryan on flying from USA to Frankfurt Germany, then direct to (in my case Windhoek, Namibia).

You mentioned lunch or beer and discussing hunting.
Count me in.

Anyway, glad you joined.
PM myself and / or any of your fellow Alaskan residents here, if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
(Paul Ard).

Last edited:
I just joined recently after lurking for some time because I am trying to make a trip to Africa in the next couple of years or so. I'm in Palmer and used to live in Dillingham (which should explain my name to Tundra Tiger). Feel free to DM me. We could hit the Ale House and talk hunting or fly fishing.

Hello Namagiqa,

I’m thinking the above post is your introduction to AH.
If not, please forgive me for my error.

At any rate, glad you joined and ……

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Hello akrifleman,

Although I work for Khomas Safaris, I however live in Anchorage, Alaska.
I’m +1 with Ryan on flying from USA to Frankfurt Germany, then direct to (in my case Windhoek, Namibia).

You mentioned lunch or beer and discussing hunting.
Count me in.

Anyway, glad you joined.
PM myself and / or any of your fellow Alaskan residents here, if you have any questions.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.
(Paul Ard).

I am pretty sure I must have met you at one of the sportsman's shows here lately, as I have your brochure and a bookmark. That said, looking forward to the next time we meet.

I am pretty sure I must have met you at one of the sportsman's shows here lately, as I have your brochure and a bookmark. That said, looking forward to the next time we meet.
Him or possibly the Osbournes/Versfeldts who have Windpoort Farm in Namibia and always go to the shows here. I've been with them twice.

Last edited:
Him of possibly the Osbournes/Versfeldts who have Windpoort Farm in Namibia and always go to the shows here. I've been with them twice.

I couldn't say with any certainty. At the shows there are too many names and faces for my fragile little mind to organize. Better to go out 1v1 or a small group. You learn much more and you get a chance to commit names and faces into the grey matter.

Welcome. Have fun planning, and welcome to the posting side!
Give us a call or email if we can assist you in any way.

Welcome to AH. I wish you the best of luck and fun with planning your Safari. I hope all comes together for you and your family.

Hello again akrifleman,

I had many years ago set up a booth at the “The Great Alaska Sportsman’s Show”, Sullivan Arena, Anchorage, advertising for Hannes Swanepoel Safaris, based in South Africa.
(Another great safari company as well).
Perhaps you and I met back then.

Since those long gone years have passed and now in more recent times, having accepted a job with Khomas Safaris of Namibia, I have handed out Khomas cards and brochures at various Gun Shows, in the Anchorage and Mat-Su areas for the past several years.
Perhaps I had offered same to yourself at one of those gatherings.
But, I no longer do the big Sportsman’s Show, as it became too much for me (I’m a geezer).
Anyway, I definitely prefer Namibia over South Africa but, both of those countries have a lot to offer the traveling hunter / fisher.

At any rate, perhaps we can get together one of these days.
Again, I live in Anchorage.
My favorite coffee place is the espresso and baked goods counter inside Sagaya Grocery, mid-town.
And, The Moose’s Tooth (about 3 blocks north of Sagaya Grocery) is my favorite beer joint, if that is any help.
However, I am not otherwise connected to either of those places in any way.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Hello again akrifleman,

I had many years ago set up a booth at the “The Great Alaska Sportsman’s Show”, Sullivan Arena, Anchorage, advertising for Hannes Swanepoel Safaris, based in South Africa.
(Another great safari company as well).
Perhaps you and I met back then.

Since those long gone years have passed and now in more recent times, having accepted a job with Khomas Safaris of Namibia, I have handed out Khomas cards and brochures at various Gun Shows, in the Anchorage and Mat-Su areas for the past several years.
Perhaps I had offered same to yourself at one of those gatherings.
But, I no longer do the big Sportsman’s Show, as it became too much for me (I’m a geezer).
Anyway, I definitely prefer Namibia over South Africa but, both of those countries have a lot to offer the traveling hunter / fisher.

At any rate, perhaps we can get together one of these days.
Again, I live in Anchorage.
My favorite coffee place is the espresso and baked goods counter inside Sagaya Grocery, mid-town.
And, The Moose’s Tooth (about 3 blocks north of Sagaya Grocery) is my favorite beer joint, if that is any help.
However, I am not otherwise connected to either of those places in any way.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
I try to make the pilgrimage to Moose's Tooth whenever the Darth Delirium is released ;-) I'm sure I could find something tasty in the meanwhile.

Welcome! I am in Georgia but wish I was in Alaska! I highly recommend @Philip Glass videos to help you get ready for Africa. I am going on my third and they were so helpful to me

Oi. I'm in Wasilla, I have nothing of value to add to any discussion, but I would heart to come to the beer/gabfest and just listen and learn.
And I want to throw in another plea for someone more adroit than I to organize a Cal Pappas Memorial Shoot. I would be happy to help in any way that requires 0 dollars or effort!

Welcome! I am in Georgia but wish I was in Alaska! I highly recommend @Philip Glass videos to help you get ready for Africa. I am going on my third and they were so helpful to me
Thanks Craig!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.