Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, RMEF
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia,....AK, WY, WA, ID, FL, SD, TX, HI
Every year after school lets out in May, my son and I take an overnight fishing trip. Usually just the two of us and spend some father/son time before the busy Alaska summer work season. The last couple years we flew into a remote lodge and fished for Northern Pike. Good times.
But, This year we wanted to something a little different. A co- worker and good buddy invited us to go along on a float fishing trip on the Kenai and/or Kasilof rivers for King Salmon with him and his girlfriend. Perfect. Jacob had never fished for Kings before, and while I have caught lots of them, the big 50 lb’er has always been elusive.
We hooked up with Cory Hetrick and his Chugach Backcountry Fishing Charters.
Cory is a local guy born and raised and he loves to fish. He is the guy that is catching fish when no one else is. He has a small outfit, with just one other guide (who is also a local fish junky) and together they catch lots and lots of fish every year.
That said I had never been fishing with them, but their reputation locally is stellar. Here is a link to his web page http://chugachbackcountryfishing.com/

We left home yesterday 5/29 at 2:00am for the 2 hr drive to the Kasilof River. My son got in the seat of pickup looked and me and said “wake me up when we get there”....:ROFLMAO:

The next two days were filled with floating the Kasilof and the Kenai rivers in search of the mighty king salmon. We all caught fish, and Jacob was on fire for two days. Every time the action started to slow he would have another bite. Some folks spend countless hours trying to catch a King but not Jacob. He had the first fish in the boat on the first morning on the Kasilof. Then when
went back to the Kenai again this morning he had first fish in the boat again(y)

Any way, it was a super good time. I can’t say enough good things about Chugach Backcountry Fishing.

Here are some of the pics....

C646796F-2001-4D5C-A3AD-C773403D866F.jpeg
799CBA7D-BA10-495E-AD13-32824AC15C92.jpeg
6BCB0911-8A98-4EAD-A3A4-13A860229D7D.jpeg
2B1508CB-E390-41BC-86B2-2854F222FE38.jpeg
B7A46043-3458-4CDF-810F-05F22644F320.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you had a great trip. Glad to see another father/son combo out having some fun fishing and hunting to.

One day I hope to take the my kid up to do some fishing.

Nice father/son trip! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

From the pics, it appears your money was well spent, especially with your boy along with you!

We do we come for supper :D

Would love to do that...looks like you guys had a fantastic trip! Boy your boy has changed! I was just looking at your Africa hunt report the other day with the pic of your boy with the blood of his first animal on his face. Looked a lot smaller there! They grow fast, so get as many trips with him as you can!:A Hi Five:

Would love to do that...looks like you guys had a fantastic trip! Boy your boy has changed! I was just looking at your Africa hunt report the other day with the pic of your boy with the blood of his first animal on his face. Looked a lot smaller there! They grow fast, so get as many trips with him as you can!:A Hi Five:

Yeah it’s crazy how fast they grow and time flys. Seems like he just born yesterday and now he is taller than his mom.

Man, that's an awesome fishing trip. Memories for a lifetime, some of the best ones for me are those hunting and fishing trips that I shared with my dad and son.

Makes me want to check my fishing gear!

Glad you guys got some nice fish.

Nice fish. Looks like you had a good trip. Always great to get time on the water with your kids.
Bruce

Congrats, looks like you all had a blast! I was up on the Russian last summer for the sockeye run - it was intense!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramenbetConsuelo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Houston Bill wrote on Sketchy1973's profile.
Hello,

I am considering selling my Rizzini 470 NE double, if you have interest we should discuss.

Bill
btheis13 wrote on migrabill's profile.
I love your zebra avatar! Is that yours? If so, would you mind sharing who did your taxidermy work?
Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video