Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
I remember reading one time that bear mauling fatalities occured at about an equal rate irregardless of whether the victim was armed or not. The hypothesis was that armed victims often didn't have time to bring their weapon into play.

Makes this situation pretty interesting I think.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/07/01/alaska-boy-11-shoots-bear-charging-fishing-party.html

ALASKA
Alaska boy, 11, shoots bear charging fishing party
Published July 01, 2017
Fox News
1498943318354.jpg

(Courtesy of Alaska State Senator Shelley Hughes)

The quick thinking of a young boy saved a fishing party from a charging brown bear, according to Alaska State Troopers.

Elliot Clark, 11, was walking through the woods near Game Creek last week with his three family members and three dogs when the bear came out and charged them, The Juneau Empire reported.

The bear ran through two of the men, pushing them to the side of the trail, leaving Elliot and his cousin left in its path, Elliot's father, Lucas, said.

"There was four of them in a line. My son was third," Elliot's father said. "The bear came down the trail at them, fella in the front, who was his uncle, the bear was on him so quickly that he didn't have time to take his rifle off his shoulder."

Related Image
1498943361868.jpg

(Courtesy of Alaska State Senator Shelley Hughes)

The boy then raised his pump action shotgun and shot the bear with birdshot.

His father said the first shot did nothing, but two more downed the bear and finishing shots by the boy and his uncle killed it.

"That first shot hit him in the shoulder and did absolutely nothing," he said. "The next shot hit him in the nose and traveled down through the neck."

Elliot's father said not getting around to putting a sling on his son's gun might have saved their lives, as he was able to quickly ready himself.

"He was carrying it in his hands rather than on his shoulder," he said. "That was the problem with the other ones, when the bear came at his uncle, he had his rifle on his shoulder and the bear was very close, so he couldn't get it off in time."

The incident was the first Defense of Life or Property killing in the Hoonah area this year, Alaska State Trooper spokeswoman Megan Peters said.

The Associated Press contributed to this

Attachments

• 1498943318354.jpg
    1498943318354.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 1498943361868.jpg
    1498943361868.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 115

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)

Attachments

• Screenshot (326).png
    Screenshot (326).png
    510.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Screenshot (327).png
    Screenshot (327).png
    439.5 KB · Views: 128
  • Screenshot (329).png
    Screenshot (329).png
    643 KB · Views: 102
  • Screenshot (330).png
    Screenshot (330).png
    613.6 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot (331).png
    Screenshot (331).png
    363.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot (332).png
    Screenshot (332).png
    599.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Screenshot (333).png
    Screenshot (333).png
    315.8 KB · Views: 100
  • Screenshot (334).png
    Screenshot (334).png
    188.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Screenshot (335).png
    Screenshot (335).png
    259.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Screenshot (336).png
    Screenshot (336).png
    105.6 KB · Views: 109
Last edited by a moderator:

cagkt3

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT, KS
DGX works, so why not four shot? ;)
Obviously that kid should have shot the bear when it was further away!

Sorry, couldn't help myself

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Wow I wonder what the weight retention was on those pellets?? I bet it was near 100%. Must have been very high quality ammo for sure. What was the kid thinking......you can't kill a charging bear with a shot gun. Why the minimum round to use surely has to be a 338.

Seriously that was a brave young man and his quick action saved lives. Hats off to him!

Paul Edwards

Silver supporter
AH member
Reaction score
Wow I wonder what the weight retention was on those pellets?? I bet it was near 100%. Must have been very high quality ammo for sure. What was the kid thinking......you can't kill a charging bear with a shot gun. Why the minimum round to use surely has to be a 338.

Seriously that was a brave young man and his quick action saved lives. Hats off to him!

Weight retention, deformation, penetration, and I am wondering...was that bird shot solid, bonded, expanding...oh, wait, sorry, wrong forum...

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Nice work by the young man for sure! Can't help but think about John Candy in the Great Outdoors though!
IMG_5063.JPG

K-man

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming
I wonder what penetration he got from the wad. Think of the tales he will tell his grandchildren. Glad it all ended well.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Well done !

johnnyblues

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
Unbelievable. That young man is a hero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlmaCharte

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.