Airports & Airlines

Thank you Brickburn,
it seems to be the new reality, but because their website is really weak, I will have to pay at the check-in, impossible before . o_O

Thank you Brickburn,
it seems to be the new reality, but because their website is really weak, I will have to pay at the check-in, impossible before . o_O

You can always hope they forget to collect. I have been lucky once.

Hello
I have a question about rifle case as extra bag on AirNamibia.
According to their rules, rifle is considered as sports equipment. see item #41 on http://www.airnamibia.com/travel-info-faq/sports-equipment/
but at the same time I will have to buy a USD 120 extra bag (twice), is it normal ?.
What is your experience (sorry , I am a first timer)
Thank you
Philippe

Hi Philippe - As far as I know your gun case can be included in your free baggage limitation with Air Namibia as long as it is within the weight and dimensions specified. At one time Air Namibia was charging for firearms but don't believe that they are now as long as you only have the two checked bags. Air Namibia does require advance notification of travel with firearms/ammunition.

Hope this helps!
Lori

An Airline backed down on charging a fee?! :eek:

http://www.airnamibia.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/2019_Baggage_policy.pdf

Current Baggage policy. Nothing about the fee.
Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 12.23.23.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 12.23.35.png

@Grz63 Let us know if they don't charge you. I hope @Travel Express is right.

Attachments

• 2019_Baggage_policy.pdf
    622.1 KB · Views: 218
I just booked Toronto to Joberg, using Ethiopian Air for this exact same reason, coming from Vancouver to Joberg return added an extra $600+ for gun/sporting goods extra fees. I am hoping that Ethiopian sticks by its stated rules. Same statement as Namibian Air above. I can also add Ethiopia as a country visited as I picked the long layover in Adidis Ababa. I am flying to Toronto early and staying there after, Canada Post will deliver my weapons to family close to TO Airport before and after safari. Hope this all works.

MB

MarkB, best of luck!

Thank you for your comments.
Currently they charge me 120 USD for this extra bag (they told me I just have to pay "one-leg trip, " , I consider 120 USD as the total). They already know it is a rifle but no extra fee for that (as of now). They were unable to let pay me thru their website as it is a so simple creature. I should pay in Frankfurt at the check -in.
I still have to get the papers ready for FRA airport.
Stormy today in center of France :(

Im planning to fly to Vic Falls from the Miami-US with my rifle and ammo. No matter which itinerary I take, all of them oblige me to take a layover and change airline in Johannesburg (JNB).
Please let me know if anyone can clarify the following 3 questions:

1.- Can I check my rifle and luggage all the way to VicFalls paying a single sports/rifle bag fee from the US.

2.- I'm planning on taking the ammo inside a locked box inside my main suitcase, is this an option as long as it is locked?

3.- Do I have to pick up my bagage in JNB and drop it again at a check in luggage station?

Of course I already called American Airlines, Brithis Airways, etc to ask this and all say the same, basically stating that they can't provide an answer to these questions over the phone.

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Im planning to fly to Vic Falls from the Miami-US with my rifle and ammo. No matter which itinerary I take, all of them oblige me to take a layover and change airline in Johannesburg (JNB).
Please let me know if anyone can clarify the following 3 questions:

1.- Can I check my rifle and lugage all the way to VicFalls paying a single sports/rifle bag fee from the US.

2.- Im planning on taking the ammo inside a locked box inside my main suitcase, is this an option as long as it is locked?

3.- Do I have to pick up my bagage in JNB and drop it again at a check in luggage station?

Of course I already called American Airlines, Brithis Airways, etc to ask this and all say the same, basically stating that they can't provide an answer to these questions over the phone.

Thank you!
1. NO! - you have to pay Airlink their fee too. And you cannot have Zimbabwe on your reservation if transiting Europe & the UK.
2. yes to JNB
3. You pick it up and recheck it at Airlink.

Last edited:
Maybe some one else can correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience on my last trip to Africa going through Jo'berg;

Answer to question 2:

Short answer on arrival to Jo'berg you'll be required to remove your ammo box from your check baggage and it will travel separately to your final destination within Africa.

Because I wasn't returning with ammo my ammo box was left inside my checked bag.

Answer to question 3:

Yes. You still have to pass through SAPS.

Maybe some one else can correct me if I'm wrong, but my experience on my last trip to Africa going through Jo'berg;

Answer to question 2:

Short answer on arrival to Jo'berg you'll be required to remove your ammo box from your check baggage and it will travel separately to your final destination within Africa.

Because I wasn't returning with ammo my ammo box was left inside my checked bag.

Answer to question 3:

Yes. You still have to pass through SAPS.
What is SAPS? This means I need to clear customs, pick up luggage and re-check in? Is there a fee or VISA I need to get or pay in South Africa? How long does this process take?

(1) you will clear immigration
(2) you will get your baggage off the carousel (use a free cart)
(3) you will go to the South African Police Service (SAPS) office and get your firearm and permit.
(4) You will go to the Airlink check-in counter and check your luggage to VF. From there you will go to the Airlink ticket office and pay the firearm fee and then you take your firearm to the Firearm office to have it placed on the plane
(4) you will clear security
(5) you will clear immigration
(6) to your gate.

South African Police Service (SAPS)

Recommendation, use Henry Rifle Premits for your pre approve SAPS Form 820. You will only need to fill out certain parts of the 8 page form.

There isn't any additional charges to clear your weapon(s) and ammo through SAPS. There is a charge for Henry Rifle Premits but the fee is nominal compared to the hassle SAPS can cause. Example: a hunter with weapons and ammo changed his flight itinerary arriving JNB ahead of his original itinerary time. Rather than processing him through with his already approved SAPS 820, SAPS contacted Henry Rifle Premits to assist with his firearm and ammunition import.

Although my itinerary had me transiting through JNB to Zimbabwe and then returning to JNB to Port Elizabeth. SAPS informed me Henry was already in route to help with my permit. In my case SAPS extended my permit from 14 days to 30 days allowing my firearms to clear SAPS upon return from Zimbabwe. I just signed the SAPS book, left my weapons and ammo with SAPS, and left for my flight to PE.

In JNB there are 2 SAPS Offices your first will be upon arrival the second will be on your departure. Two different locations inside the airport.

Depending on fast you read this It takes about the same or less time to pass through SAPS.

I just gave a bit more detail to what wesheltonj listed.

Last edited:
Henry at riflepermits.com Contact him!!!

1. NO! - you have to pay Airlink their fee too. And you cannot have Zimbabwe on your reservation if transiting Europe & the UK.
2. yes to JNB
3. You pick it up and recheck it at Airlink.
@wesheltonj Nailed it! Also the same to @Ridge Runner - good info and Henry does a great job.

There are so many additional considerations regarding airlines and their specific policies, recommend you enlist the help of a pro to help with flights as well. We would be happy to help, just give us a call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg