Airports & Airlines

My gf and I leave on the 21st of June, and we have a 10 hour layover in Frankfurt. Where is the best place to grab a schnitzel and a beer, while relaxing before the next leg of our journey to SA? Thanks in advance.

LiegeRiver

Thought I reviewed EVERYTHING... alas, I got caught with the proverbial pants down. COMAIR (operating from TAMBO to PLZ) does NOT handle firearms for transport. Even though I'm booked all the way through with British Airways and they are part of British Airways network, still no. (Seriously never thought this was even possible). Sooooo, instead of hunting with my favorite rifle, I'm going to rent one from my PH. The change ticket fees are RIDICULOUS... my fault. Should have used a better agent (IE: not one local to me). Maybe... just maybe, there's a reason someone is recommended on this forum???? (SMH)

Only one airline within South Africa handles firearms. South African Airlines. (Currently)

Last edited:
Only one airline in South Africa handles firearms. South African Airlines
Oh yeah, lesson learned... the challenging way. Glad it's just plains game and not Dangerous Game. (But I would have paid the change flight fees for a DG hunt)

Sucks to learn the hard way.

Oh yeah, lesson learned... the challenging way. Glad it's just plains game and not Dangerous Game. (But I would have paid the change flight fees for a DG hunt)
Capt Oscar - yeah, unfortunately ComAir stopped transporting rifles several years ago. South African Air/Airlink/SA Express do transport rifles to "most" locations in Africa. Hope you have a great plains game safari!

Jerome @AfricaHunting.com think you should remove Zambia airways haven't been around for a while, although there is talk of reviving it. Internally in Zambia and to couple of international destinations there is proflight, and a newer internal one is mahogany air .

Zambia

Zambian Airways
www.zambianairways.com
- City: Lusaka
Lusaka International Airport
Airport Code LUN
Located 10 miles (16 km) northeast of the city of Lusaka
- City: Livingstone - city on the border of Zimbabwe near the Victoria Falls, located 290 miles (470 km) southwest of Lusaka capital of Zambia
Livingstone Airport
Airport Code LVI
Located 2 miles (3 km) northwest of the city of Livingstone

Thank you Mike.

Thank you Mike.

But there is a big new terminal being built by the Chinese at Lusaka airport ( Kenneth Kaunda international airport) . If you put it in YouTube there is a computer generated video of what it will look like. So maybe other airlines might start flying here. There are quite a few.
SAA
Emirates
Kenyan
Ethiopian
Namibian
Rwanda
Qatar
Tanzania
Malawi

Possibly some others I can't think of.......

Okay. We fly on the 21st. I do have a couple of questions for you guys. Right now, I am sporting a beard...not as dark as it used to be, lol, but.... I don't have a single piece of photo ID that shows me wearing said beard....will this cause issues when going through Germany, or SA? Shaving it off is not an issue, can be done in five minutes.
I saw something somewhere about the SA authorities not liking it that two persons firearms were carried in the same travel case...anything to that, or are we going to be okay? We both have our Canadian Export permits, we have our German Firearms Transit permits,the SAPS 520 has been applied for by RiflePermits…?
Thanks for any help.

Gord

Should each have own case as both together can cause you grief if either end gets picky coming or going

@BRICKBURN and @AfricaHunting.com. The following is a suggestion/idea. During the past few weeks this is twice now where one of our members on their first hunting trip to Africa has ran into problems while trying to carry guns for family members or other members of their hunting party. Why can't AH just make it a posted "recommendation" that all members to hunt Africa for the first time carrying their own rifle/s with the exception of juvenile members of the party, obtain the paperwork and carry their own cased rifle/s from the beginning. It seems this would eliminate many first timer headaches. For members that have been before and learned the ropes, this would be totally unnecessary. Just a thought!

@BRICKBURN and @AfricaHunting.com. The following is a suggestion/idea. During the past few weeks this is twice now where one of our members on their first hunting trip to Africa has ran into problems while trying to carry guns for family members or other members of their hunting party. Why can't AH just make it a posted "recommendation" that all members to hunt Africa for the first time carrying their own rifle/s with the exception of juvenile members of the party, obtain the paperwork and carry their own cased rifle/s from the beginning. It seems this would eliminate many first timer headaches. For members that have been before and learned the ropes, this would be totally unnecessary. Just a thought!
Thank you for the suggestion @sierraone!

See: First Timer African Safari Common Mistakes To Avoid: https://www.africahunting.com/threads/first-timer-african-safari-common-mistakes-to-avoid.50907/.

Okay. We fly on the 21st. I do have a couple of questions for you guys. Right now, I am sporting a beard...not as dark as it used to be, lol, but.... I don't have a single piece of photo ID that shows me wearing said beard....will this cause issues when going through Germany, or SA? Shaving it off is not an issue, can be done in five minutes.
I saw something somewhere about the SA authorities not liking it that two persons firearms were carried in the same travel case...anything to that, or are we going to be okay? We both have our Canadian Export permits, we have our German Firearms Transit permits,the SAPS 520 has been applied for by RiflePermits…?
Thanks for any help.

Gord

Yes, I’ve been jacked up on hair length. Thankfully most now use facial recognition software and you get to bypass humans, that can jack you up. But unless RSA has installed that, I would shave.

Thanks for any help.

Gord

No u dont need to shave! I was in same boat as u none of my photo ids showed me with a beard but flew over with one and it was not an issue. As for the two guns two guys one case thing your using riflepermits hes far more of an expert on the matter then anyone else ask him as he’ll be doin all work to get ur guns anyways!

Looking into upcoming travel needs, noted that several EU airlines are charging per weapon and not per gun case when I inquired directly ( not sure this was the case during my previous trips). Some of the information was not evident on the US sites but I was kindly provided the links below. Since my Boyt 2-gun [198cm] case exceeds the 158cm limit, I was informed I would have to pay not only the per gun transport/security fees but also the over-sized baggage fee (Swiss= [$367 per gun one way x 2 x 2] $1468+ Oversize bag fee $230 each way and if over sized and overweight then $633 each way]. Basically it was 3x the economy class fare. To bad I can't get them a second seat like a guitar or a cello [those strings could be deadly]! While several EU airlines offered better itineraries, Emirates won out this round again.

Swiss Air https://www.swiss.com/za/EN/prepare/baggage/sport-equipment#t-page=pane1

Sport Firearms: 1 bag containing the weapon1 bag containing the ammunition

Number of bags allowed in total-2

158cm (height+width+depth)

USD 287/CAD 375

Charges may apply for the transport of sporting firearms and hunting weapons as a result of regulations in force in either the departure or destination country. These will be charged in addition to the rate for carrying sports equipment.

South Africa USD 80

Ethiopian Airlines Baggage Policy (Effective 09 Jul 19-UFN) https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/ET/EN/information/baggage/excess-and-special-baggage

Sporting/Hunting Weapons plus Ammunition-SPEQ=$100

Sporting/Hunting guns, pistols, rifles plus ammunition (according to IATA DGR Regulations and if packed in a separate bag)

These excess baggage rates shall be applicable per PORTION and ADD should be a transfer point (e.g. for the one way itinerary London-Addis Ababa-Zanzibar, the Excess baggage charge shall be assessed for London-Zanzibar), but if Addis Ababa is a stopover then charge shall be accessed per sector as London-Addis Ababa plus Addis Ababa-Zanzibar

-The excess baggage charge for sporting equipment can be collected in local currency of the departure station.

-Provided that the below three criteria’s are fulfilled, any sporting equipment shall be transported for free on Ethiopian flights.
1)The passenger is carrying only 1 checked-in baggage, making the sporting equipment the 2nd PC
2)The weight of the sporting equipment is less than or equal to 23 Kgs even if it is the 2nd PC.
3) The dimension of the sporting equipment is less than or equal to 158cms or 62 inches,

ANY equipment in excess of the applicable weight and dimension (i.e. 23kgs & 158cms/62 inches respectively) shall be transported as excess baggage based on the established excess baggage rates provided that the dimension fit into the aircraft's belly . Payment is non-refundable/non-re routable and NON-ENDORSABLE

Firearm Declaration Form: https://www.ethiopianairlines.com/AA/EN/information/essential/conditions-of-carriage

Hello
I have a question about rifle case as extra bag on AirNamibia.
According to their rules, rifle is considered as sports equipment. see item #41 on http://www.airnamibia.com/travel-info-faq/sports-equipment/
but at the same time I will have to buy a USD 120 extra bag (twice), is it normal ?.
What is your experience (sorry , I am a first timer)
Thank you
Philippe

Hello
I have a question about rifle case as extra bag on AirNamibia.
According to their rules, rifle is considered as sports equipment. see item #41 on http://www.airnamibia.com/travel-info-faq/sports-equipment/
but at the same time I will have to buy a USD 120 extra bag (twice), is it normal ?.
What is your experience (sorry , I am a first timer)
Thank you
Philippe

Philippe,
1. Firearms are categorized as Sporting Equipment with most airlines.

2. Air Namibia has caught up with many first world airlines on charging extra fees. If I recall correctly, they started charging the fee for firearms transportation on a per flight basis last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg