Airlines transporting firearms Johannesburg to Victoria Falls and Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth

Ed Lally

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
USA, Canada, South Africa
We are 6 month away from our rescheduled southern Africa trip in May 2021 which now includes a Cape Buffalo and PG hunt in the Deka Safari area in Zimbabwe, followed by a tour in Victoria Falls and Chobe, followed by a second PG hunt in the Eastern Cape (we have to make up for 2020) and a tour of that area. Flights from Boston to Joburg and then back home at the end of the trip will be on Qatar, however, we still have to get from Joburg to Vic Falls, back through Joburg tp Port Elizabeth and then from Port Eliz to Joberg with firearms. I know I could use rental firearms but that does not work for me. Does anyone have confirmed and up to date information on airlines that travel these routes and are currently approved to carry firearms? Thank you in advance for your response. Ed

Hello Ed;

Airlink is flying firearms. They picked up a number of SAA routes...

1605636263645.png

Good luck on your hunt :)

Ed
We are waiting a bit to book our JNB-PLZ flights as so much has changed on the schedules. I am hoping Airlink puts a late flight on the schedule as there is not one right now. We are going late July on Delta.

Not at home with our proposed flights but I believe that Qatar fllys out of Boston and New York at about 2300 and arrives in JNB about 400 or 500, more than enough time for the AirLink 810 or 1015 flights to PLZ. My problem is a firearms transporting flight from JNB to and from Victoria Falls. Ed

If I understand you correctly you will fly from Joburg to Vic Falls and then back to Joburg to commence your second hunt. If so one option would be to store your firearms in Joburg and pick them up when you return. I did that several years ago when I went to Vic Falls. Contact Anne at Air 2000/Hunters Support for that option if you are interested. Her company is in Johannesburg and she has been extremely helpful to us in our many trips to Africa.

I stored my firearms twice in Joburg. Gracy travel took care of all the arrangements and it was a smooth process.

Not at home with our proposed flights but I believe that Qatar fllys out of Boston and New York at about 2300 and arrives in JNB about 400 or 500, more than enough time for the AirLink 810 or 1015 flights to PLZ. My problem is a firearms transporting flight from JNB to and from Victoria Falls. Ed

As @One Day... posted, it looks like Airlink can do what you need. I flew Airlink from JNB to Bulawayo and they did a good job.

Airlink info on firearms: https://www.flyairlink.com/baggage-info/animal-in-hold#412firearmsandammuni

Thanks for the suggestions. I too have stored firearms at Joburg, at Africa Sky Lodge. Wonderful service and great place to overnight or even stay a few days. Not the whole but the main purpose of this trip is to hunt a truly free range Cape Buffalo up close and personal with my Krieghoff Classic in 470 NE. I can easily hunt a nice Cape Buffalo in South Africa with that gun but it would lack the free range component. I look forward to the chance but not guarantee of a big old bull in the wild. Zim offers that. I have hunted and realize that there are truly some big, even gigantic concessions in SA but you can only hunt what is inside the fence. I could also hunt Cape Buffalo with my Blaser pro in 375 H&H or my Blaser Safari in 458 Lott in SA but I know what I really want and that requires MY firearms in Zim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaja

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,