Airline Flights From Denver Colorado USA to Port Elizabeth South Africa

I've pretty much decided that I am going to fly out of Denver to NY on a domestic flight and then take SSA the rest of the way. I am also dealing with Lori on the flight.

Delta may be nice but a extra $700 for the flight to Johannesburg and then paying SSA to fly to Port Elizabeth priced them out of the running.

We are just a couple of poor hunters wanting to go on a hunt of a lifetime, that is unless I will the lottery between now and when we leave. Then I'll charter a flight down there.

Surprised there is that much difference in price.

Certainly don't blame you. $700 is another trophy you get to shoot!

Have a blast.

Just returned from the delta direct flight on sunday. For a looonnnggg flight they did a good job. Only problem was with the S.A. express flight. The locals call them S.A. "except" flights. Mine was delayed 4 hours due to maintenance. if I was doing it over I would just have had the outfitter pick me up in Joberg, if you have that option.

Just returned from the delta direct flight on sunday. For a looonnnggg flight they did a good job. Only problem was with the S.A. express flight. The locals call them S.A. "except" flights. Mine was delayed 4 hours due to maintenance. if I was doing it over I would just have had the outfitter pick me up in Joberg, if you have that option.

K,

You've been home three days. Where's your hunting report? We are eagerly wait for it and lots of photos!(y):)

Ageing it in my head like a fine wine.........
Besides, the stories get better with time, the trophies bigger, the effort harder, etc.
Soon!!!!!!

Ageing it in my head like a fine wine.........
Besides, the stories get better with time, the trophies bigger, the effort harder, etc.
Soon!!!!!!

Sounds great!

Don't put something on the internet to soon. You won't be able to embellish it later.:E Happy:

I booked SAA direct flight to jo-burg for this summer. The four of us are flying first class and it was still cheaper than a delta flight. My travel agent told me even had SAA been more expensive it is worth the extra money to fly with them. As it turned out it wasn't and 4 tickets ran about 10230. On the way out We are flying out of Port E then Jo-burg then home. It was only like a 100$ add on to fly out of Port E.

I booked SAA direct flight to jo-burg for this summer. The four of us are flying first class and it was still cheaper than a delta flight. My travel agent told me even had SAA been more expensive it is worth the extra money to fly with them. As it turned out it wasn't and 4 tickets ran about 10230. On the way out We are flying out of Port E then Jo-burg then home. It was only like a 100$ add on to fly out of Port E.

is that $10,230.00 per ticket each ? because if its for the 4 tickets total at approx $2550.00 each , then they are the cheapest 1st class tickets ever.....even cheap for buisness class

That was for all four. Direct flight to Jo-burg from Washington DC. We fly from DFW to Washington then direct to Jo-burg.

Please excuse my ignorance I thought business class was the new pc term for first class. They are business class tickets the four ran 10230. I used Jennifer Topi with cabelas travel to book them. She's pretty awesome. I booked my trip insurance through her also. She's been super to deal with and does a good job.

Please excuse my ignorance I thought business class was the new pc term for first class. They are business class tickets the four ran 10230..

no there is still 1st class but airlines dont always run it on some routes, with business/club class the top option (virgins upper class is their premiere class but basically the same as ba business apart from the bar you can stand at, but for some reason if you are having too good a time the fasten seat belt sign comes on even though there is no turbulence!!, so virgin dont have a 1st class in the manner of ba and others). with british airways and virgin the next one down is world traveller plus/premium economy(different names for the seperate airlines but basically the same) then economy. dont know if usa or other coutries airlines have this class. i know one of the ba usa partner airlines didnt have it when i was looking at routes one time. its a good compromise with more seat width and legroom but a lot cheaper than business most of the time. with the evolution of air seating, business on ba anyway is basically what 1st used to be with fully electric flatbed seating, with world traveller plus being only slightly below what club/business seating used to be. there isnt really much difference between business and 1st (definitely not for the BIG price difference) until you get onto the newer/bigger planes that have individual suites fot 1st class. and that price is a good deal for business class, helps to be able to know early when you are flying :)

Last edited:
Oh, thank you. I think I got a pretty good deal. I flew economy to Manaus Brazil back in October. It was only a six hour flight but sheesh. That was more than long enough crammed in that little seat. All they had was economy and business class on that flight. I guess that's where I got the idea they were one in the same.

I haven't flown SAA from the U.S. to RSA. But I flew on Lufthansa to Germany where I then connected to SAA to Jo'burg. I had no problem with SAA and in fact I thought the experience was a bit nicer on SAA than Lufthansa.

The one upside to to flying SAA from JFK to Tambo is you'll arrive in the morning and I should think be able to make your next connection that day. The one downside is going through JFK with rifles involves a bit of getting to know the fine folks from the Port Authority. I've not experienced that, but have heard it is not a big deal provided you allow for the time it takes there.
I live in NY and have been flying out of JFK on hunting trips for over 30 years, I have yet to ever have a problem with the Port Authority police. In fact all have always been very helpful and very nice. Only thing you need to be concerned with is having enough time between flights. I have waited as long as 10 minutes to almost an hour for them to get to the check in counter. After checking your ID you then go with them to the TSA office where again everyone is super nice but again you need time.

I've flown both the SAA flight via JFK and the straight shot from ATL to Joburg. The SAA flight was when I was living in Mississippi and the two Delta flights have been out of Colorado Springs and Denver.

I can 100% suggest going the ATL route and avoid the Dakar stop! Not only do you get to sit on the ground for an additional two hours, but you also get to place your luggage in your lap while they walk down the isles spraying some sort of pyrethroid basically choking you to death.

I just want to get from point A to B with as little hassle as possible, which is a straight shot from the US to Joburg.

When going via ATL you will likely need to overnight in Joburg. I've done it twice, once at the Afton House and lately at African Sky Guest House. I highly recommend African Sky over Afton House.

My first trip, I went straight on to Durbin, which when I landed I was a walking zombie! I much prefer the stop in Joburg to get a shower, something to eat and a comfy bed. Then, start fresh in the morning. By the time you get to Port Elizabeth the following day, you'll have time to go to the rifle range, probably take a drive around the property and be ready to hit it hard the following day.

Good luck with your hunt and safe travels!

PS: you need to give me a couple tips on bears there in unit 44! I hunt it every year, but no luck yet!(y)

We are still trying to decide on what to do but with Delta's airfair $700+ more expensive and then having to purchase a ticket from Joburg to Port Elizabeth it is even more expensive. Either way the flight is going to be a killer.

Bears in 44 are where you find them. There are a lot of them on the north side of Red Table mountain and around Leads Reservoir. Also around Old's Man's Gulch on the southwest boundary line. Then if you hunt towards Lake Creek, I would hunt them near the subdivisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdwinaHedr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you