AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Quote from Air Namibia: "Planning on an active break ? No worries! You can bring your sports equipment on your travels with Air Namibia."

Sport or Hunting Weapons
Surcharges: US$ 100
Definition: Sporting/Hunting guns, pistols, rifles plus ammunition (according to IATA DGR Regulations and if packed in a separate bag)

Weapons used for sport or hunting must be declared and are then only charged PER separate weapons case.

Packing Firearms and ammunition
- Firearms and/or ammunition will be accepted provided they are packed in an appropriate carriage case.
- Firearms and ammunition are not allowed in hold luggage with general personal possessions.
- All firearms have to be packed separately from the ammunition and must be in a locked firearms case.
- The ammunition must be separate and in its own locked bag/container of not more then5 kg (10 lbs).

In these instances you will not be charged for the extra bag(s) but will be subject to the appropriate handling fee(s).

Preparing firearms for travel
- Each firearm carried must be accompanied by the appropriate firearms certificate.
- The firearm must be unloaded.
- Ammunition must be packed in either its original packaging or in a suitable container that prevents movement between shells or cartridges, i.e. loose ammunition is not permitted.
- Bags with ammunition must not bear ç²—xplosives labels.

Archery Equipment:
Surcharges: US$ 100
Definition: a set of bow and arrow packed in a durable protective container

Source: Air Namibia Air Namibia | Sports Equipment - Air Namibia

No worries, we will gladly charge you another $100 and make you pack your ammo seperate, it makes everything more inconvenient...oh, well.

Bummer. Sounds like the "bow in a bag" might not even get around this.

Having spent a lifetime in the airline business I'll say that every airline will be doing this and more. They are going the way of banking in the USA. The banks make their money on fees and charges for every little thing they do "for their customers".
And the traveling hunter is thought of as well heeled so the cost is insignificant to him in the minds of the airline vs the money spent on safari.
On the other side of the coin, there is a significant cost factor to special handling of our hunting items as opposed to just dumping all the regular bags on the belt.

" Firearms and/or ammunition will be accepted provided they are packed in an appropriate carriage case."

I hate language like this. It makes me wonder what "appropriate" means.

I smelled the first whiff of this when I boarded Air Namibia last June and the fellow checking in was having to pay the fees.
I had hoped it was not so.

Wanting more butts in the seats, you'd think they would not be first in line at the trough!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross