AHR Custom CZ Safari 550 DGR 450 Rigby

450 Rigby

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
NRA
I purchased this rifle a couple years ago from Champlin Arms. I've taken it to the range a few times and it shoots very well with 500gr Swift A-Frames cutting cloverleaf groups at 50 yards behind 108gr H-4350. It will hold 3 rounds down with room to spare plus one in the spout. It cycles absolutely flawlessly. I've been on the fence about selling it but I have a Safari booked with KMG/Marius Goosen in September '23. I know there's various upgrades that AHR does but this one is pretty special....I'd call it a #3 plus if there was one. The pics don't really do the rifle justice. The barrel appears to be a full custom barrel...not a cutdown factory barrel. I'm including the product description from Champlin Arms since George Caswell does a better job at it than I do....

American Hunting Rifles (AHR) from Corvallis, Mt., 450 Rigby, Model Safari 550 DGR (Dangerous Game Rifle), Built on the CZ 550 Magnum double square bridge action, Claw extractor, 22 1/4" barrel, 23 5/8" with AHR installed removable muzzle brake, The threaded muzzle has a cap, Island rear sight base with 1 standing & 1 folding rear sights, Barrel band sling eye, Barrel band front ramp with a spring-lock sight protector, Talley lever quick detachable 30mm rings, Mounted with a Swarovski Z6i 1-6 x 24 scope with their illuminated reticle, AHR single stage trigger that has a very nice let-off, Hinged floorplate with a frontal bow release, Belly magazine, 3 position Model 70 type wing safety on the bolt shroud done by AHR, Double steel crossbolts, Classic style stock with fleur-de-lis checkering with a ribbon, Shadowline cheekpiece, Ebony grip cap, Ebony forend tip, A nice piece of English Walnut, 13 7/8" LOP over a 7/8" decelerator pad, 10 lbs. 6 oz. without the Swarovski and 11 Lbs. 12 oz. with it mounted; AHR blueprints the receiver, trues the front of the receiver for proper barrel alignment and laps the bolt lugs, They glass bed the stock, Original factory satin Gunkote finish that remains at 99.5%, Original factory stock finish and it remains at 99.5%, The checkering is at 100%, The bore is new. This is a well-built tough rifle with a true full-length magnum action that will properly handle the 450 Rigby cartridge for serious hunting.

This one remains as close to new as you'll find. Wayne over at AHR says they're running around $9K along with over a 1 year wait now due to the CZ 550 action shortages. I'll take $6250 w/o optics or $8000 with the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24mm scope plus shipping & insurance in a hard case.

20220627_150001.jpg
20220627_150006.jpg
20220627_150010.jpg
20220627_150015.jpg
20220627_150032.jpg
20220627_150036.jpg
20220627_150053.jpg
20220627_150045.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Stunning rifle. This is a sale that will haunt you one day!

Beautiful rifle, good luck with the sale.

Super set up! There was a CZ 550 in 450 Rigby on GB
It lasted 20 minutes

Thanks guys. It's a very nice rifle. Someone will enjoy it.

If it doesn't sell I'll probably use it on my Cape Buffalo hunt next year with KMG. I've got a couple of 416 Rem Mags so I'm gonna move something along to raise funds for the hunt...y'all know how that goes.

Check out my other rifles. I've listed a 375 Ruger, 358 Norma & a 270 Win. All are very nice rifles.

I've taken it to the range a few times and it shoots very well with 500gr Swift A-Frames cutting cloverleaf groups at 50 yards behind 108gr H-4350.
What kind of speed does the AF run with this charge? Anyone have data for a 550 gr, how fast can you push one with a full power load? @tarbe

What kind of speed does the AF run with this charge? Anyone have data for a 550 gr, how fast can you push one with a full power load? @tarbe
I didn't get a chance to chronograph the 500gr A-Frames but I do have a Oehler 35P now. If you'd like I'll take it out next week when I'm home and run a few over the chronograph. They should be in the 2400 + fps range. You can run a 550gr SP around 2275 fps per Woodleigh manual. I personally have not tried the 550gr SP.

No need to shoot it, sounds like a pretty stout load. I run my AHR Lott at about 2175 fps with a 500 gr bullet and it's not bad at all to shoot.

No need to shoot it, sounds like a pretty stout load. I run my AHR Lott at about 2175 fps with a 500 gr bullet and it's not bad at all to shoot.
This is the first large 458 caliber I've had. It does recoil pretty significantly with the brake on. I have not removed the brake and fired it. I'm sure it's manageable off the sticks but it's quite brisk from the bench, sighting in or doing load development.

I know there's some load data out there for up to 600gr SP loads. I'd be willing to bet it'll go 2100 fps plus with a 600gr SP and the right powder. Not sure my cajones are big enough to shoot a 600gr out of the beast just yet though.

This is a steal and should have sold last week!!

I don't know about 550's in a 450 Rigby but mine shoots factory Federal 500 DGS and DGX at 2450 fps.

completely off track, but a 450Rigby was my first choice for a stopping caliber. Unfortunately after searching over a year, i came up empty handed.
550gr @ 2,200 would be a very effective stopper.

Last edited:
If you have the 550gr Woodleigh that I had....not very fast if you want the bullet to hold together!!!

Woodleigh says max 2,200 impact so I loaded to only 2,175 to play it safe. My bullet only retained about 59% and did not make it to the off side shoulder...was found in the thoracic cavity.

Woodleigh admitted to having issues with bonding for a time. Just make sure you test your lot. I wish I had!

If you have the 550gr Woodleigh that I had....not very fast if you want the bullet to hold together!!!

Woodleigh says max 2,200 impact so I loaded to only 2,175 to play it safe. My bullet only retained about 59% and did not make it to the off side shoulder...was found in the thoracic cavity.

Woodleigh admitted to having issues with bonding for a time. Just make sure you test your lot. I wish I had!
Won't be using any woodleigh's, North Fork's won't come apart so I am not worried about that, how much room did you have left?

North Fork also makes a 550gr PP, SS & the CPS in 458. The PP is designed to open rapidly for cats but I'd be willing to bet at 2200 fps plus the 550gr PP will penetrate to the offside hide of a Buffalo. I imagine that bullet is very long as the 450gr PP is longer than the 500gr Swift A-Frame. Magazine box length should be considered.

Beautiful stock and excellent scope. I thought it would sell by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross