AHR Custom CZ 550 American Safari Magnum 458 Lott Barrel 24" Number 2 Upgrade In Bell & Carlson Stock

I accept check or money order. Located in United States. Sending PM

I’ve got almost the exact same rifle and upgrades from Wayne. I did replace the trigger but did not replace the safety. Wayne does great work so buy with confidence!!

These CZs aren’t built anymore and Wayne has retired so someone here should buy this rifle. It’s ready to go to Africa and Alaska. Mine shoots 500 grain Barnes TTSX, Swift A-Frames and Federal Premium Safari Woodleigh solids in 1 MOA groups. The coated metal parts are impervious to the elements and easy to clean.

One thing I've learned over the decades is that customized or fully-custom hunting guns (not featuring fine wood, metal work) don't necessarily appreciate with work over time. In-fact, just the opposite typically applies...It's akin to buying a used hotrod (as opposed to an original musclecar). Good luck! On a positive note, as Kevin Robertson would say, it's now fit for a DG Safari (as the factory ones were not,) and, as it's ready to go, some without the luxury of time may find it appealing to simply sight-in and go! Do you have the original 550 S stock w/ crossbolts? I'd reinstall them in the synthetic stock a la Granite Mtn (if they didn't interfere w/ any aluminum bedding block/pillars, which I don't believe the McMillans have?) What is the weight of the gun?

AHR Custom CZ 550 American Safari Magnum 458 Lott Barrel cut and recrowned to 24" number 2 upgrade but with the factory trigger and safety cleaned up and tuned by wayne. I liked the set trigger and chose to keep it and the factory trigger is a good reliable trigger. Rifle is in a brown with black spiderweb Bell and Carlson stock and bedded by wayne and all work and metal work guncote finished by Wayne back when he was doing the work still for AHR. This is my ultimate DGR gun! I do not need to sell it and am only willing to sell it if I get the price that I want for it. I have not fired this rifle since getting it back from AHR. Wayne did test function and set the open sights for 50 yards. You can not get these rifles any longer and wayne does not do the work anymore. I know what I have and I will not be able to replace it. Leupold steel high rings and a Burris RT6 1-6 SCOPE.

NEW PRICING $4000 RIFLE ONLY
NEW PRICING $4500 RIFLE WITH SCOPE AND RINGS

Serious Buyers only
A bit much. Mine is custom with a camo Kevlar bedded stock. See no reason to go from 25” to 24”. The Lott is a good caliber for several of the big 5 though. Can’t imagine it being worth $4500 though. Worth it to me when shooting at a dangerous animal, yet you can still get them for about $2,000 if you are patient.

A bit much. Mine is custom with a camo Kevlar bedded stock. See no reason to go from 25” to 24”. The Lott is a good caliber for several of the big 5 though. Can’t imagine it being worth $4500 though. Worth it to me when shooting at a dangerous animal, yet you can still get them for about $2,000 if you are patient.
You shouldn’t use a $2000 factory CZ Lott for DG unless you’ve had it worked on. Mine and most don’t feed reliably until worked on. Wayne fixed this one and mine so the comparison you make on price is apples to oranges.

Last edited:
You shouldn’t use a $2000 factory CZ Lott for DG unless you’ve had it worked on. Mine and most don’t feed reliably until worked on. Wayne fixed this one and mine so the comparison you make on price is apples to oranges.
I wish I’d known that before I shot all those buffalo with my outta the box never worked on CZ 375 that I’ve never had problem with. Or the stock CZ in 416 Rigby I just used on the dugga boy I just took July. (I bought that one for $1600 in May). I used Swift A Frames in the 416 & Barnes & Woodleigh Weldcores in the 375 without any feed issues even with charges out of brush.

It’s a .458 Lott issue that’s fairly well known with CZ.

I wish I’d known that before I shot all those buffalo with my outta the box never worked on CZ 375 that I’ve never had problem with. Or the stock CZ in 416 Rigby I just used on the dugga boy I just took July. (I bought that one for $1600 in May). I used Swift A Frames in the 416 & Barnes & Woodleigh Weldcores in the 375 without any feed issues even with charges out of brush.
Good for you but it’s a CZ .458 Lott issue that’s fairly well known. Again, apples and oranges.

1. It's poor form, if you don't want to buy it why post? How are you contributing anything of value?

2. I'm not sure you truly understand who the smith is that worked on this rifle. Wayne is the authority when it comes to making CZs run like a sewing machine.

3. Wayne no longer works on these rifles, which is a shame. CZ also longer makes them. OP set the price, the market will tell him what the value of it is without any input from us.

OP you have a very nice rifle, GLWS

This exact gun would of very likely gotten someone hurt or killed if they took it out of the box and went dangerous game hunting. Most all of the 458 LOTT chambered CZ 550's need work (as did this one). Wayne from AHR told me that. He is more than a little familiar with these guns. This gun would not feed a round from the magazine, the bolt would go part way forward and the gun would jam only way to fire it was to single load directly into the chamber and I do not like doing that with a claw extractor. I feel it is hard on the extractors to do so, so I only fired a few shots that way before eventually sending it off to Wayne to fix and upgrade. Anyone looking at a CZ 550 in this cartridge needs to be aware of this. I would not trust an out of the box cz 550 chambered in 458 lott without a competent gunsmith who is familiar with the 550's checking it out first. I did have a 375 hh cz 550 and it was great out of the box traded it towards the work on this gun. Wish I had kept that one in hindsight. What I am saying is specific to the 458 lott chambered ones.
Yes you can likely get out of box stock cz 550 in 458 lott for less when they are put for sale occasionally but this is not an out of box rifle it is a AHR #2 WITH Factory tuned trigger and safety in a bell and carlson stock. lets add it up rifle if you can find one about $2,000 + stock $335 + upgrade which you can no longer get done from wayne but is available from matrix current cost is $1,795 (see link below)
total cost would be $4,130
My price of $3,900 is reasonable.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.31.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.31.13 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.31.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 9.31.14 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
CLOSING THIS THREAD POSTED NEW BETTER ADD WITH LOWER PRICE HOPEFULLY WILL HAVE BETTER LUCK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MollieTwop

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg