AH MEMBER HUNT - NUMBER OF DAYS? POLL

How many HUNTING days would you like for this hunt?

• 5 Hunting Days

• 7 Hunting Days

• 10 hunting Days

Results are only viewable after voting.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Please assist with the development of the AH MEMBER HUNT.
You have to vote to see the results of this POLL.
I have made the votes private.

I'll start with this simple question.

Select one answer: 5, 7 or 10 days hunting.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seven sure seems good to me for a group hunt. Besides, it isn't like if someone wanted to stay longer or shorter, or to add a hunt elsewhere that it couldn't be sorted out.

You are right on the money Royal.
Someone can always add more time, hunt elsewhere.

This is a starting point.

Keep the votes coming in.

You are right on the money Royal.
Someone can always add more time, hunt elsewhere.

This is a starting point.

LOL that was my exact thought. 7 days with AHers and 5-7 in another area afterwards

Royal, I agree;) 5 days just gets you started good... A PH feels pressure to get your animals on a short hunt and may need to have you shoot a trophy that he would pass on if you have more time.... I personally like more like 10 but voted 7 because it makes the most sense on a group hunt to keep it a comfortable length of time, not to much and lot to little. And like you said, if it is a hunt in an area and with an outfitter I'm wanting more time with, I'll schedule to stay on myself or with one or two others if like minded.

And as I like to spend 2-3 weeks total once I make that miserable flight, I might add on another hunt to the trip.

The idea we ran by Jerome was for two 7 day hunts with two different sponsors on one trip.

Depending on what and where the hunt is located and the possible trophy that are available for a person to have a chance at.

I voted for the 7 day trip.

I realize that a shorter hunt may be the ticket, however a longer one could turn in to a cabin fever experience.

I know i have went on longer and and like to be in the 10 day range. I usually take a few days prior to the hunt to do some touring and get my sleeping pattern adjusted.

I also would look at a second hunt, to go after something that i do not have.

And as I like to spend 2-3 weeks total once I make that miserable flight, I might add on another hunt to the trip.

Might,??? That miserable flight.
First time, you are so excited and a little anxious you don't pay much attention.
On the way back you learn just how bloody long it is. From that point on you make sure you spend enough time on the ground to try and forget that you had to get on a plane to get there. :)

I also look at the cost of the flight (and misery) as "overhead" expense of my hunt. Say with my wife we spend $5000 and 4 days on travel (total, with driving, parking, etc. ).... Divide that by 5 days and it is $1000/day of the hunt to travel there and back... And it is 44% of our time away! Make that a 14 day hunt and it is $357/day and the travel is 22% of the time away.

Or another way, if I take 5 animals it is $1000 each vs $500 each for 10. Or only $333 per head on 15! Efficiency.

My wife tells me to just shut up about this stuff because I don't think like normal people..... But I do get her to buy in so it must have some logic as she is very logical ;)

If l could get in on this next year which ,theres no way l can
Seven day hunting with you lads then five to ten days some where else would be the way to go, whether it was hunt or touring , more than likely both

I also look at the cost of the flight (and misery) as "overhead" expense of my hunt. Say with my wife we spend $5000 and 4 days on travel (total, with driving, parking, etc. ).... Divide that by 5 days and it is $1000/day of the hunt to travel there and back... And it is 44% of our time away! Make that a 14 day hunt and it is $357/day and the travel is 22% of the time away.

Or another way, if I take 5 animals it is $1000 each vs $500 each for 10. Or only $333 per head on 15! Efficiency.

My wife tells me to just shut up about this stuff because I don't think like normal people..... But I do get her to buy in so it must have some logic as she is very logical ;)

Bob me old mate
Im certain you are related to my bussiness parteners

5 days with a group hunt having a good laugh, targeting easier species and another 5 days on on your own somewhere targeting something specific and maybe a bit more difficult/challenging.

Exactly! I'm not going that far for a week.... yuck... glad we agree on that.

and I am going to show Nancy your math, just so she knows I'm not the only one who does that! She couldn't have cared less when I explained to her how much money I saved by shooting the hippo on the same trip as the buff. LOL

Bob I never got that detailed in to figuring out what I saved. Some how I did not come back with any extra money left over when I was done but I did get more for my money like your figures show. LOL Could be all the extra animals we hunted though that took any extra left. I will never fly over pay all that for airfare and not do at least 2 weeks but like doing 3 weeks the best.
With that said I could see new guys only wanting to do 7 days for there first trip. Plus I would still tell anyone looking to go if they can only do 7 days it is still better then never going to Africa.

I think the result so far is fairly indicative.

Appreciate Members providing the valuable feedback

With another posse of members voting the numbers are showing some definite direction.

All the folks who just jumped it to put pictures in the contest, feel free to add your opinion to the poll.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LawerenceV

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross